PDA

View Full Version : Skydog Duane Allman & Jazz article

Robert
September 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Interesting read here http://www.jazz.com/jazz-blog/2009/9/2/allman-barnes

If he had lived, maybe he would have become a jazz fusion guitarist?

msteeln
September 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
If he had lived, maybe he would have become a jazz fusion guitarist?

Rock fusion was good enuf, if not better, and he was one of the best.

Perfect Stranger
September 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I remember sitting in the eastside Krystal Restaurant in Macon, GA the night he wrecked his motorcycle. For us
hometown boys it was a sad, sad night. Having played free many Sundays at Central City Park in Macon, the
Brothers were friends with most of the "hippie" population in Macon, of which I am proud to say "I was one!"
I remember being at the music festival the above writer describes and that's no small feat. Good times....good
times....missed times! :AOK:

R_of_G
September 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
interesting article robert. thanks for posting.

for my part, i tend to think duane already was a jazz guitar player. perhaps he did it from within the confines of a rock band, but the allmans were never the ordinary rock band. when the songs came to the solo sections, more often than not, both duane and dickey were jazz musicians.

peachhead
September 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Nice article. I think Duane was so into music as a whole- not just one genre- he could take so many different musical thoughts and pull them together into whatever kind of road he wanted to take at that particular time. That's why I love to hear as much of the original lineup as I can, because so much of it varies from take to take. Also, as a session player, I think he got to incorporate so much; thinking outside the box if you will; he pulled so many different things into that one box he was playing (did that make sense?). I simply cannot listen to his music enough- not necessarily from a guitarists standpoint, but just in a musical way. It's like taking the same road time after time but always seeing something different each time you go down it.

OK, I'll stop now.