PDA

View Full Version : Jim Hall - the best jazz guitarist ever

Robert
September 5th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I think Jim Hall is probably the best hollow-body jazz guitarist who ever lived.

Listen to this for example.
yq5SLpv-RxQ

Next, Touch Of Your Lips - Great playing, poor picture quality. But this just SWINGS so good! :master:
Steve Swallow plays great bass and I think the drummer is Bob Moses. Great trio. :bravo:
xFLkC3-B7mI

Then Jim Hall with Art Farmer. Listen to Hall's comping -> Masterful. Also check out that wicked drum solo, guys! DAT RULEZ!
mAP2ZAlaxLs

bigG
September 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Robert, I don't know abt the best ever, but certainly one of the best. I have his Concierto and All Across The City on SACD, and the sound and playing is sublime on both! :AOK:

How abt Wes Montgomery, or Tal Farlow, or Kenny Burrell? (Three that just immediately came to mind.) Certainly in the same league as Jim Hall, for sure! Farlow's recorded output was slim, but Wes and Kenny were staples on most of the great jazz discs of all time...Their recorded output, both as solo artists/duets and sidemen in many various trios and quartets is almost overwhelming.

But, as always, your taste is unquestionably spot-on! ;)

Edit: Speaking of Jim Hall, one of my two local music shops has this exquisite 1979 ES175 for sale in store (in a glass display case) and also on ebay, here:
Take a look and drool! Oh man, if I had the $$$$$$$$!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-1979-Gibson-ES175D-Hard-To-Find_W0QQitemZ270436358262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuita r?hash=item3ef7435876&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

(The Chris Davis mentioned at the end of the description is my guitar tech.)

G

Robert
September 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Cool, those 1979 Gibsons are awesome!

I get inspired by players who use such guitars, but I'm not sure I'd use one very much even if I had one. I'm still a Strat guy! ;)

M29
September 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Robert I think we would all like to hear you on a ES175, I bet there is another side of you just waiting to get out. Do it doooo it:poke:
Thanks for posting Jim Hall.

Robert
September 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Robert I think we would all like to hear you on a ES175, I bet there is another side of you just waiting to get out. Do it doooo it:poke:
Thanks for posting Jim Hall.

However, do realize that all sides of me come with veins! No matter which way I turn. :rotflmao: :beer:

M29
September 6th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Yow! eek....ow....too much information.....Yikes.........:rotflmao: