PDA

View Full Version : NGD! MXL 990 Condenser Mic, ART preamp, Pop Filter

Robert
September 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
New Gear (not "guitar") Day!

After talking to all of yous earlier about microphones, I went to MF and ordered an MXL 990 Condenser Mic, an ART preamp, and a MF Pop Filter. All 3 things were altogether under 100 bucks! :)

I just received it today, and I haven't tested it yet, but at least it looks cool. I have my first ever condenser mic and my first ever mic preamp and my first eva pop filter! :master:

Actually kind of weird that I got three things from a music store, and none of them are really for guitar use. The good old guitar-GAS ain't what it used to.

Another thing, I got a bag in the box - Cell Phones for Soldiers - never seen that before. They want you to donate your old cellphone and proceeds go towards prepaid calling cards for American troops.

I'll be releasing my fantastic sounding album in the near future. :thwap: :poke:

bigG
September 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Congrats, Robert. New toys is new toys, eh! And it's always fun to get new toys! :D

Spudman
September 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
New Gear (not "guitar") Day!

Actually kind of weird that I got three things from a music store, and none of them are really for guitar use. The good old guitar-GAS ain't what it used to.

Now you will get to start exploring a whole other world of GAS and it's way more expensive than guitar GAS. Welcome to the club.:D

and congrats on the new goodies.:AOK:

Trailer Park Casanova
September 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hopefully the more affordable mic's appearing on the market will put some price-reduction pressure on the mid/high priced stuff.

syo
September 26th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm curious Robert, have you had a chance to try out the mic? I've often wondered about those MXL's. By the way, I've had one of those Art preamps for years The Studio V3. It was pretty good when I got it but after the tube went, I put in a decent Sovtek tube and it was amazing how much better it became. Difference was like night and day. Cut noise dramatically and overall much cleaner. If you have some decent tubes lying around, I recommend you try it. One way or the other though, it is a nice little unit.

otaypanky
September 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I got a 990 and a 991 in a set along with an M-Audio 'Audio Buddy' pre-amp on sale a few years ago. $100 at GC. I have since gotten a pair of the Art pre's. I think some people turn their nose up at these MXL mics because they are inexpensive. But I must say I was shocked at how good I thought they sound. I never had a condenser before either. I hear things on playbacks I wasn't even aware of while recording, like someone walking somewhere in the house or the water heater turning on.
I have used them for recording acoustic guitar, vocals, and combo amps.
For acoustic, I aim one toward the bridge and aim the other at the nut or fretboard. When doing guitar amps I usually have an SM 57 near the speaker and the 990 back a few feet for 'room' sound.
I think you'll have a ball : )

Robert
September 27th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I've used the mike for recording voice (speaking) and it sounds great to me. This is my first condenser microphone so I don't have anything to compare to, but I find this to be a very good deal, regardless. It picks up a lot, like otaypanky says, and I get a natural and warm sound when speaking. So far, not attempts of singing or playing through it, but that will eventually happen.

oldguy
September 27th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Congratulations, I bet you'll enjoy it more and more as you use it.
(Why not order from zzounds, tho?).:confused:

SuperSwede
September 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I've used the mike for recording voice (speaking) and it sounds great to me.

You are not taking up spoken word now are you Robert? ;)

Robert
September 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Congratulations, I bet you'll enjoy it more and more as you use it.
(Why not order from zzounds, tho?).:confused:

It works great this stuff, and it was very low cost. Why not Zzounds, well it was because I got free shipping. I think we may switch over to Musicians Friend instead of Zzounds eventually, because the affiliate process is smoother with MF.

SS, I was doing voice-overs for video.