PDA

View Full Version : a new beginning

Childbride
August 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
young children have a remarkable sponge-like capability to learn, to absorb, to mimic, to retain.

my father would come home from his law practice when i was a toddler to teach me my letters on a fisher price schoolhouse roof.

i read black beauty when i was four.

i played piano when i was five.

you lose that as you get older.

guitar is a magical thing that has added much to my life.

it is much, much, much harder for me now to learn and absorb.

so i have taken on a protege and we learn together. she does and will inspire me, and if i give this gift to her now, she can grow in ways she would not otherwise. i give my step-niece the gift of music.

this was two trips ago 'south'.

this is my step-niece, megan.

and her new guitar.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Megan2001.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/Megan1001.jpg

you w's... note that she has a sparkly RGG pick... i sent my stepmother a bunch of fender heavy's and an electric tuner the week after i gifted the git to her.

megan will be 3 this december. i gave her the guitar 8/1, and told her the names of her strings. there was familial interruption of conversations with multiple players, and then her father and mother arrived to see her new instrument.

she walked up to her father [my stepbrother], and promptly showed him the guitar, and named off the strings.

i had shown her one time.

:)

piebaldpython
August 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Way cool thing to do CB! :master: KUDOS in spades. That would be really neat if you and Megan could do a duet for Gram. :poke:

Childbride
August 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Way cool thing to do CB! :master: KUDOS in spades. That would be really neat if you and Megan could do a duet for Gram. :poke:

it's in the works. ;) trust me.

next time i go south.

i left my stepmother with a guide to the fretboard, and am making copies of a bunch of basic theory to get megan started. :)

street music
August 30th, 2009, 05:27 AM
KIMMIE, that is so cool! Giving back is what life is all about anyway! I may not have much but I try to contribute when I can. You are starting something with this kid that will build a bond for a lifetime and who knows just how that will effect her future and in return you will have the pride of being a part of her life.
Congrats to you for doing your part.

kiteman
August 30th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Megan may be your step niece but she's a spitting image of you CB. :)

It's great that you are giving her the greatest gift possible. :beer:

ibanezjunkie
August 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
i heard that once you pass 12 you begin to lose your sponge-like learning qualities...

no wonder i feel so dumb recently. If she's almost 3, by the time she reaches 10 she'll have the required experience to gain entry to a music college (this rule seems only to apply to london though).

just strum
August 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM
you w's... note that she has a sparkly RGG pick... i sent my stepmother a bunch of fender heavy's and an electric tuner the week after i gifted the git to her.

As soon as I saw the photo I noticed what appeared to be an RGG pick.

she needs an amp and a mini Strat.

evenkeel
August 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Very cool CB. :bravo: :bravo:

Childbride
August 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
thanks, guys... :o

strummy, she gets those at five, if she sticks with it. ;)

i'm really stoked about this. she'll be kicking my butt in no time, which will just encourage me to try and keep up with her. :D

Brian Krashpad
September 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
thanks, guys... :o

strummy, she gets those at five, if she sticks with it. ;)

i'm really stoked about this. she'll be kicking my butt in no time, which will just encourage me to try and keep up with her. :D

Outstanding!

Before you know she'll be as big as my daughter!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs170.snc1/6380_1213490217317_1230650648_629341_5133723_n.jpg

This Fall I'll be playing with her, sitting in with the Youth Band at church.

bigoldron
September 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Great job CB! Next thing we know, she'll be 7 and shredding on Youtube and blowing us ALL away! :AOK: :bravo:

Childbride
September 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Krash and Ron, you made my night. :)

i'm finally starting to make real headway with my lessons, and i just know that this is going to be Special for both of us.

Krash, your daughter is beautiful. :)

sunvalleylaw
September 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Congrats on getting involved like that CB, and of course Brian. All my kids are studying or at least playing around with music of some kind. The 11 year old is on his way in guitar, the 9 year old loves to sing and plays piano beautifully. Makes me tear up every time I hear him play the Star Wars theme. And the little girl, 6, has her guitar, cannot really fret notes or chords properly yet, but loves to strum along in rhythm with me and sing when we play together. Very fun stuff! You are and will be so much richer for doing it!

mrmudcat
September 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Pass it on, it is a beautiful thing:beer:

Childbride
September 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
[thanks svl and muddy! :) ]

tonight, i called my stepmother... step-niece asked to speak with me... she sang me happy early bday and talked to me for a bit

then i talked to stepmother again, and she said that step-niece will play for a bit, then hand the git off to stepmother to play, then tell her

'no, you're doing it wrong, let me show you'

:rotflmao:

Brian Krashpad
September 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
[thanks svl and muddy! :) ]

tonight, i called my stepmother... step-niece asked to speak with me... she sang me happy early bday and talked to me for a bit

then i talked to stepmother again, and she said that step-niece will play for a bit, then hand the git off to stepmother to play, then tell her

'no, you're doing it wrong, let me show you'

:rotflmao:

Haha, outstanding!

deeaa
September 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I've been trying to get my son at least a little interested in music, so far no success. He's getting close to being five. For instance it's hard for me to play anything in the house, because both the wife and the son very quickly start yelling at me to pipe down and go somewhere else :-)

Like on this test demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6qmJV-zxY

But, I myself started being really into making music or playing when I was something like 16-17. So maybe he'll get to it later.

Brian Krashpad
September 3rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
I've been trying to get my son at least a little interested in music, so far no success. He's getting close to being five. For instance it's hard for me to play anything in the house, because both the wife and the son very quickly start yelling at me to pipe down and go somewhere else :-)

Like on this test demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6qmJV-zxY

But, I myself started being really into making music or playing when I was something like 16-17. So maybe he'll get to it later.

Here's what my dad did.

He had a bunch of instruments.

He told us kids, if you can learn to play this, it's yours.

Childbride
September 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
i took an interest in megan as a protege about six months ago. i started having to go south on much more frequent rotation b/c of needs of gram. [and the little voice that says time stops for noone]

whenever i would go, stepmom would come to the ranch to hear me play... bringing her mom and megan

megan would be very shy, but she was very, very interested in guitar.

and she has shown a desire to be musical.

early interest in music develops into better appreciation for arts, and better understanding of math, imho. music involvement develops the young mind completely.

it became a routine for us to 'play together' but i would take a git that i wasn't afraid for her to smack a bit like august rush. [and quickly wash sticky finger marks off of]

she is delighted, and wants to learn. i want to teach her.

she is a work in progress. i got mail from her today. it's in my kitchen windowsill. :)

bigG
September 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
CB, here's a little something for ya:

"I would teach children music, physics and philosophy; but more importantly music, for in the patterns of music and all the arts are the keys to learning." - Plato

Looks like you have the wisdom of Plato there, CB! Good on ya! :D :bravo: