PDA

View Full Version : your EQ settings?

ibanezjunkie
August 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
on your amp (and/or EQ pedal) how do you set your EQ?

ill start (i apologise if there is already a thread on this)

Amp: (BH5H) Bass: 7
Middle: 10
Treble: 6 to 7

GE-7: (BOSS)

100: -2
200: +1
400: +10
800: +15
1.6k: +10
3.2k: +5
6.4k: +1

as you can tell, i do like to boost the middle and bass, while holding back the shrill highs but still keeping clarity of notes.

pes_laul
August 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I like to start with my amp and dial in a nice clean sound then dial in my chorus like wise. then I'll dial in all my pedals for distortion.

deeaa
August 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I don't use EQ basically.

I get a guitar and amp I like fine with no EQ. If the sound ain't right, I get another guitar. I usually find with EMG's I need no EQ.

The only thing I might adjust EQ wise is sometimes I might move the bass knob either way a notch, or alternatively turn the BBE Maximiser low end knob. Usually they stay in 12'o clock position though.

After it's recorded, though, I may use even a lot of EQ to make the tracks fir together well.

The reason I don't use any EQ no more is that I noticed at some point that no matter how great a sound you have, some days it just doesn't sound as good. Then you adjust your EQ. The next day it's horribly piercing, and you adjust it again. It's an endless thing.

I just got so weary of always tweaking my sound I just decided I'll just get the best sound I can think of and never change that; what I change is just OD and guitar settings. Otherwise I use only one sound. SO I went ahead and had an EL84 amp built for me and put EMG85's on all my guitars. I have wanted that since early 90's but I never had the money to fullfill my dreams of a Marshall Bluesbreaker/x1974 or likes, I was just forced to play *ugh* Fenders like Twins and DeVilles and BRD's etc. But now I've been happy for over two years. I never change the basic setting, and every time I play I smile like a crazy person because it just sounds so effin' great.

It's basically the same with D/I - I use Tech 21 British/clean/british cab setting, everything 12'o clock and just adjust the gain or sometimes a little low end change.

Bilsdragon
August 25th, 2009, 06:23 AM
"The reason I don't use any EQ no more is that I noticed at some point that no matter how great a sound you have, some days it just doesn't sound as good. Then you adjust your EQ. The next day it's horribly piercing, and you adjust it again. It's an endless thing."

I think some reasons for what you stated may be due to weather and or our own ears. Yes, it is an endless thing, everyday your ears are also one day older. LOL
Don't give up on your eq.

hubberjub
August 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
My EQ changes to match the room.

Tibernius
August 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
My usual setup for the Fallen Angel:

Clean Channel:
Bass: 9 o'clock
Mids: 12 o'clock
Treble: 11 o'clock

Lead Channel:
Bass: 10 o'clock
Mids: 8 o'clock
Treble: 12 o'clock

I don't have the Bass lower because I prefer less bass, I have it lower because anything higher than that drowns out the highs and mids too much. The FA60's very bass-heavy.

goonrick
August 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
On a normal day (in an average room) my L5's fender-ish channel will be set as: Bass 3-4, Mids 5-6, Treble 4-5. Pretty standard. Don't need much EQ to get a good workmanlike tone out of that amp.