PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Street Party...

Algonquin
August 31st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Well it looks like I'll be playing a street party this upcoming weekend with the folks I've been playing with the past couple of months. It's just a casual street gathering with some activities for the kiddies and some live music. It's been a long, long time since I've played in front anyone, let alone a gathering of 50 to 60 people... but I think that I'm comfortable and ready for this.

The music is 'classic rock', and I think we have about 25 songs that we'll end up playing. Some I'm comfortable playing... others I'll just have to try and wing it. Should I be nervous?... I'm not sure. I bet I'll feel it a bit when we play our first tune, but I'm just having too good of a time to really worry about it. I'm hoping that I can capture some of it on video to share here, as this site has been great in supporting wankers like me develop my guitar playing amongst what I consider to be a great sharing community!

Wish me luck folks... I'm really looking forward to this! :AOK:

Thanks for listening...
David

sunvalleylaw
August 31st, 2009, 09:48 PM
You'll do great! That sounds a lot like the party I was at last weekend, where I was invited to join the band for a few songs. I had no choice but to wing it. I am sure you will be better prepared than I was, and it will be just fun anyway!

Algonquin
August 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks SVL Steve! :AOK:

You've had great experiences playing live the past while, and I'm hoping to grab some of the fun that you're recently experienced too!
:beer:

M29
August 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
All the best David you will do fine. :rockon: I have always wanted to do an outside gig on the guitar. You have what it takes you'll have a great time. Yes a vid man a vid:AOK:

bigG
September 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM
Hey David, you'll do great! Just go into it w the attitude that you're having fun AND doing what you love! Alot of people never get the chance to do that. Seize the day, baby, and have a blast! :D :beer:

oldguy
September 1st, 2009, 04:48 AM
Good luck, David, and have fun.
I played at a benefit last Sat. with a band that re-formed for the nite. They hadn't played together for two years, and I'd never sat in with them. It turned out to be lots of fun, and we raised some money for a good cause.
I bet you'll have a great time once the music starts and you get in the zone.:) I can't say that we sounded like pros, but we didn't suck, either.
We did mostly classic rock also, and after the first couple songs it was lots of fun.
Have a great time.:AOK:

Barre Fly
September 1st, 2009, 05:46 AM
Good on ya! You'll have a blast, 2 songs in and you'll just be enjoying yourself so much that you won't be thinking "can I?" - it'll just all start to flow.

I can't say that I'm speaking from experience as far as guitar playing goes, because I've yet to play in public - but I sang with bands twice this summer for the first time and felt the same way you've described - yet once we got going I was just...there!...y'know? :D

ted s
September 1st, 2009, 06:00 AM
Right on David, good for you !

Robert
September 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Good luck David, have lots of fun with it!

Spudman
September 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Cool. Have a great time. I know you will.

Algonquin
September 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the encouragement... I'm really looking forward to this!

David

SuperSwede
September 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM
Good luck David!!

Brian Krashpad
September 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Break a leg!

I haven't played a street party since the early '90's:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2480/177/82/512618878/n512618878_1404338_2996.jpg

bigoldron
September 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Good luck David! Hang loose and let'er rip!

Brian Krashpad
September 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM
And post pics when yer done!