PDA

View Full Version : Does your character affect your playing???

Jimi75
August 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Hey there folks,

I have been thinking about this for quite a long time and I mean a long time.
How far is our playing an image of our own character? I mean is the smooth jazz player also a relaxed cat in life? Think of characters like Steve Vai maybe to name an extreme. All his attitude seems to be parallel to his playing...

In 1997 Noel Redding the bass player of the Jimi Hendrix Experience stayed right next door in my hotel. He was a brillant guitar and bass player and his playing had this "get out of my way I am desperate" attitude. When I spoke to him I figured out that all his playing already gave away his character. Or for example Mark Knopfler - I was surprised when he spoke to me about fishing and educating kids. During the show I thought that his playing sounded like the playing of someoe with a big heart. Not pretentious at all, much love in the melody lines...I felt that his behaviour was close to his playing.

Another extreme example is Greg Koch. He did a a clinic tour with Fender in 2002. Man, his playing is extraordinary and sometimes bizzare. Exactly like this he behaved when he was not playing the guitar...he is really a very very nice and cool guy, but he used to shock people with immitating a dog - and he really could shock you with this. All his behaviour was "comic" if you know what I mean....just listen to his CDs and you will find this. This is also valid for Matthias "IA" Eklundh.

Don't know if all this is coincidence, but somehow I think there is a connection!

Take it easy and I hope my thread gave you something to think about :-)

Greetz
Jimi75

Robert
August 26th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Great post! I think you are onto something. I know that what I play often comes from my emotions or attitude. I also get inspired (or the opposite) by the guitar tone. If I have nice, big, roomy tone, I play more relaxed and melodic. If I have a mean, dirty tone, I'll dig in harder and play more agressively.

To stick to your theory, how about some opposites. To name some horn players - John Coltrane, wasn't he a very mellow, relaxed guy, but his playing sure was on fire, especially in the later years of his career. Miles Davis, he was a guy with thick skin and attitude. He played both hard and mean, as well as melodic and graceful.

Paul Gilbert seems to go along with your theory. Another very funny dude and that often shows in his playing.

I can't think of any others right now. I am not so aware of the character or personality of any famous guitar players - I haven't talked to any for any longer amount of time.

tiefnig
August 27th, 2006, 04:31 AM
I think there is a connection.
If I take myself as an example it just has to be true. I can be serious sometimes, but mostly I'm kind of the funny, psycho guy. You can hear that when I play I think. And as robert said, it depends on the guitar tone. If I have a strat I'd do some blues stuff, if I have a Ibanez with humbuckers and a floyd rose you will hear some metal from it. It depends what feel your gear gives you. Another thing is your mood. If I'm angry I play hardrock/metal stuff. If I want to have a good time it's more blues stuff mixed with rock. It also depends on what I play, if I go for johnny b. goode (jimi hendrix version) I go crazy on it. When I play tears in heaven my playing calms down and gets "emotional" like it should be.
So yes, character does go into your playing.

Jimi75
August 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. I think the "tone" aspect is a very crucial point that I forgot to take into consideration!
Maybe we chose the "tone" regarding our daily mood? Ever been in the mood to play a totally heavy riff with distorted sound? I think this has to do with the mood you are in.....and vice versa the tone leads your playing, definitely.

tremoloman
September 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I believe a player's personality plays a major part in shaping the style and tone of a guitar player. I consider improvisation nothing more than a person's inner feelings and soul being amplified into sound for the world to hear. Call me a hippie, but that's how I feel. That's why I love artists who improvise. Players I admire such as Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Johnny Cash, and Muddy Waters just capture my attention with a single note.

A great example of this is the Band ofJimi plays in the Band of Gypsys "Machine Gun" recording. Those two long droning notes that start off the solo just drip with passion. His eyes are closed through the entire solo. To me, this 'Machine Gun' recording is what defines what guitar playing is all about.

You can hear & see the solo I'm referring to at 4:18 in the 1st clip for those who don't want to sit through the whole song. (but why would you want to!?!?!)

Machine Gun (Live w/Band of Gypsys) Part 1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vsh7GxzxPSs) Part 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GyHspCLKgdU)