PDA

View Full Version : Good biographies?

Robert
August 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Know of any good biographies worth reading? I like reading about musicians who experienced a lot in their lifetime. Miles Davis' autobiography was a great read I thought (although lots of foul language) because he talked about his experiences with other giants, such as Bird, Coltrane, etc.

I am tempted to get "Keith Jarrett: the man and his music", since Keith Jarrett is incredible as a musician and somewhat of an incredible jerk at the same time. :)

I have always wanted a good book about Prince's life and career, but I doubt anyone has been able to write anything accurate about him, since he is a very private man.

warren0728
August 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM
clapton....an autobiography....

Robert
August 27th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Is there a good biography about Led Zeppelin? What's the best Hendrix one?

I just read good reviews about this one - "White Line Fever" by and about Lemmy Kilmister - bet that would be interesting!

mrmudcat
August 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Robert have you read Hammer of the Gods(Zeppelin)

Skydog is a great book !!!! Nuff said:D

Robert
August 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Robert have you read Hammer of the Gods(Zeppelin)

No, is it good?

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hmm, most of the biographies I read are more historical re: political figures or the like. I always have enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's work. His "Undaunted Courage" about the Lewis and Clark expeditions was great, and I really enjoyed his WWII books, and the one about the first transcontinental railroad in the US was surprisingly fascinating. A bit US centric, but interesting stuff I would think for North American dwellers. Sorry, I can't really recommend a musician book. I have a very simple one on the beatles, but I don't necessarily recommend it for you. It is more to read to the kids.

Spudman
August 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I really liked Backstage Passes by Angela Bowie.

It's Not About The Bike by Lance Armstrong was good too. Pretty inspiring.

Probably my favorite was No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman. It's about Jim Morrison and The Doors. I read it just as I started living on the road as a full time musician.

mrmudcat
August 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM
No, is it good?

Yes it is !!! I liked it alot:dude:

Suhnton
August 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
The Miles Davis book is probably the best I've read. If you can handle all the expletives, I highly recommend it.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
No, is it good?

It's a good read Rob. A lot of insight into their crazy world and their love for L.A. Interesting stuff.

Kodiak3D
August 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
If you want stuff about Zeppelin, Hammer of the Gods is great as is Stairway To Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored by Richard Cole (their road manager). However, keep in mind that the accuracy of several things in those books are debatable. Members of the band have criticized both books as inaccurate. Cole certainly had reason to exaggerate certain stories in order to sell books.

Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man is also a good book, although not an authorized biography. The guy who wrote the book didn't even get to talk to Page (he did try), but I did enjoy the book. Page is so private, he'll probably never authorize anyone to write a book about him.

Geraint Jones
August 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Has anyone read 'Shaky' Neil Young's biog . I`ve read Hammer of the Gods its a bit lurid to say the least there was another one on Led Zep about their early years which was good but I can`t remember what it was called . There`s loads on the Stones I`ve read but they were I guess mostly ghost written although Marianne Faithfull`s one was quite good .

Robert
August 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Has anyone read a good jazz biography besides the Miles Davis one already mentioned?

evenkeel
August 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Bob Dylans "Chronicles Volume 1" is a very interesting read. Not exactly a autobiography but a fascinating read.
Anthony Scadutos bio of Dylan is also very good.

Sounds like SVL and I have similar tastes in bios. Ambrose is terrific. I think I've read them all. His "Band of Brothers" is riviting and the HBO mini series based on the book was terrific. McCullough is another great author in the genre. His bio of John Adams was very good, the HBO miniseries was good but not on a par with Band of Brothers.

jpfeifer
August 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Being the Beatle fan that I am ...
"John" by Cynthia Lennon is an excellent read. It shows the down side of fame and the heavy price that people pay because of it. Makes you feel really sorry for Julian Lennon.

A great non-musician bio is
"Einstein" by Walter Isaacson. By the time you finish this book you have a really good understanding of what Einstein was like as a person and not just the genius.

-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Sounds like SVL and I have similar tastes in bios. Ambrose is terrific. I think I've read them all. His "Band of Brothers" is riviting and the HBO mini series based on the book was terrific. McCullough is another great author in the genre. His bio of John Adams was very good, the HBO miniseries was good but not on a par with Band of Brothers.

I enjoyed starting the Adams book, but was not as fascinated with Mr. Adams' life so quit on it. The kids were really young, and my reading was quite disjointed when I started. I will likely go back to it. I was not quite as enamored by McCullogh's style, but it was still good. Ambrose's inclusion of the practical experiences of common people is what makes his books so great to me. I like H.W. Brands' "T.R", on Mr. Roosevelt's life as well. I really need to be interested in the person to be interested in a bio.

Spudman
August 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
That Einstein suggestion reminds of a book I read about Nikola Tesla called Tesla: Man Out Of Time by Margaret Cheney. I found it fascinating that this guy was so far ahead of almost everyone. Really an incredible inventor and scientist. There might be better books about him but I'm sure they are all going to be intriguing simply because he was amazing and little is commonly known about him.

Tig
August 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
It's Not About The Bike by Lance Armstrong was good too. Pretty inspiring.

Probably my favorite was No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman. It's about Jim Morrison and The Doors. I read it just as I started living on the road as a full time musician.

+11'ty on Lance's book. Since Robert is a competitive runner, I'm sure he'd like it. I read mostly biographies these days.

I read the "No One Here Gets Out Alive" during my senior year of high school. Not a good influence for a 18 year old teen! I survived, though.

I enjoyed most of Clapton's book, and even Slash's book. I'm amazed they survived at all.

For space buffs, I highly recommend "Failure Is Not An Option (http://www.amazon.com/Failure-not-Option-Mission-Control/dp/0425179877/ref=ed_oe_p)" by retired lead flight controller, Gene Krantz. He was the controller played by Ed Harris in the "Apollo 13" movie. When I worked in Mission Control, he was our boss (Director of the Mission Operations Directive). Really interesting stories on the golden age of the US space program, from the early days of Mercury, to Gemini, and then Apollo.

My favorite WWII book is "Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission (http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Soldiers-Forgotten-Dramatic-Mission/dp/0385495641)" by Hampton Sides. It covers the rescue of the surviving POW's of the Bataan Death March. A well told account that is quite inspiring.

"Beyond Survival (http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Survival-Gerald-Coffee/dp/0425124428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251494459&sr=1-1)" by retired US Navy Capt Gerald Coffee is the powerful story of his and other's survival as POW's in North Vietnam from 1966 to 1973. I met him when he was at a speaking engagement, and was inspired by his invincible principles. His book goes deeply into the spirit of man and the strength that lies within each of us.

My spiritual American Indian side loved Russell Means' "Where White Men Fear To Tread (http://www.amazon.com/Where-White-Fear-Tread-Autobiography/dp/0312147619/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251495023&sr=1-1)", which covers his struggle for even the most basic rights for his tribe and the indiginous people of the world, which is still sadly limited at best.

OK, just one more... "Harpo Speaks (http://www.amazon.com/Harpo-Speaks-Marx/dp/0879100362/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251495214&sr=1-1)" by Harpo Marx. A must for anyone who ever enjoyed some of the Marx Brothers movies. Harpo was the kindest of the brothers, and had quite an interesting life. This well written books makes you wish you had known him.

R_of_G
August 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
What's the best Hendrix one?

this is (http://www.amazon.com/Hendrix-Setting-Straight-John-McDermott/dp/0751511293)

Has anyone read a good jazz biography besides the Miles Davis one already mentioned?

robert i think you'd enjoy this one (http://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Underdog-World-Composed-Mingus/dp/0679737618)

mingus was an extremely interesting individual in addition to being one the greatest composers in the world

street music
August 28th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Robert have you read I ME MINE- George Harrison, Kodiak got that for me last Christmas worth the time to read if you are Harrison fan.

peachhead
August 28th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Skydog is a great book !!!! Nuff said:D

Skydog is an excellent book, I just wish it was longer.

On the non musical side- if you can find it, Robert Lacey's "Ford-The Men and the Machine" is another great read.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Being the Beatle fan that I am ...
"John" by Cynthia Lennon is an excellent read. It shows the down side of fame and the heavy price that people pay because of it. Makes you feel really sorry for Julian Lennon.

A great non-musician bio is
"Einstein" by Walter Isaacson. By the time you finish this book you have a really good understanding of what Einstein was like as a person and not just the genius.

-- Jim

Jim...thanks for your recommendations on these 2 books they're now on my "to get list". :beer:

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Anyone know of a good Bob Marley bio? He is interesting to me.

R_of_G
August 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Anyone know of a good Bob Marley bio? He is interesting to me.

steve, this is the definitive marley biography and a fascinating read...

http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Fire-Life-Bob-Marley/dp/080506009X

i re-read it every couple of years

sunvalleylaw
August 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks! I will check it out.

R_of_G
August 29th, 2009, 09:21 AM
aside from being very in-depth on marley, the author goes in-depth on the whole jamaican political culture at the time giving a great deal of context to marley's whole career. i think you'll enjoy it a lot steve.

Barre Fly
August 30th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I was a little disappointed with Hammer Of The Gods, it read too much like a tabloid article - but I felt I had to plough through it as a Zep fan.

I read Cynthia Lennon's book years ago and remember really enjoying that, even if it completely put me off John as a person.

I was however, very impressed with Anthony Keidis's auto biography, Scar Tissue. It's pretty wild, if I tell you that he lost his virginity at 11 to his Dad's 18 year old girlfriend, you can judge from there if it's your cup of tea. It's very much sex, drugs and rock and roll! But a great read. Well written in the voice of the author (although he had a co-writer), a good mix between the music and the dynamics of the band members themselves, with added exploits for entertainment.

ibanezjunkie
August 30th, 2009, 03:56 PM
i read a Guns N Roses biography i enjoyed quite alot, alot of sleeze and drugs involved, if thats your cuppa'tea.

Too bad GNR have changed so much now, i only liked them for Slash n' Izzie now theyre gone whuts the point? :)

Barre Fly
August 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
And Duff! He's quite a dude...I was going to say geezer, but I don't think it's a complimentary term in the US :D

What was the name of the GnR biog? I'd like to check it out :AOK:

ibanezjunkie
August 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM
i cant remember, its in my school library, i go back on the 7th ill have a look then and report back.

pes_laul
August 31st, 2009, 01:32 PM
i cant remember, its in my school library, i go back on the 7th ill have a look then and report back.
Was the name of the book SLASH?

ibanezjunkie
August 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM
i dont think so, the front cover had the block GNR logo on it, like you see on some tshirts.

ill have ot have a look, it was ages ago i read it.

but, i learned slash used to get high with a girl from his neighbourhood and thats where his drug problem came from.

pes_laul
August 31st, 2009, 02:17 PM
A good one I read was SLASH which started from his early childhood to his GNR years and all jazz

Barre Fly
September 1st, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks, I'll check that out aswell :dude: