PDA

View Full Version : List all of your current musical projects

Brian Krashpad
September 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
OK, I admit I stole this from Harmony-Central, but it's a good discussion point.

Watcha doin'?

Rock Bands:

1. Main band, punk rock originals, ideally gigs about once a month, which we have for the last 3 (skipping this month though), I write, sing lead, play lead guitar:

http://www.myspace.com/CrashPad

2. Main side band, roots rock originals, semi-inactive, played a few weeks ago only because I put us on a bill with Crash Pad, have played a few times this this year, I play bass (currently, have also played lead in past) and do backing vocals:

http://www.myspace.com/HoytAndTheHotHeads

3. Arguably defunct side band, rock/power pop originals, still exists on paper but singer lives about 100 miles away, hasn't played in over a year, I play lead and do backing vocals when we play as a quartet, and shift over to bass if bassist can't make a show:

http://www.myspace.com/DynamiteCharade

Church-related Projects:

1. Praise Band: play most every Sunday, 3 to 5 songs per service, usually one song on mandolin and rest on electric guitar

2. Pedagogy: new trio doing mainly originals written by the praise band leader. He plays mainly piano, and guitar on a couple songs, we have a drummer, and I play bass. First performance is at a College Youth bbq this Friday night, but the leader, Joel, has said he wants to play non-church venues too. Some of his songs (not us playing on them) are here:

http://www.myspace.com/JoelSchrank

3. Youth Band: the senior high school/middle school Youth Group is going to put together a band to play when we do Gator football parking at church (our church is just down the street from the Swamp). The core of the band will be 3 high-schoolers, a singer-guitarist that plays in the praise band, the drummer that plays in praise band and Pedagogy, and my daughter on bass in her first band. The praise band leader will sit in on keys and I will sit in on lead guitar, mandolin, or whatever. Should be fun to play in a band with my daughter. Has not played yet, still in planning/practice stages.

4. Boar's Head: big Christmas costume pageant/production based on medieval traditions. Am considering trying to talk someone into letting me play mandolin and/or 12-string acoustic in it this this year. Both my kids were in it last year, my daughter as Mary, my son as a shepherd.

Whew.

Kodiak3D
September 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Project 1:
Learn to play.
Making progress, but still a long way to go.

All other projects on hold until Project 1 reaches a decent stage.

Brian Krashpad
September 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Project 1:
Learn to play.
Making progress, but still a long way to go.

All other projects on hold until Project 1 reaches a decent stage.

It's good to have a plan!

:AOK:

deeaa
September 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
1. New main band: Spookbox. No webpages as of yet. ETA this year.

2. Phasing out band: Crankenhaus. Going out of business.

http://crankenhaus.com/

3. Internet project band. These will be all re-done, now with a drummer and a bassist, no more solo work. And new songs upcoming/in the works. Webpages being thought of...ought to update the myspace as well.

http://www.myspace.com/deeaaband

4. Another Internet band. Project-43, or P-43. Currently in the process of releasing our third CD/release. On this one I basically just sing; I play the bass on maybe 2 songs and some guitars on maybe 3 or so.

http://project-43.com/

Old stuff I'd have to update/rearrange: Just all kinds of older bands and stuff...

http://deeaa.pp.fi

street music
September 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Plan # 1;
Continue to play with friends at Our Front Porch Pickin.
Plan #2
Continue to practice and learn what I can at home and hope to improve my rythm and strumming .
Plan#3
To continue my training in Sound sets and production of live shows.
Plan#4
To help our local school stage band grow into a real good live band.
Plan#5
See that Kodiak continues his playing, as he has more talent than his ole man.
Keep out of trouble while trying do the 5 plans.

hubberjub
September 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
My main band (which is in the process of disbanding) is The Second Class Citizens. (http://www.myspace.com/thesecondclasscitizens) Kind of a country/funk/jamband. We've been together for seven years and had the opportunity to share the stage with some pretty big name bands.

