PDA

View Full Version : Greetings my fellow G.A.S. addicts!

Mike S.
August 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hello all,

I'm Michael, a recent newb on the forum, but not to music. I am a Saxophonist who doubles on the guitar among other instruments, and enjoy the technical side of guitar ownership as much as playing (i.e. building, modifying, generally mucking about).

Hope to add to the quality content of this fine forum.

Cheers.:beer:

Robert
August 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Welcome, Mike!

What kind of music are you into?

Mike S.
August 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hi Robert,

I like the best of all musical genres, but I'm a Jazz and Blues saxophonist who likes those styles as well as classic rock, hard rock, punk/underground and new wave, folk, R&B/Soul and bluegrass guitar repertoire (among others).

Thanks for the warm welcome.:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
August 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Great to have you join us Mike! My dad still plays his alto and bari in the second half of his 70's, and I have to say his vibrato and melodic timing and style influence me a lot on my approach to guitar. In short, sax is cool. Thanks for joining!

Spudman
August 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hi Mike and welcome.
My first musical influence was my older brother playing the saxophone.

mrmudcat
August 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I love sax!! Welcome brother:)

Algonquin
August 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the Fret Mike!
Cheers :beer:

Mike S.
August 28th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks all for the kind words, I feel the same way about the Guitar. The versatility and scope of possibilities with this instrument is truly exhilarating.

Great forum you have here, I'm really enjoying it. I'm an Admin on SOTW for anyone interested in the sax BTW.

Cheers.

luvmyshiner
August 28th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Welcome aboard Mike.

Brian Krashpad
August 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Mike! Thanks for your post over in the Super Champ thread.

Welcome.

Geraint Jones
August 28th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hello Mike greetings from Wales

sunvalleylaw
August 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks all for the kind words, I feel the same way about the Guitar. The versatility and scope of possibilities with this instrument is truly exhilarating.

Great forum you have here, I'm really enjoying it. I'm an Admin on SOTW for anyone interested in the sax BTW.

Cheers.

I was a reasonably proficient piano student years ago, and took between 15 and 20 years or so off from playing any music after quitting piano in early adulthood. Coming back to music with the guitar is both very exhilarating and liberating, as I was not encouraged to improvise much on piano, and can also be frustrating because of the literal sheet music way I learned is not duplicated much in guitar. My ear hears things, but I don't know how to reproduce them accurately and intentionally as well as I would like yet. Also, those darn notes aren't lined up in black and white. But I absolutely love how I can go for different entries into a note, and express while playing a note much more closely to a horn or a voice on the guitar. A worthy endeavor to say the least! It will be nice to hear your input as a sax player here.

evenkeel
August 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the forum. :beer: :beer:

Mike S.
August 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
But I absolutely love how I can go for different entries into a note, and express while playing a note much more closely to a horn or a voice on the guitar.
Exactly. As a horn player, this is precisely why I like the guitar over keyboards (the more common Jazz musician's go to instrument while dissecting theory and harmony etc.), because you have the same versatility of an "orchestra at your finger tips" that you have with a piano, but a similarity of the vocal flexibility of a horn as well.

It's amazing how close you can come with phrasing between the otherwise very dissimilar instruments of sax and guitar.

Cheers everyone.

Mike S.
August 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hello Mike greetings from Wales
Nice to hear from a fellow Cymric (I have a lot of Welsh ancestry on my maternal side).

And thanks to all others who have given me such a warm welcome.

duhvoodooman
September 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Mike! Glad to have you with us.

My mom is Welsh, too--100%, AAMOF. Her ancestors were miners who emigrated to Vermont in the late 1800's to work in the slate and marble quarries there.

Kodiak3D
September 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hello and welcome!

bigG
September 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Welcome aboard, Mike! Sax is cool! :beer: