PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Metal Kegger

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I could not fail to post this for at least Marnold's benefit, his being both a beer and metal aficionado. :AOK: :rockon: :beer:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112251921

Also, although it is not a gig, I may sit in this Saturday on a few songs with a friend's garage band like I did last year at their Dipperstock (Dipper Road is where the party is located) in honor of the closing summer and the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Should be fun! There will be a keg and music there too. :D

marnold
August 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Sweet! I whole-heartedly approve--especially if good beer is involved!

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Also, although it is not a gig, I may sit in this Saturday on a few songs with a friend's garage band like I did last year at their Dipperstock (Dipper Road is where the party is located) in honor of the closing summer and the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Should be fun! There will be a keg and music there too. :D

Well, ok beer was involved at Dipperstock. Alaska Amber, not the worst, but I prefer others if it is my choice at this point. Still, keg of microbrew at a party with a live band! :AOK: :AOK:

The good news was I got to play out with my Hagstrom for the first time. I brought both, but the Hagstrom fit the garage bandish sound that was going on. The band was much more confident and tight than last year. I had not played with them, and did not even have a song list, so I was on my own to pick up on what was going on. I held back and played quietly, trying to key on the others and just keep up mostly. But on a couple songs, I knew what was going on and dug right in. DVM's Rabid Rodent, along with the Hagstrom, sounded great live on some Stones tunes and some Neil Young, etc. EDIT: The combination, which I was using with both pickups on, neck turned down a bit, gave a super nice throaty snarl that was so so fun. I was on the red LED setting, with filter neutral, distortion at about 10 and volume straight up. I was quite pleased with how the pedal worked in a band setting with a loud drummer. One of the other players has a Fender Blues Jr. and a nice American Stat, and my chords blended in and and provided some nice background for him to rip it up against. The Hagstrom sounded great and mixed in with the band nicely with no effects as well. Very fun guitar to play out. Will not replace my strat, but since there was already an overdriven strat in the band, it was nice to have an alternative. END EDIT. Bottom line, had a great time, and I love my gear, and hope to play out more.

Also, live music and keggers are good things! :rockon: :D :beer:

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
P.S. Playing with the guys makes me motivated to find my own live playing situation. These guys have been practicing regularly all year and it shows. The are nice and let me tag along once in a while and have even said I could show up and jam on a day when they are just having fun, but they are working on their own things. Hopefully I can find my own group of folks this year.

evenkeel
August 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Very cool SVL. Love the name, Dipperstock. Just gotta be great with a name like that. :beer: .

sunvalleylaw
August 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks EK! One of my friend's wife kept calling it Dipperstick, and we just left that alone. ;) :rotflmao: