PDA

View Full Version : There Will Never Be Another..........

mrmudcat
August 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Today is the day the music died.................. God speed S.R.V. you can not be replaced 35 is way to young to die brother!!!:master:

http://www26.brinkster.com/jakapa/srv/death.htm

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
God Speed Stevie Ray! I miss you!

bigG
August 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Today is the day the music died.................. God speed S.R.V. you can not be replaced 35 is way to young to die brother!!!:master:

http://www26.brinkster.com/jakapa/srv/death.htm

+1 Well said mud. Sometimes it seems like this world just can't contain so much talent, and they have to leave too early this mortal coil.

ibanezjunkie
August 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM
my cousin boughtthe SRV strat today, and he didnt even know today was that day...

maybe its some kind of beyond-the-grave bluesman influence.

R.I.P

peachhead
August 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
+1 Well said mud. Sometimes it seems like this world just can't contain so much talent, and they have to leave too early this mortal coil.

+1. Here's to all the music, and to the wonder of what may have been. :beer:

duhvoodooman
August 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
There truly will never be another like SRV. Think I'll change my avatar for a couple of days....

msteeln
August 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Until recently I would wonder what the next SRV product would be, and then reralize again there won't be anything more to be put out by him. Still hard to believe he was taken away. Life ain't always fair, but that sucks. Glad I got to see him tear it up a few times.

Childbride
August 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
they shut austin down when he died...

[i lived there at the time]

and for good reason.

rip, srv...

tWLw7nozO_U

kiteman
August 28th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Talk about jammin' there.

I get the impression that SRV is possessed by Jimi Hendrix. :)

marnold
August 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I remember having a very crappy day at work when word came over the radio that SRV and Clapton had been killed, later changed to SRV alone. The only good thing is that the station I was listening to went into "all SRV, all the time" mode. I also remember hearing the media say he crashed into a mountain in WI. Obviously they hadn't been to WI. We've got hills, but no mountains. A classmate of mine was at that last concert in Alpine Valley. Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago!

Blaze
August 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
R.I.P. SRV....

What would otherwise just have been a performance shot in mediocre style by someone in the crowd took on historic significance
when Stevie Ray Vaughn would die just over a month later.
This is the final song of the set of SRV's performance in St. Louis, MO on 7/15/1990.
It is the last known footage shot of Stevie Ray.

dwyrT1mjPoc&feature

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Cool! Thanks Blazes. I have never seen that.

msteeln
August 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
tWLw7nozO_UI just wish he'd shut up and play his guitar, do it with some feeling, ya know really get into it without showing off..., and who cares about the blues anyway? ;)

Damn, great clip, made my day, thanx CB! :AOK:

Here's a 10 min. backing track of TF for those who want to get the dust out of yer finger joints - www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPgtlx3lXKk

Tig
August 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
We can only imagine what beautiful music Stevie would have created if he had more time on the planet. Of all the great, lost musicians, I miss Stevie the most. I never tire of his music. Never.

He would play here in Houston many times before and after he broke through, usually at Fitzgeralds. I saw him just one time in the early 80's, and was blown away. I was a Jimi fan already, and after hearing Stevie, I thought he could have been reincarnated!

just strum
August 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I played four SRV CD's at work yesterday and didn't realize it was the anniversary of his death until later on after I got home.

I was trying to get some of the people at work to appreciate his music.

Childbride
August 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Damn, great clip, made my day, thanx CB! :AOK:

welcome. :)

bigoldron
August 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
What can I add that hasn't already be said? SRV was/is a Guitar God and is sorely missed. :master: :master: :master: :master: :(

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Me too CB. There is something special about Austin and music from what I can tell, which is mostly from watching ACL, which has given me so many awesome performances. Even artists I have seen more than once seem to bring something special there. Must me something in the water, or firewater. Still one of if not my very favorite SRV disc has to be the very raw, Live from Austin CD when he was just a young'un, and was still Stevie Vaughan, not SRV yet.

