PDA

View Full Version : Too much polly on a neck

Spudman
August 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone who has had an all maple neck has any tips for taking off some of the finish or reducing the stickiness? I have a Tele type guitar that has a ton of finish and it seems like that neck feels gummy in a very short time compared to playing a satin finished or rosewood fingerboard.

I don't think I need to strip the finish but maybe some light sanding or steel wool? Just wondering if anybody has done this before.

Robert
August 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I've rubbed my SX jazz bass neck with some fine steel wool, and it worked really well. Just go easy.

just strum
August 24th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I was going to suggest 2000 grit sand paper. I've used it on my car to get rid of pitting due to fire ash. It removed a layer of clear coat.

You might consider wet sanding it when you do it.

Warning: never used it on a guitar neck and only using my experience with a car as a source for my suggestion.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Pulling out the tele type gitfiddle for those country tunes? ;)

sumitomo
August 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I have an SX that was gummy like that and I sanded it off(all of it)I'll tell ya that is some ugly lookin wood under that finish,but feels good and plays nicer now.I guess you could seal it with tung oil or something else,but heck I can buy another one of these for 130 shipped to my house and I like the neck this way now.Sumi:D

just strum
August 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I have an SX that was gummy like that and I sanded it off(all of it)I'll tell ya that is some ugly lookin wood under that finish,but feels good and plays nicer now.I guess you could seal it with tung oil or something else,but heck I can buy another one of these for 130 shipped to my house and I like the neck this way now.Sumi:D

Sumi, who cares what it looks like, it's how it feels and plays that counts. I'm sure you would have to agree after sanding the neck.

oldguy
August 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Not all maple, but on my old Strat copy w/ rosewood board I sanded the back of the neck smooth and wiped on tung oil. Made a real nice, slick playing neck on the backside. You might try that, and steel wool the fretboard.:)

Spudman
August 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I've done plenty of sanding the backs of necks and oiling them but it's the front that in interested in changing.

M29
August 24th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Spud,

I made up a tool like this for sanding fretboards. It would help keep you from sanding the frets. I would think you could even glue on a small piece of fine scuff pad to the toothbrush instead and use it to dull the finish. A fiber type scuff pad is nice because you don't have to worry about metal filings when using steelwool.

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/washb4.jpg

Just a thought.

M

just strum
August 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I've done plenty of sanding the backs of necks and oiling them but it's the front that in interested in changing.

Are we talking about the Peavey? I remember mine and I know what you are talking about. The necks look great, but play them for a short period and the fingers just aren't moving smoothly.

sumitomo
August 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sumi, who cares what it looks like, it's how it feels and plays that counts. I'm sure you would have to agree after sanding the neck.

Totally agree!Spud sanded the front too!:rockon: Sumi:D

just strum
August 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Totally agree!Spud sanded the front too!:rockon: Sumi:D

Low light venues or just tell people he wore it off with non stop playing while practicing for his shot at being on Hee-Haw.

Spudman
August 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Are we talking about the Peavey? I remember mine and I know what you are talking about. The necks look great, but play them for a short period and the fingers just aren't moving smoothly.

Yes that is the one. I played it at rehearsal tonight and didn't seem to have much of a problem but I know it could be faster without all the clear. I like the tool M29 made. One of these days when I get REAL patient I might give it a try.
Otherwise, I'm going to use some steel wool for starters and see what happens. I know there isn't much cut but it wont get screwed up too fast that way. Unless there are more ideas...?