PDA

View Full Version : EQ this or EQ that?

kiteman
September 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM
My amp have the EQs and my multi-fx pedals have the EQs. What's a good way to use 'em?

All EQs on amps set half way and use EQs on pedals (what I'm doing), mix and match 'em, or turn off EQs on pedals and use amps' EQs.

Two of my pedals have 4-5 bands EQs on 'em and I can't turn off the EQs on the amps.

Thanks.

Spudman
September 7th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I know what you mean. It does seem to get confusing. I think the best thing is to just use your ear. The easiest solution is to set your amp tones at half and then if your sound needs something turn the amp knobs instead of tweaking the pedal.

Some amps tone knobs though don't really work like that though because changing them boosts or cuts the overall signal to the amp and it changes much more than just the tone.

I think you just have to use your ears.

deeaa
September 8th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I just posted a while back...IMO the best approach is to NOT use them EQ's at all....unless for a mid boost pedal or whatever.

I just keep them all at level. But I do use a 'master' EQ of sorts, i.e. a BBE Sonic Maximiser, and from that I adjust overall brightness or low end amount according to guitar used and the amp used, if they vary a bit.

I find, if I feel a need to start tweaking EQ settings more than just overall presence/bass amounts at maximum, then there's something wrong with my setup. So I change the pickups, speakers or something.

EQ to me seems like painting your house with whatever you happen to have handy and then using various colored glasses to view it so it appears pleasant. You don't need it much if you get the basics of your sound right.

bedroom rocker
September 8th, 2009, 05:28 AM
when i bought my digitech rp80 multi fx at the shop, the guy told me to turn down the bass and tone dials to 9 o'clock on my amp and always use the pedal with just the bridge position with the guitar... was he full of crap? needless to say i didnt take his advice as it sounded way too muddy on the amp

kiteman
September 8th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I know what you mean. It does seem to get confusing. I think the best thing is to just use your ear. The easiest solution is to set your amp tones at half and then if your sound needs something turn the amp knobs instead of tweaking the pedal.

Some amps tone knobs though don't really work like that though because changing them boosts or cuts the overall signal to the amp and it changes much more than just the tone.

I think you just have to use your ears.

What I thought. Only one of my amps have the cut/boost on the knobs and have the detent in the middle. They stay in the middle so they don't defeat the pedal's EQ.

Now on my other amps I don't know what I have, all cut or all boost but you're right, ears comes to play. I guess I was doing the best way possible.