Childbride
August 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Me too CB. There is something special about Austin and music from what I can tell, which is mostly from watching ACL, which has given me so many awesome performances. Even artists I have seen more than once seem to bring something special there. Must me something in the water, or firewater. Still one of if not my very favorite SRV disc has to be the very raw, Live from Austin CD when he was just a young'un, and was still Stevie Vaughan, not SRV yet.

i lived in austin in a very unique, special time. i have been back several times since... so i can say that.

austin, before it grew to a capacity that overflowed its infrastructure, was a phenomenal live music capital of texas.

i could go out any day of the week and hear musicians play unique music in any genre.

i saw joe ely, the thunderbirds, brian setzer, stevie, rockabilly galore, traveling acts, zz top, you name it, i could see it. you just went to the forum. not a stadium; a club/bar, and you were there.

austin has changed quite a bit.

the last time i went to 6th street, [where i hung out in back in the very early 90's on a regular basis] i was with my daughter by proxy and shiner.

there was a guy in an alley shooting up, and my purse almost got stolen.

it made me sad.

now, granted, there's sxsw, and lots of live acts in austin; i am never going to dis the austin scene and austin music. my brethren are talented and should be heard. it's just a different scene.

but i tell you what, back then, when stevie died, it was candle light vigils and mourning. street signs in remembrance. everyone knew what we had lost.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
RIP Stevie Ray......

Tig
August 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
i lived in austin in a very unique, special time. i have been back several times since... so i can say that.

austin, before it grew to a capacity that overflowed its infrastructure, was a phenomenal live music capital of texas.

i could go out any day of the week and hear musicians play unique music in any genre.

i saw joe ely, the thunderbirds, brian setzer, stevie, rockabilly galore, traveling acts, zz top, you name it, i could see it. you just went to the forum. not a stadium; a club/bar, and you were there.

austin has changed quite a bit.

So true on how Austin has changed. We'd road trip to 6th St in the mid to late 80's and saw plenty of great performances. During/after the Dell tech boom, Austin grew too fast and lost most of it's charm along the way, similar to what happened to California in the 60's and 70's.

Hey, I'm glad we caught it in the golden age! I guess Waco isn't exactly a hot bed of live entertainment, eh? :D I've visited there for several MTB races (Cameron Park), and could tell most parts of town rolled up the sidewalks fairly early.

Childbride
August 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
So true on how Austin has changed. We'd road trip to 6th St in the mid to late 80's and saw plenty of great performances. During/after the Dell tech boom, Austin grew too fast and lost most of it's charm along the way, similar to what happened to California in the 60's and 70's.

Hey, I'm glad we caught it in the golden age! I guess Waco isn't exactly a hot bed of live entertainment, eh? :D I've visited there for several MTB races (Cameron Park), and could tell most parts of town rolled up the sidewalks fairly early.

+1 to the first paragraph...

and waco actually is a hot bed of live entertainment...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

[not]

piebaldpython
August 29th, 2009, 02:03 PM
and waco actually is a hot bed of live entertainment...
[not]

Well....ya know CB........if you and Shiner would stop playing with Maggie (btw, how is your doggie? :D ) for a couple of hours, maybe y'all could get a song-list together and start playing at local places. :poke: Maybe an ex-Pres might take in your show (:rotflmao: ) and then before you know it, you and Shiner are headlining the entertainment at the next Republican convention. :bravo:

I miss Stevie too. The boy could just play like nobody else. :master:

Katastrophe
August 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I was a young lad in Austin around the time of Stevie's passing... Unfortunately, I was so caught up in speed and metal that I didn't appreciate his music at the time.

The cool thing about Stevie was that he paid homage to his heroes, yet still sounded like him. "Riviera Paradise" still sends chills down my spine, to this day.

I think about all the cool clubs in Austin that got shut down in order to put up another frat boy daiquiri bar. Makes me ill.

At least Antone's is still there, albeit in a larger, more "commercial" location. I've heard some incredible blues at it's original location.

luvmyshiner
August 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I've got a lot of great 6th Street stories from my law school days. Unfortunately most of them end up with "I don't remember what happened after that".:thwap:

RIP Stevie.