PDA

View Full Version : Have you played "Dead Space" or "Fallout 3"?

Robert
September 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Both these games look really cool. Are they truly awesome?

I have heard The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is also great.

The last Xbox game I bought was Left 4 Dead, which is cool but I don't play online multiplayer and that's really what the game is made for. Still have fun blasting zombies though.

deeaa
September 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Well I just posted about Fallout 3 - I think it might be the best single-player game I've played. I have clocked something like 200 hours on it, which is HUGE for a single-player game. The only games I've played as much are DooM back in the day and Call of Duty series online, which is excellent on PC.

Well, I always like dystopian games&movies. Stalker was great on PC as well.

I first played Fallout 3 a little ways on PC and it failed to hook me then...but something stuck in my mind, and I got it on Xbox and yeah, it hooked me good. It can be a bit hard to get going with it I guess, but it's a lot of fun if you like adventure and action combined.

On Xbox, The Orange Box was the bargain of the century...another dystopy...Half-Life2 was good enough to play thru again, definitely! Right now I'm playing Mass Effect which is good enough, very movie-like and such, a bit clean and feels like grinding a little at times. (I never really warmed at Halo either...or Gears of War...both feel very boring and repetitive to me) The fighting on Mass Effect seems too hard at least in the beginning. But I won't give up on it. Have to check if the fights can be done turn-based as well, it'd be better on the long run with repetitive battles. I used to think turn-based, animated fights suck big time, but Fallout 3 changed my mind - on consoles it may be preferable, lacking the fine touch of mouse.

Of recent games I played, I kinda liked the Condemned 2, although that's almost too violent for me. Another bargain bin game anyway.

Kodiak3D
September 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Fallout 3 was a great game, but Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the best single-player RPG I've ever played. I loved it.

deeaa
September 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
I guess I gotta try the Elder Scrolls as well. I have sort of an aversion towards them dungeons and dragons kind of stuff...I dunno, it's stupid, but somehow it just feels Fallout could be reality on some level whereas traditional RPG's often seem so...fable-like. I dunno. I should try one.

Kodiak3D
September 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
...somehow it just feels Fallout could be reality on some level whereas traditional RPG's often seem so...fable-like...

That's the point of playing them...getting away from reality for a bit. :D

deeaa
September 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
That's the point of playing them...getting away from reality for a bit. :D

Yeah, sure...I guess I just prefer it to be a, hm, well, more of a believable alternative reality, LOL :-) I can't bring myself to believe in magic and such, but a post-nuclear world works for me. Despite some obvious impossibilities too.

I dunno, I just always shun away from 'magic' and such.

You know, the funny thing is I'm actually writing a fantasy novel with a friend of mine...we've been at it for several years already...kinda like lord of the rings/ conan kind of stuff...some 400 pages written so far. But he's always adding stuff like somebody uses this and that spell or magic and I'm re-writing it just that he used 'dark powers' or something, trying to make it sound less like just...well magical and more believable.

Kodiak3D
September 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
You can certainly play through Oblivion without using much in the way of magic. I actually had more fun that way. I made an archer and had a blast.

deeaa
September 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Allright...I have to check it out then! It's available as direct download for 29 euros I see. The only thing is I have precious little of the 120GB left on my Xbox...I always install games on HD because I hate to wait for loads. Well I should sell a bunch of games I already played thru anyway. The local games shop usually swaps 2-3 games for one used or so, of course depending on the title.

I just bought like 4 new games last week though, maybe I should wait a sec.

BTW on Xbox arcade, check out Splosion Man...really addictive. I don't play platform hoppers as a rule (save Lego games with the son) but that one is very addictive. Best game I've gotten off LiveArcade, and I've D/L:d like two dozen.

SuperSwede
September 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
I have Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) and have perhaps played it for 20-30 hours which basically just is the beginning! Awesome game, you should get it Robert !

Geraint Jones
September 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I think I put a post in about Dead Space a while back , if you liked Event Horizon , Alien and films like that its absolutely fantastic although I don`t recomend playing it in the dark,alone and thru headphones , I play a lot of games and this must rank in my top 5.Fallout 3 was ok maybe 4 out of 5 but the sudden ending let it down for me.

pes_laul
September 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
I own fallout 3 and it is a really cool game (hard at points but its all good) and I rented dead space a while back. It's pretty intense at points (not as much as mark gormely) But the only way to play it is on hard mode in a dark room.:dude:

Robert
September 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I think I put a post in about Dead Space a while back , if you liked Event Horizon , Alien and films like that its absolutely fantastic although I don`t recomend playing it in the dark,alone and thru headphones , I play a lot of games and this must rank in my top 5.Fallout 3 was ok maybe 4 out of 5 but the sudden ending let it down for me.

Sweet! :bravo:
Sounds like I need to play it in the dark, alone and with headphones! :pancake:

deeaa
September 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM

I like such films a lot indeed...Aliens vs. Predator 2 was also an excellent game on PC...but the Dead Space demo at least seemed really crappy. It was basically just simple mutilation of some weird creatures.

Is it much different in the real deal? These days I expect much more from games than simple slaughtering and 'scary' faces appearing. I mean, DooM was and still is great with just going forward and killing (I still play it; I've played Doom1-2 thru something like ten times on various platforms), but DooM 3 and any other i.d. game after Quake2 have been major disappointments for me, although I have played every single one thru since Wolfenstein 3D waaay back.

I played the Fallout thru ages ago, but then I d/l:d the three new episodes for it and played them thru too...and now with everything done I still play it...my goal is to visit every place possible in the game. Still have many locations not visited...something like two dozen or so. Haven't even found the alien craft yet...of the quests I only have like the Nuka-cola challenge still underway. Certain buddies I can't get, though...Fawkes, Dogmeat etc. yeah, but can't get a zombie companion as long as my karma is too good :-( anyway, the ending was more like just a beginning of the game for me.