PDA

View Full Version : My guitar lust

syo
August 31st, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hello all...

I think I have finally figured a way to creatively supply my guitar appetite. I have been toying with the idea of designing and making (with a manufacturer) my own. This way my wife cannot complain about my buying another one. I am working on ways to perhaps market them but mostly (for now) this is a labor of love. Not worried too much about profits although it would be nice to make a go of it sometime. I have 3 prototypes being built now which I will post when I have them in about a month.

I do have a logo which you can see on the headstock of a very rough prototype that was put together (cheaply). I would be interested to hear what the fretters have to say about the logo and the overall idea of the name (since you all are now experienced with logo criticism).
You can find it here:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_93434a9c7b3fdca3a.jpg

One note (esp. to the good Rev. Rauk). I am not a satanist. I am also not particularly into metal. The name is suggestive but I figure "Hell" is different things to different people. Besides, "Gibson" and "Fender" were already taken.;)

Anyway, any comments would be appreciated. In fact, good, bad or otherwise, I look forward to them!

Kodiak3D
August 31st, 2009, 08:41 PM
First off, nice headstock. I like the shape. Reminds me a little of ESP's headstocks, just not as pointy. To me the script, while nice, seems out of place with the name "Hell." Perhaps something a little less fancy and more "hellish." For some reason, the Papyrus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_%28typeface%29) or Exocet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exocet_(typeface)) fonts came to mind.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind having a Hell guitar! I'm seeing something in a nice matte black finish with gold hardware. :D

Robert
August 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM
I like it. The font is cool, and I like the headstock. Maybe not that original, but it looks great.

syo
August 31st, 2009, 10:22 PM
First off, nice headstock. I like the shape. Reminds me a little of ESP's headstocks, just not as pointy. To me the script, while nice, seems out of place with the name "Hell." Perhaps something a little less fancy and more "hellish." :D

Thanks Kodiak. Actually, I played with quite a few fonts that played up the name, "Hell". While some I think worked, I decided I didn't want to conjure up images of fire and brimstone. Think of it as a company started by a man named Robert Hell. The hell connection is understated therefore but with a playful allusion to Hell via the snake.

When Adam and Eve traded paradise for free will they opened the door through rebellion to self-awareness, exploration and experience. The genesis (if you will) of Rock. Thanks, in part, to the snake.
Obviously I've given this some thought and am probably telling you more than you care to hear. This is my motivation anyway. Rock and Blues come from Hell. That's why they were (are?) called "the Devil's Music". :D:beavisnbutthead:

As a side note, I wouldn't mind having a Hell guitar! I'm seeing something in a nice matte black finish with gold hardware. :D

Who knows, if things work out right, maybe I can donate a couple for a Fret benefit. Depending on my degree of success and Robert's willingness that is.

I like it. The font is cool, and I like the headstock. Maybe not that original, but it looks great.

Thanks Robert. Still working on headstock ideas. Seems most of the good ideas have been done but I'm hoping for a breakthrough. I wasn't conciously looking at other headstocks when I was designing, but invariably there are always similarities.

Kodiak3D
September 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
Think of it as a company started by a man named Robert Hell. The hell connection is understated therefore but with a playful allusion to Hell via the snake.

Ah, couldn't really see the snake that well in the pic. Now that you mention it, I can see it. I like it :-)

bigG
September 1st, 2009, 04:47 AM
I LIKE it! Very nice, syo! Best of luck with your venture! Look forward to the additional pics! :bravo:

Algonquin
September 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM
Very nice Syo :AOK:
I'd love to read more as things progress further... great job!
Cheers :beer:

syo
September 1st, 2009, 06:04 AM
Ah, couldn't really see the snake that well in the pic. Now that you mention it, I can see it. I like it :-)

Sorry. I just noticed that the link I put up was for the thumbnail. Here's the headstock again, this time hopefully bigger.

http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1281

You might also notice that the lower left and right of the headstock are unintentionally different. One curved the other angled. It's supposed to be more curved all around. The inlay for the logo is also rough. This one was quick and dirty.

Kodiak3D
September 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Now that I see the bigger pic, I say everything is good as is. Very sweet.

I also like the black tuner knobs. :bravo:

marnold
September 1st, 2009, 09:53 AM
One note (esp. to the good Rev. Rauk). I am not a satanist. I am also not particularly into metal. The name is suggestive but I figure "Hell" is different things to different people. Besides, "Gibson" and "Fender" were already taken.;)
I don't know what the Hell you are talking about.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

syo
September 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I don't know what the Hell you are talking about.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And I'm sorry I misspelled your moniker. Perhaps I can make it up to you with the release of a Reverend Rawk Signature model. Hey... that has I nice ring to it...:D

Kodiak3D
September 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
And I'm sorry I misspelled your moniker. Perhaps I can make it up to you with the release of a Reverend Rawk Signature model. Hey... that has I nice ring to it...:D

The Revered Rawk Signature guitar by Hell? Perhaps a contradiction in terms there, but I think it's cool. :D