PDA

View Full Version : PA Systems? HELP!

el_goodo_maximo
August 24th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy a relatively cheap PA System that will be able to keep up with my band. I will mostly use it for Acoustic Guitar and Vocals, and maybe Bass even. What works well that won't blow up and be able to keep up with a Hot Rod Deluxe?

Thanks!
Charlie

t_ross33
August 24th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Charlie,

In my limited experience, you can't beat Peavey. The XR series mixer/amp combo heads are proven performers. My XR-400 4CH is no longer in production, but it hit the road about 25 years ago and is still going strong. I still use it for small gigs and as a monitor mixer/amp.

XR Series (http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/list/cat/88/begin/1/XRSeries.cfm)

Not sure what your budget is, but I'd pay a little extra and get something road-worthy and Peavey has a good reputation for value for your buck.

Trev

el_goodo_maximo
August 25th, 2006, 09:09 AM
One question. Is there a such thing as a good PA system that's under 500 dollars?

Tone2TheBone
August 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Radio Shack? ;)

I'd opt for a Peavey system as t_ross said.

t_ross33
August 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM
One question. Is there a such thing as a good PA system that's under 500 dollars?

Uhmm.... that'd be tough to find. A good pair of speakers alone will run over $500. If your budget is that tight, see what you can find on ebay, or maybe look at something like THIS (http://www.behringer.com/K3000FX/index.cfm?lang=ENG)

Retails for about $400 USD. Not trying to push Behringer, I'm sure other manufacturers have something similar. But the ability to run seperate speakers (and place them according to the needs of the room/venue) would greatly enhance your overall sound, especially vocals. I'd rent until I could save up and take the plunge on a decent PA.

t_ross33
August 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Head:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PEAVEY-XR600C-6-CHANNEL-MIXER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ150024312633QQihZ005QQcategoryZ 41474QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Speakers:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PEAVEY-CONCERT-SPEAKERS-PEAVEY-358-S-3-WAY-SOUND_W0QQitemZ130020463870QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4709 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.ca/PEAVEY-CONCERT-SPEAKERS-PEAVEY-358-S-3-WAY-SOUND_W0QQitemZ130020463870QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4709 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

el_goodo_maximo
August 25th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks for thoses! My budget isn't that tight... I would just really love a new guitar or something ya know? So what would you suggest that's new then? Peavey? Yamaha? JBL? etc?

I do not want to spend over a thousand dollars though. That is budget.

Katastrophe
August 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I've played on both Peavey and Crate PA systems, and they're good stuff for the $$$. You can save money by having a smaller system (say, 4 channels), and using that for just the microphones, and just turning up the guitar and bass to match the drums. Should be good enough for a small venue. For outdoor gigs, you're gonna have to have a bit bigger rig, with enough channels for everybody, with monitors, so you can hear each other and get good sound projection.

I was impressed with the quality of my singer's mixing board from Behringer, for such a low price.

el_goodo_maximo
August 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM
For speakers what's the difference between a 12 and 15 inch? I know a 10 inch has more highs. But is one of these more desirable?

t_ross33
August 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM
For speakers what's the difference between a 12 and 15 inch? I know a 10 inch has more highs. But is one of these more desirable?
I'd be more inclined to say 10's have a more mid-range/treble-y sound than 12 or 15's. Most PA speakers have a horn or tweeter assembly so by going up to 15's you're gaining some bottom end without sacrificing highs (which you will want for acoustic guitar and vocal clarity). It's a generalization, but the bigger the speaker, the more power you can run to them. If you're playing good ol' R&R in a medium sized club, I'd go with the 15's just cuz :D If you're doing a little coffee house "unplugged" type gig, a couple hundred watts through 12's would be okay. If you plan on running bass thru the PA, make sure your speakers are appropriate for that use.

Figure out what you want/need for a mixer (number of channels, power/wattage, features like effects loop, monitor outs etc.) then choose your speakers to match to handle both power and Ohms (very important). 2 and 4 Ohm systems are good, 8 Ohm ones are bad, though I can't remember just exactly why - something very scientific and technical that someone here can expand on I'm sure :p

The head style mixer/amps are good for convenience and portability, otherwise you're likely looking at a mixing board and seperate power amp(s).

We run a real mixed bag of Peavey, Behringer, JBL and Yamaha - mixers, power amps, cabinets, subs and monitors - so no real preference here, though if pressed I'd still be partial to good ol' Peavey. That shizit is just rock solid, man :cool: And you can usually find good used gear locally or on the 'bay. $1000 bucks will probably buy you a pretty good little used PA.