PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed by new strings

Rampant
August 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Howdy dudes

I've been using Rotosound Roto 10-46 strings on my Pacifica for a while. Last time I bought strings I thought I'd try out a set of the more expensive Rotosound Pure Nickel strings in the same gauge.

So last night I gave the Pacifica a well overdue string change and put the Nickels on... during the stretch tune process I noticed a slight fret buzz on the bottom 2 strings.

Having set this guitar up perfectly for the normal Roto Yellows, I was surprised to find such a difference. No worries, I thought, just tweak the setup slightly. Well, after a couple of hours tinkering with raising saddle height, slackening the truss rod (slightly) and setting and re-setting the intonation I still get the fret buzz at several places right down to fret 12 (Come Together riff) on the bottom two strings, even with a much higher action than before.

I'm now assuming that the Pure Nickels have different vibration properties that are causing this buzz - maybe greater amplitude high order harmonic vibrations??? - and consequently need to be set up with a much higher action!

I'm now dissapointed that I've probably ruined my perfectset-up for the strings I was more than happy with in the first place. I don't think I'll keep these nickels on for long as it ruins the playing experience when I feel the buzz. Trouble is it's gonna be another at least 2-3 hour job to swap back to another set of Yellows and try to get the set-up just-right again :( {that's assuming I can find that sweet spot again!}

Anybody ever had similar experiences from changing to different strings???

Cheerz

Rampant

ibanezjunkie
August 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM
im guessing the pure nickels will be heavier (in weight, not gauge) which might cause some buzz or extra tension.

when i changed from super slinkies to D'Addario 9s i noticed that i had alot less buzz, eventhough the D'Add strings are actually slightly thicker.

Rampant
August 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM
im guessing the pure nickels will be heavier (in weight, not gauge) which might cause some buzz or extra tension.

when i changed from super slinkies to D'Addario 9s i noticed that i had alot less buzz, eventhough the D'Add strings are actually slightly thicker.

It's probably got something to do with the density (mass) of the strings that make them vibrate in different resonant modes. I also think the strings are under less tension for the same tuning as before... making them looser and able to vibrate with greater amplitude?? (I was thinking the nickels had less mass than steel!?)

Whatever it is it's made my playing less enjoyable than before. I'll give them a couple of day to settle and if they're still the same it'll be sttaight back to a set of Yellows...

ibanezjunkie
August 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
give them a good stretch at the 12th fret, and play for a couple hours on them. the steel wound are still nickel in the middle arent they? nickel is softer than steel so it might be the softness of the string that your not used to, and your guitar wasnt set up for.

after a couple hours the strings should dull down and feel more normal, if youve been playing on old strings for a while, most new strings will feel a little weird at first.