PDA

View Full Version : Changed strings

Robert
August 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Kind of a lame post, but I am excited that I finally have new strings on my Suhr. :bravo: Sounds much betta now.

I am not sure why, but I end up changing strings very rarely on my guitars. 2 of them still have stock strings on. :eek:

Call me Mr. Lazy. :cool:

rylanmartin
August 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Does "New strings day" come before or after "New socks day" in your list of special feelings? I think "New underpants day" is pretty high up there...but the "New Socks Day" and "clean kitchen floor" combo is pretty sweet.

I wanna try new strings, socks, underpants, and possible haircut all in one day some time....would the world implode?

pes_laul
August 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Maybe it's because you have to many guitars? :eek:

Robert
August 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM
How would you possibly find enough time to do all those things in one day?
New socks day is a very special day indeed, it's high up there. At least if they are wool socks.

marnold
August 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I restrung my/my son's Squier '51 on Saturday. I didn't realize how gross those old strings had gotten. I had to remind him to make sure that his hands are clean before playing.

duhvoodooman
August 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I know what you mean. It gets hard to keep up with restringing when you have several guitars. I just do mine when the "twang" on the low E starts to sound more like "thunk". Just did the Xaviere Tele copy this weekend, and my Epi Elitist LP Standard needs it next. I made myself a little Excel spreadsheet to track when I change the strings. If anybody wants a copy, PM me with an e-mail addy to send it to.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I re-strung my son's a few weeks ago, and am moving on to my strat that is wayyyy overdue. Not original strings, but still. The Hagstrom is probably coming due soon too, though those strings are less than a year old, so I should have a few years left in them. ;) :D

M29
August 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I just restrung my strat the other day. I am trying out the D'Addario 9.5's. So far it seems like a good compromise between 9's and 10's. I usually wait until I am going to redress a fret or do some other mod or upgrade before I change strings. It happends often enough to keep the strings fairly fresh.

SuperSwede
August 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Kind of a lame post, but I am excited that I finally have new strings on my Suhr. :bravo: Sounds much betta now.

I am not sure why, but I end up changing strings very rarely on my guitars. 2 of them still have stock strings on. :eek:

:bravo:

I got new strings on my strat when the luthier worked on the nut... I think the old ones were on for 6-7 months. Probably time for another setup around christmas :D

bigG
August 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM

I'm guilty of the same thing, I admit. Strings seem to last me a good while. I always wash hands before playing and wipe down the body and neck/strings w a polishing cloth (including between the strings and fretboard).

I think I just gradually get used to the strings sounding "old" (or aging) w/o realizing it, 'cause once I do finally change 'em it is such an improvement. But it's not something I really keep track of. I just change 'em when I feel it's time to.

evenkeel
August 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I seem to be on the every 5-6 week program. I notice a bit more of a muffled, or thumpy tone, lack of sparkle. Sure enough 5-6 weeks have gone bye. Like duhvoodooman I keep track via a simple excel program. I also note set ups, adjustments, etc..

Kazz
August 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Strum will love this thread.

street music
August 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I too change 5-6 weeks on the ones being played regularly.

peachhead
August 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm about due to change the strat strings, but I've not done it enough to be comfortable with it, so I'm not looking forward to it.
I need to get a couple more sets, cause I know I'm about to break some....

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I felt the same way Peach, and last change, I just watched Robert's vid on it that he has on Dolphinstreet, and it made it very simple so I could just go for it and not over think it.

Lev
August 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I find since I started playing regular gigs that I need to change strings once a month. My hands sweat so much during a show and my strat is usually wet after 2 hours (Gross I know). I can't use for any more than 3 gigs in a row without a change of strings.

DVM you are the most organised man in the world!!! :master:

Robert
August 26th, 2009, 07:11 AM
DVM you are the most organised man in the world!!! :master:

He is for sure!

Rumour has it he also uses a spreadsheet for when to eat breakfast, lunch and supper, as well as when to brush his teeth... :D

peachhead
August 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I felt the same way Peach, and last change, I just watched Robert's vid on it that he has on Dolphinstreet, and it made it very simple so I could just go for it and not over think it.

I'll have to check that out!
I saw one not long ago but I can't for the life of me remember where...and they used a battery powered deal, and made it very simple. But- that was acoustic and this electric thing, is a whole new ball game. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Duff49
August 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I know when I ned to change strings, usually, because one or more string will sound off and chords won't ring true.

Lots of times it is only one string, like the G string. It will sound dull and not blend in.

I try to change strings fairly often so the guitars sound right.

Also, I almost always immediately change the strings on new guitars much to my delight because they sound so much better; despite the salesman saying they are brand new strings, which may be true but they are old and rusty, look closely, you'll see.

Started using Dunlop DR strings lately and really like them. Cost a little more but sound consistently good on all the guitars I have put them on. Plus, I always use the locking post winding method when I wind up the strings. This helps keep the guitar in tune better, but there is no substitute for those great locking tuners that push the little post up thru the tuner post and push the string against the top of the string hole. You have to pay for these but they are nicer in my opinion than the Wilkinson two hole type which I also have and like.

I will admit that I don't change my strings enough and agree that I should pick up a couple sets just to have sitting around because I only have a couple partial packs now, due in part to someone stealing one of my DR strings. )))))) me off.

I even have flatwounds on a couple guitars. Totally different feel and sound.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

R.B. Huckleberry
August 30th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I love changing strings. there is a ritual feeling to it. And upon conclusion of teh ritual...we let the neighbors know we are done.

(insert manly grunting here)

Robert
August 30th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I love changing strings. there is a ritual feeling to it. And upon conclusion of teh ritual...we let the neighbors know we are done.

(insert manly grunting here)

Haha, yeah, right on! :rockon: :AOK:

Plank_Spanker
August 30th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I change strings frequently on the guitars that go to gigs........................but I don't like that "new string" feel. I make sure the guitars get a practice or two on them before the gig.

I don't like that slinky, slick feel to new strings. It feels like I'm trying to catch the proverbial greased pig when I move around the board.