My new band is as yet unnamed. We just played our first show this past weekend. I would describe it as psychedelic country. We just were booked for a festival this fall and will be playing with Rusted Root, David Grisman Quintet, and Keller Williams among other great bands.

My other project is currently called Bach Choy (http://www.myspace.com/bachchoyband). They lost one of their guitarists and asked me to join. It's a really funky band that occasionally has a horn section. I'm playing my first gig with them this weekend.

I like to keep busy playing music. It's the only thing that separates me from normal people. (Yuck)

marnold
September 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
#1: Continue to teach my son to play guitar via the 2007 Metal Method course
#2: Learn the solo from Metal Method stage 3
#3: Learn the solo from Metal Method stage 4
#4: Learn the solo from Metal Method stage 5
#5: Figure out this sweep picking bidness

Rampant
September 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Step 1 - keep on learnin'
Step 2 - look at more guitars
Step 3 - keep on learnin'
Step 4 - look at more guitar gear
Step 5 - keep on learnin'
Step 6 - maybe buy some gear

Step 1 was so important I thought it was worth mentioning more than once...

:)

pes_laul
September 2nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
My Main band: http://myspace.com/tobeannounced7 We are a sorta 90's alternative grunge style band. we do all originals and I play guitar and sing.

sunvalleylaw
September 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
and play a little piano at least on one song, right? I love seeing you go for it Kris and enjoy very much seeing what all the fretters have going.

Ro3b
September 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Cool, good thread! Lessee...

1. I co-host a traditional Irish music session once a week at a pub in Bethesda. My friend (who plays fiddle) and I are paid to be there, and generally five to ten other people turn up to drink beer and play tunes and socialize. In all modesty, it's the best Irish music in the DC area.

2. I'm in a new group with two drummers and a Scottish highland piper (playing electric pipes!). It's heavy on the funk and strangeness, and loud as seven hells. We're still building repertoire and figuring out how things are going to work. I'm not sure that we'll ever get booked to play anywhere, but it's fun.

3. The other new band is a semi-sorta-goth/punk project with a friend who is an amazing singer. Very excited about this one.

4. I'm composing and recording ambient electronic music. Plans for a cd of this stuff are on hold for now; I've been too busy lately to devote much time to it. http://www.myspace.com/ro3b

5. I'm playing tons of weddings, parties, set dances, and suchlike. I've been to more damn weddings than anybody I know.

6. I've got about five private guitar and/or Irish flute students, but I'm kind of getting burned out on teaching and I'm likely to be retiring from it soon.

Rampant
September 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Cool, good thread! Lessee..

2. I'm in a new group with two drummers and a Scottish highland piper (playing electric pipes!). It's heavy on the funk and strangeness, and loud as seven hells. We're still building repertoire and figuring out how things are going to work. I'm not sure that we'll ever get booked to play anywhere, but it's fun.

Very Cool :bravo:

Gotta love the pipes, matey :beer:

Perfect Stranger
September 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'm in my 44th year of trying to learn to play guitar....

luvmyshiner
September 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Musical project plan for this weekend:

1. CB and I drive to Houston to hook up with the boy.
2. Hugs, catch up, drink whiskey.
3. Break out the guitar noodle around a little while we visit.
4. Realize I suck, put down guitar, drink more whiskey.
5. When his girlfriend gets there, pick up guitar and noodle around a little more to try to impress her.
6. Realize I still suck, drink more whiskey.
7. Pick guitar up, realize "Hey, I'm not half bad" . . . think about it . . . recognize there is a direct correlation between how much whiskey I drink and how good my guitar playing is.
8. Drink more whiskey.
9. Drink more whiskey.
10. Pick up guitar, play a few songs, realize that I AM A GUITAR GOD . . . I SOUND SO FRIGGIN' GOOD I SHOULD BE GETTING PAID FOR THIS.
11. Drink more whiskey.
12. Go to bathroom, throw up, try to make it sound like I'm peeing.
13. Drink more whiskey.
14. Pick up guitar and announce to the room that they are not good enough to hear someone of my caliber play guitar, and I hope they realize just how friggen' lucky they are because I'm giving this stuff away for FREE!
15. Feel CB gently tugging at my arm and taking me to the bedroom.
16. Pass out.

