PDA

View Full Version : Truss Rod Adjustment?

t_ross33
August 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I have a wee bit of fret buzz, especially on the low E (not enough for most people to notice, but I do and it bugs me :D ). Should I adjust the truss rod to give the neck more relief, and if I do so will it affect intonation?

Thanks,

Trev

Tim
August 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM
T_Ross – I am no expert on this subject matter but I do adjust my truss rods from time to time. It sounds to me that you just need to raise that low E string just a tad higher than you have it right now. If the other strings are not buzzing then most likely your relief is OK.

t_ross33
August 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I can't adjust the action on each individual string as I have a fixed bridge/saddle (as most acoustics will be). Without replacing or mod'ing the nut and saddle the only way I know of adjusting string height is with truss rod adjustment - or am I missing something?

Tim
August 26th, 2006, 06:45 PM
T_Ross,

Hey, sorry about that. I missed the category of "Acoustics" when I read the question. A tapered shim might do the trick for you. Hopefully another Fretter may help you with this one.

t_ross33
August 26th, 2006, 11:27 PM
T_Ross,

Hey, sorry about that.

No problem-o ;) I figured you must have missed that.

Leonidas
August 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
hey T_Ross, I am no expert with this as well, but I have tinkered with my acoustic guitars quite a bit. I have found that slight adjustments to the truss rod usually solve the problem, and generally will not affect the intonation. I like my action/relief pretty low, and I find that when the seasons change (pennsylvania), that I usually need to make a minor adjustment. Intonation never went out of whack for me.

Good luck!

t_ross33
August 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a shot and blame you... I mean, let you know if I have any problems - LOL!

Trev