PDA

View Full Version : Band gone into history...

deeaa
August 31st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Dunno if this is the right subforum, but anyway, I finally canned my Crankenhaus band. The band that never got anywhere and nobody heard it beside some internet visitors and gig audiences.

The page is still up though: http://www.crankenhaus.com

You can also D/L most of the songs, well about half of them, here directly:
http://deeaa.pp.fi/crankenhaus/

It's really sad, I really liked what we were starting to get done. It was kind of short-lived, just five gigs and one 10-song demo CD release. But what can I do. It was making music into the desk drawer.

The story is that we lost our solo guitarist as he moved to another town, and recruited this guitarist who's a good friend of the singer and in a band with him elsewhere too...and after that, nothing ever happened any more.

I mean, we did this CD recording (I recorded and mixed them) and got the release out without EVER sending it anywhere, or any promotion or anything. After that we had like 3 practices in the whole year. It seemed we never got everybody in place at the same time, let alone promote the music.

So all the music is just wasted now, all the songs I worked over a year with. All just waste of time. I made the logos, webpages, songs, everything, gig videos - getting gigs - and nothing. Even bought an amp for the guitarist and let the bassist play my bass.

I really feel it's not that I didn't try hard; we were doing a video too...I had the gear and the script and all, people ready to come and help...and the day before the shoot the singer and guitarist say they are not happy with the recordings and before we shoot the vid, we should re-record at least the video song. OK, so I did the recordings myself at our training place and so on, but for a first demo I think they'd be just fine. I could not afford the best there is; however I did buy an 8-input Presonus card, a bunch of recording mics and screens and whatnot for the project. ALL the mics and gear I used is mine; nobody else could help with the gear OR the mixing. I kept asking them to come and help and nobody could find the time.

So...we started re-doing it in the studio and...well the singer never got around to doing the vox for it, and I had to actually go and get the guitarist to do his parts from 50 miles away. And he didn't manage to do all of 'em because he had to rush back and I had to drive him there too. And it just stayed there, never got any further with it.

I just didn't have any options; I was also the only one paying for the exercise facility and while the drummer and bassist were eager to play, only the bassist ever helped with the costs - ever. The singer and guitarist never paid and most often were next to impossible to 'lure' into training too.

The funny thing is whenever I saw them, they seemed very eager and talked about how they wanted gigs and knew where to get them, let's do some, lets do this and that...but still, whenever we were supposed to practice, it never was a good time for them.

So in the end, I paid a few thousand in rents and gear costs over two years, had shirts and stickers made etc...and never got any help from the others, or much participation either a lot of the time despite all the talk.

I think it was a high time to can it.

Ultimately, maybe it was due to me doing everything...I know, I composed and did everything, but I do feel I did always give others a change to give input or suggestions...they seldom did though. They were always happy with how I told them I'd thought they'd play/sing/whatever in the songs.

It's still a far cry from my new 'Spookbox' band - we have had 4 sessions and have 4 songs already and only two of those are all mine, and even on those the guys came up with what to play all by themselves. And this time I also sing leads.

hubberjub
September 1st, 2009, 07:54 AM
I hear you. It's tough to keep a band going. I'm going through the same thing. Band members have different expectations and needs and If you aren't all on the same page it will never work. I play because I love it. It keeps my life from being mundane. I would play every night of the week if I could but other people only want to play to supliment their income. I hope your new band works out for you.

Algonquin
September 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear you had to scrap the band Dee, but as the saying goes... 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'.
You did however gain a lot of experience from you efforts, and right now I'm enjoying your YouTube video's as a result! You've got some great posts on your channel :AOK:

http://www.youtube.com/user/deeaa

Cheers :beer:
David

aeolian
September 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
It seems like your old band members just did not share the same sense of purpose you did, I think you made the right decision to move on.

When I have a chance I give your music a listen. Thanks for sharing.

marnold
September 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that, hopefully the new gig will be better.

On a lighter note, it probably was because it was a Finnish band with a German name :) That's one of my favorite German words by the way.

deeaa
September 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys...yeah I'm looking forward already to making a demo with the new setup. I'm visioning a real garage-style soundsphere, no polish but raw action, loud and noisy :-)

sunvalleylaw
September 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Sorry the old band ended, but it sounds you are envisioning where you want to go already. That sounds like an outfit I would like to hire on with, BTW. I really hope to get into a group that covers a lot of garageish sounding stuff. Anything from the Kinks to grunge and more modern roots oriented punk and a lot in between. I better start trying to find some people.