Yup, that should just about do it.:AOK:

pes_laul
September 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
and play a little piano at least on one song, right? I love seeing you go for it Kris and enjoy very much seeing what all the fretters have going.
Sometimes when we record but I dont get alot of chances too because We dont have a keyboard (nice one anyway)

kiteman
September 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
1. Jam
2. Jam
3. Jam
4. Jam
5. Jam

What can I say.. It's so much fun jammin' :beer:

EDIT: if you must know why I'm having so much fun jammin', it's my Adrenalinn III so you'll have to blame Roger Linn for this mess. :D

evenkeel
September 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity!! A 40 plus year quest. :thwap:

sunvalleylaw
September 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sometimes when we record but I dont get alot of chances too because We dont have a keyboard (nice one anyway)
I was thinking of that one vid you posted but that might have not been with your band.

marnold
September 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM

. . .

Or as it's known in the Shiner household: Saturday

deeaa
September 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM

1. CB and I drive to Houston to hook up with the boy.
2. Hugs, catch up, drink whiskey.
3. Break out the guitar noodle around a little while we visit.
4. Realize I suck, put down guitar, drink more whiskey.
5. When his girlfriend gets there, pick up guitar and noodle around a little more to try to impress her.
6. Realize I still suck, drink more whiskey.
7. Pick guitar up, realize "Hey, I'm not half bad" . . . think about it . . . recognize there is a direct correlation between how much whiskey I drink and how good my guitar playing is.
8. Drink more whiskey.
9. Drink more whiskey.
10. Pick up guitar, play a few songs, realize that I AM A GUITAR GOD . . . I SOUND SO FRIGGIN' GOOD I SHOULD BE GETTING PAID FOR THIS.
11. Drink more whiskey.
12. Go to bathroom, throw up, try to make it sound like I'm peeing.
13. Drink more whiskey.
14. Pick up guitar and announce to the room that they are not good enough to hear someone of my caliber play guitar, and I hope they realize just how friggen' lucky they are because I'm giving this stuff away for FREE!
15. Feel CB gently tugging at my arm and taking me to the bedroom.
16. Pass out.

My kind of a night! Happen to have any Scandinavian family roots? :-)

jpfeifer
September 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
My main musical activities ...

1) Guitar Center: King of the Blues competition
I entered the Guitar Center King of the Blues competition a couple months ago. I've been working really hard on my playing to prepare for this and get my chops together. I love this contest because it really helps to to focus on your style (and developing it more), and keeps you motivated to improve. I just finished round 1 of the store competitions and was selected to go on to the store finals this coming week.

2) Playing with a contemporary Church Group every Sunday at Mass
I've been playing with various Church groups every Sunday evening since 1989 (only missed a handful of Sundays since then) My wife and I have been doing this together and now our kids are involved it it with us as well. It's a great way to keep active in music and also do something worthwhile for the community.

3) Writing / recording my own tunes
This is one area that I haven't spent so much time on lately but I'm hoping to get back into it when I have more time. I like to write and record my own stuff, or help people with producing/recording their own tunes. Here is a site with my own stuff: http://www.soundclick.com/jimpfeifer

Here is link to my daughter's MySpace music page, I produced these with her and played all the guitar & mandolin parts.
http://www.myspace.com/apfeif4

-- Jim

pes_laul
September 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I was thinking of that one vid you posted but that might have not been with your band.
Oh yeah that was my band 2 guitar players and one bassist ago. That was sorta of a one time thing because Not every where I go has a full grand piano. (I guess that's one good thing about school)

