PDA

View Full Version : Oh, crap! My web server is dead....

duhvoodooman
September 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
We had some kind of "power event" here at home today--my son says the power went out for about 20 seconds and then came back on--and it appears to have done some serious damage to the PC I use as my web server. Power indicator light, drive power lights and fans all turn on, but no beeps, no display of any kind, no POST. I fear that the motherboard is fried. So duhvoodooman.com is likely to be down for an extended period of time....

If anybody has any good ideas on how to troubleshoot this, I'm all ears....er, eyes.

Robert
September 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM
Ouch. You will be missing out on A LOT of pedal orders now! :eek:

Get another machine going and throw in that harddrive from your fried PC.

I bet I will get questions from people, like "how do I get a hold of this friend of yours, the Vood dude, so I can some pedals ordered already!?" :)

Kazz
September 2nd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Any decent method of troubleshooting what you describe only puts other components at risk.....ie trying another processor in your current board....or another board with your current processor....either way you can fry the known good part.

Best bet is to try and find an identical motherboard and a new processor and put it back together so you do not have to reformat and reinstall. With how driver specific XP and up OS's are you cannot just plug your drive into a new system unless it is identical to the old one.

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
WHEW!! Turned out to be something simple--apparently just CMOS corruption from the power glitch. I cleared the CMOS with the mobo jumper and the PC came right back up running on restart. Thank you, Lord....

SuperSwede
September 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
WHEW!! Turned out to be something simple--apparently just CMOS corruption from the power glitch. I cleared the CMOS with the mobo jumper and the PC came right back up running on restart. Thank you, Lord....

Might be a good idea to backup everything if you havent done that already, you never know when the server decides to pack up and leave for good.

marnold
September 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Might be a good idea to backup everything if you havent done that already, you never know when the server decides to pack up and leave for good.
And get a UPS.

duhvoodooman
September 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I have everything on an automated weekly backup to a network drive with Norton Ghost. Has saved my bacon a couple of times.

This is great when a hard drive craps out, but doesn't help much if you have a processor or motherboard failure.

BTW, Kazz--I have on occasion upgraded the existing mobo & processor in a machine without having to do a drive reformat & complete OS reinstall. When you boot up the first time after the hardware change, you boot from the Windows CD and run a "repair install". See method described HERE (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm). This method causes all of your hardware to be reenumerated by Windows, but you don't lose your existing OS settings and your apps remain installed & functional. Saves TONS of time & work. But you still want to have everything backed up, just in case! And you will need to reactivate Windows when you're done, plus run Windows Update to install all the security patches, bug fixes, etc. that have come out since your Windows installation CD was issued.

Robert
September 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
You should really get a "real" web server solution. Your site has been erratic and hare-brained a few times! :)

Especially considering the fame you are developing among guitar players, as a great pedal builder (leading to more website traffic).

A quick Google search led me to http://www.aplus.net/hosting/personal/
$4.46 per month. Lots of options out there of course.

Kazz
September 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I have everything on an automated weekly backup to a network drive with Norton Ghost. Has saved my bacon a couple of times.

This is great when a hard drive craps out, but doesn't help much if you have a processor or motherboard failure.

BTW, Kazz--I have on occasion upgraded the existing mobo & processor in a machine without having to do a drive reformat & complete OS reinstall. When you boot up the first time after the hardware change, you boot from the Windows CD and run a "repair install". See method described HERE (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm). This method causes all of your hardware to be reenumerated by Windows, but you don't lose your existing OS settings and your apps remain installed & functional. Saves TONS of time & work. But you still want to have everything backed up, just in case! And you will need to reactivate Windows when you're done, plus run Windows Update to install all the security patches, bug fixes, etc. that have come out since your Windows installation CD was issued.

Didnt say it couldnt be done....just that it is not recommended.