PDA

View Full Version : Prime Time

FrankAxtell
August 24th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Just finished this new instrumental tune in 7/8 and 4/4 time. I call it "Prime Time". Enjoy....

© 2006 FrankAxtell ®
All Rights Reserved

http://www.frankaxtell.com/Audio/PrimeTime.mp3

oldguy
August 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Frank, I was just wondering, who are some of your favorite artists? Have you ever heard of Jean-Luc Ponty?:D

jpfeifer
August 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Frank,

Great stuff again man. Really nice tone and playing. It reminds me of Alan Holdsworth or Jeff Beck, or, as someone else mentioned, Jean Luc Ponty. It has that vibe to it.

I also like the keyboard textures and odd-meter groove to it. What are you playing your guitar through, and what kind of guitar are you using? It has a nice fat legatto kind of sound to it.

-- Jim

FrankAxtell
August 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Yes I am a big Jean Luc Ponty fan. Have been for years. Thanks for the Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Beck comparison. That is quite a compliment as I have been a fan of theirs for years as well.
As far as equipment goes on that track:
Guitar recorded using early 80's San Dimas Charvel strat with Tom Anderson humbucker pickup in lead position.
Maxon SD9 into 1970 old red JMP Marshall 50 watt head and 70's Marshall 4x12 cab with 25 watt greenback Celestion speakers.
Microphone- SM 57 into Presonus firepod into Mac G5 running Logic Pro 7.
Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it!

Frank
www.frankaxtell.com

Katastrophe
August 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Frank, I've liked all your posted songs so far, but this one's my favorite. Awesome job, man!:R

FrankAxtell
September 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks so much everybody...I have been really trying to finish up enough material for at least 2 CD's. Hoping to pick up a new Gibson ES 335 Saturday. I'm fired up to get the new guitar.
Thanks again.

tremoloman
September 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM
Sweet work man! I've got a couple quick questions if you don't mind.

Do you play all the instruments yourself?
Do you use a recorder or a PC to record and mix?

I'm just starting out recording songs and I'm finding it so confusing and diffucult to do anything besides use my BOSS BR-1600 CD (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/video/241064.mpg) as a $1399 pedal board. *sigh*

FrankAxtell
September 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Sweet work man! I've got a couple quick questions if you don't mind.

Do you play all the instruments yourself?
Do you use a recorder or a PC to record and mix?

I'm just starting out recording songs and I'm finding it so confusing and diffucult to do anything besides use my BOSS BR-1600 CD (http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/video/241064.mpg) as a $1399 pedal board. *sigh*

I play guitar and piano myself. I then play bass using my keyboard controller.
here is my equipment list:

Gear I use in my home studio....

82 Fender strat with 62 pickups,
San Dimas Charvel strat,
Gibson ES 775 archtop and
70's Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Taylor BZ 714

For amps I use
Fender Vibro King,
1970's Marshall JMP 50 with
Old Marshall 1970 4x12 Slant Cab with 25 watt Celestion greenbacks
Peavey 5150,
66 and 65 Fender Blackfaced Super Reverb amps.
Mesa Boogie Triaxis and Stereo Simul-Class 2:ninety
2 ADA 2x12 cabs with 25 watt Celestions greenbacks
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Peavey Special 130

Pedals
TS9 Tube screamer
Maxon OD9
Electro Harmonix memoryman
Arion chorus
Carl Martin compressor

for recording
Apple Dual 2.7 Ghz G5
Logic Pro 7 (all mixing and effects are done in Logic)
Presonus Firepod
Motu Micro Lite
Mackie HR 824 monitors

As far as production goes every thing is recorded and mixed in Logic Pro 7. I sometimes sequence the drums from scratch or I use Apple jam packs which are pre recorded sampled drums. All other instruments I play live. Logic offers great keyboard and instrument sounds which I access using my keyboard controller.