M29
September 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I have been playing in our church group for about 7 months now. It is great to be able to play with a group.
In my practicing I am focusing on phrasing, phrasing, and more phrasing and want to get together with others to jam. I would love to be able get together with others and jam outside, preferably playing classic rock.

luvmyshiner
September 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Or as it's known in the Shiner household: Saturday

:rotflmao:

And Sunday . . . and sometimes Monday.:D

bigoldron
September 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Two main projects, both church related:

1) Our youth praise band. I play guitar and lead the band. The kids do a great job singing. My bass player's only been playing bass for less than a year and he's doing a great job. One thing I don't have is a drummer. My last one moved away. The adult praise band drummer has been filling in lately. His son will be old enough next year to be in youth and he's a drummer, so that niche will be filled.

2) We formed an adult praise band at the end of June. We've got one couple who are constantly performing at other churches in their gospel group. He's a good singer, but is playing bass for us. His wife plays piano. Our keyboard player is very talented. She can play pretty much anything you put in front of her. She used to attend a somewhat charismatic church, so she's familiar with all the praise songs. The drummer we have is pretty good too. Then there's me. I just do the best I can. The singers we have are OK - that's all I'm gonna say about them. But we've played pretty much every Sunday for the last two months. I'm really enjoying this, so I hope we keep going.

We're constantly tweaking our equipment, trying to get a good sound without blowing out anybody. Everything's pretty much running through the house system right now. Still haven't gotten it "just right", but we're getting closer every week.

Eric
September 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
1. Trying to figure out how to record into my computer, which involves A) figuring out sound in Linux, including Jack B) figuring out if I need a new sound card, C) figuring out if my computer can handle a firewire card, D) figuring out if the Firebox I inherited for free is operational (doesn't sync right now), and E) figuring out if I need a new computer due to limited expandability.

2. Arriving at a conclusion for a live setup that can (hopefully) be constructed without the need for a tube amp. My back put in the request.

3. Playing (mostly) weekly at church and convincing them to throw in more leads on a regular basis.

4. Learning all of those Andy Summers riffs that involve lots of finger-stretching. Sweep picking and mastering the CAGED thing fits in there too.

5. Figuring out what to do with my Xaviere XV-900 and whether there's a way to make it sound better than it does.

Brian Krashpad
September 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
2. Arriving at a conclusion for a live setup that can (hopefully) be constructed without the need for a tube amp. My back put in the request.

There's always casters.

Is your live setup for church?

I'm using a little Super Champ XD as a stage monitor, lined out into a bigger rig, but the bigger rig stays at church 24/7, so it's no big deal.

sunvalleylaw
September 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
1. Continue to improve my jazz versions of "over the rainbow" and "wonderful world" to play with my Dad, and along the way, figure out how we are going to "play together" on line. I am envisioning sending him a recording of me playing rhythm to a click track, and him playing sax over that. I am not sure how I am going to get him recorded though. Might have to buy him a mic and a decent sound card for his computer for Christmas.

2. Get a new live playing together thing going. I have a lawyer friend who wants to play together, and we have exchanged some songs we each know, and I am going to check that out to see if it will work.

3. Work through "Foundations for Guitar" from start to finish, even the stuff I supposedly should know by now, and apply the concepts in Mark's Hendrixy rhythm/lead lessons.

4. See if I am going to do any Christmas music this year. I have the last few, and we were starting to focus on jazz oriented arrangements of a lot of the old standards. I hope we pick it up again, and play not only at the annual Christmas bizarre, but also at a coffee house or two, or something like that.

Eric
September 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
There's always casters.

Is your live setup for church?

I'm using a little Super Champ XD as a stage monitor, lined out into a bigger rig, but the bigger rig stays at church 24/7, so it's no big deal.

Yeah, it's just a 50W class AB combo, but it's still a big pain in the butt to haul around. I don't play every week there, so I take it down when I'm not going to be playing the next week.

Unfortunately, there are also stairs.