PDA

View Full Version : NGD: Martin 00X1

bigG
September 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hey folks,

Dropped in to see my local guitar tech yesterday just to say hello, but Tues is his day off. I've had a new acoustic in mind lately - I love my Guild Jumbo, but it's just too big to sit on the sofa and pick, so I was thinking of maybe getting a 00.

As fate would have it, Martin has this X Series of guits (MIM), and the shop had a Martin 00X1 Java Mahogany hanging there for $499. Its back n sides are HPL laminate java mahogany, top is solid spruce. I played a bit, and this thing sounds wonderful! For its smaller size, it REALLY projects! Very nice frequency balance and action, fit n finish are excellent.

Here's MF's page on it:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-00X1-Java-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513369

I know it's not all solid wood, not USA made (Martin, shame on you! "America's Guitar", eh!?), but it's a Martin and souinds and plays very nice.

Any comments, suggestions or otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
G

bigG
September 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Well, since I posted the above, I've gone and bought a new Martin X Series 00X1!

00 size, everything is perfect! My sittin on the sofa and pickin while watchin nuthin on TV guitar!

For $499, I just fell in love w it and couldn't pass it up! My Fender MIM Tele will be sold tomorrow and will just abt pay for this new Martin!

All in all, a GOOD day! :D

Danzego
September 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have a Martin DX1, the same material specs (HPL back and sides, solid sitka spruce top, stratabond neck), and I think it's pretty darn nice. At first, it freaked me out when I learned that the thing isn't all wood and much of it is wood with plastic mixed in. However, not knowing that it was, it was the sound I bought it for. Going back to the store and trying everything I could under 800 bucks just showed how great the Martin sounds. The rest of them just sounded "boxy" by comparison, whereas the Martin has a nice, thick sound.

The best part about the Stratabond neck is that it isn't as prone to shifting due to environment changes. Over this summer, I didn't touch it for a few weeks (got a Les Paul and was/still am thoroughly into it). It sat in a room that went hot to cold from day to night- at least a 20 degree temperature change nearly every day. I picked it up to play and it was still perfectly in tune.

Sure, I can't be doing that because of the wood top, but it just goes to show you the benefits of "alternate materials" (which just sounds better than "a plastic/laminate guitar"). ;)

Robert
September 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Congrats! I would like a Martin too, some day.

sunvalleylaw
September 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Congrats! I would like a Martin too, some day.

+1!!

evenkeel
September 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Very nice BigG. I've played a few of the HPL series Martins and came away thinking good thoughts. I love the 00/000 size. I think it's a very forgiving, universal acoustic. Enjoy!!! :bravo: :bravo:

Algonquin
September 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Congrats G! :AOK:

You moved pretty quickly on that one, it must have impressed you a great deal! I agree, some of the smaller sized bodies really project wonderfully. I know you'll enjoy this guitar.
Cheers :beer:
David

bigG
September 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys!

Truly an amazing acoustic guitar! Martin hit the nail right on the head w this affordable X series! I can't put it down! No bag, no case, this one sits bare naked right next to my sofa for quick pick-up-n-play-anytime action. And it's seen alot of that since yesterday afternoon!

Man, I've been hitting the jackpot lately on finding exactly what I want at a price I can afford! Got my mojo workin!

Thanks again!
G

peachhead
September 3rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
The store I go to often has these, and I have lusted after them many times.
You're not helping!! :thwap: