PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my Windsor half stack

kiteman
September 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I bought it because it was $399 for the kit at MF. It sounded pretty good as it is and I thought that was it, a so-so amp. Turned out I have a bad power tube because it started crackling. I did a pencil trick and found the culprit.

The tubes are supposed to be new like the amp is but I don't like the idea of having to buy new tubes so I searched the net and found that I can pull two tubes and cut the wattage in half in the process.

Well, I did it and the amp just sound so much better I was surprised. It kicks and I jammed on it yesterday.

Happy days. :)

Radioboy950
September 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Nice to hear you're diggin' the Windsor, Kite.
That was an incredible deal on that half-stack.
Although I've never played one or heard one in person, I always thought they sounded very good in all the clips I checked out.
Seems very classic rock...Marshall-type crunch.
How would you describe it, now that you've played around with it some more?

kiteman
September 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Can't really tell, cleaned up pretty good. I think it still has that british voice but sounds cleaner. Before all that it had a tone I didn't want to be stuck with but that bad tube is what gave it a sucky tone.

I can imagine what a retube will do. I'd like to stock it with Mullard Reissues but I don't want to spend money on it. At least not now. :)

I retubed my BJr (sold) and my BHHD with M.I.s and they are really sweet tubes.

jim p
September 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
You should give Peavy a call at the toll free number 877-732-8391 to see if they will send out a replacement tube or a set of replacement tubes if you are still in warranty. I called the other day for a 10k pot for the Windsor and they are just sending me one.
Just to check when you use only two tubes you need to adjust the impedance by setting amp for 4 ohms with 8 ohm cabinet, 8 with 16 ohm and 16 with 32 ohms cabinet. Won’t hurt if you have it set wrong but the output power will be matched and greater if set it up this way.

kiteman
September 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Yea, it's set at 8 for my 16 ohm cab. :)

I'm not going to worry about the tubes, I'll replace 'em when they worn and they won't be Ruby.