PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone storage capacity

Spudman
August 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Who has a cell phone that allows an additional micro SD card for storage? What capacity card do you use and how much storage is enough? 2GB? 4GB? 8GB?

We just got new phones and I haven't a clue what I'll need.

peachhead
August 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
My wife and I have a 2gb card. Actually it's my card but she has it (I don't use the thing that much anyway). She uses it for music and pics and it seems to be plenty for that. They're fairly cheap though, so I'd just get the biggest one you want to spend the money on.

pes_laul
August 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
What do you want to do with it?

and what kind of phone is it?

Spudman
August 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
What do you want to do with it?

and what kind of phone is it?

It's an LG enV2. I'd like to have some music and pictures in it.

deeaa
August 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hey Spudman,

I have a HP PDA with WIndows Mobile and it takes 16GB micro-SD cards.
It needs a special type of plug for headphones so I never use it for media playing. More for car navigation/GSM (tomtom), email, surfing etc.

I have also used a Nokia 5800Xtreme music which had 16 gigs and it was a nice media player too, but I grow weary of changing the media all the time so I have a 160GB iPod for music use. That has enough space so you don't need to listen to same songs over and over again. I also have a 40G version in the car but that's getting a bit small.

I don't like having one device to do everything. Sometimes it gets a bit much though when we're going somewhere with the wife though.

I carry my PDA plus another phone with the same number (I don't want to take the PDA out on the lake etc.) plus my business laptop (mainly for television on the road), plus my iPod plus the car iPod plus their battery dock for listening, and she carries her business phone and a Samsung NC10 mini laptop for surfing (it has an internal 4 gig 3G connection while mine has just 512kb/s connection)...so we have a lot of electronics on us at all times...

ragnarpk
August 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM
whatever you do, make sure your phone supports the size you get... i bought an 8gb micro sd once and later found out my phone only supported up to 2gb :/

ibanezjunkie
August 26th, 2009, 08:05 AM
i use 2GB and as yet its not even half full.

ibanezjunkie
August 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
It's an LG enV2. I'd like to have some music and pictures in it.

i have the LG KP500. All new model LGs have the same memory specs dont they? something like 40MB internal memory? i use my phone for like everything, pictures, music, i have alot of my own work stored on there, all of it infact. i find 2GB is enough but then again i probably dont do as much work as you guys!

SuperSwede
August 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I have a 2GB micro SD in my HTC Touch Cruise and that is more than enough for my needs (some GPS maps, music and e-books).

Algonquin
August 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I put a 2gb micro sd card in my daughters phone, and I have'nt heard any complaints. 2gb is cheap now as well.

Spudman
August 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM
The phone supports up to 8GB so I ordered a 4 GB card. I'm sure that will handle all I need. Thanks so much for the input. I'm not too cell phone savvy. The only reason I even have a cell phone is because my Mrs surprised me with one 2 Christmases ago...and a higher phone bill.

markb
August 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
My cell phone's internal memory will allow 36 camera pictures. Now, where have I heard that number before in photographic terms?

Incidentally, should it be "cell phone" or "cellphone"?

Tibernius
August 26th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Incidentally, should it be "cell phone" or "cellphone"?

"Mobile phone". ;)

Really it depends how much you're going to store on it. I've got a 2GB card for my phone, managed to fill 3/4s of it already. I only use it for storing music. That's only putting a few albums on though, all of my albums put together add to 6-7GB, probably about 20 albums total.

ibanezjunkie
August 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
if i put all my music on my phone, id be lookign at somewhere near 35-40GB. ive only filled about half a GB so far of my 2GB memory card.

Mobile Phone! British terminology ftw.

deeaa
August 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I dunno how can you survive on a 2G card...I'm constantly having to delete programs from my phone due to lack of memory. Like right now I don't have google maps installed because of no room on the card. And I've had to delete TomTom navigator's sound files too. Also PDF reader and Powerpoint - gone due to low space. Been thinking about losing the dictionary but that can be useful now and then...and I'd really like to get lake/forest maps with navigation info if I could so I could use it as a boating GPS system. No way there would be room for music! And If I did put music on it, a few gigs can hold like, what 30 albums or so if there's nothing else? That's basically room for Iron Maiden albums only and a few random albums :-)