PDA

View Full Version : Hunters are you ready?

M29
September 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I went to a 3 D shoot with my son the other day and on the third target my bow blew up. :messedup: Lately I have been putting a new string on along with all the other associated parts. It sure was a surprise when it happened. I am standing there with a lump on the side of my face from one of the limbs that hit me and the other hand has a bow with a bunch of stuff danglin from it. I sure don't want that to happen again. I was hoping I could get one more season out of it before I changed the string and buss cables. :thwap:

http://webpages.charter.net/tankm4/bowbroke.jpg

Lots of stuff to get together for huntin season up here in Michigan. Anybody else preppin?

M

sumitomo
September 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Ouch!!! Man that musta hurt.I used to hunt (poach) when I was a poor boy,a deer would feed 5 familys ect.so now that I have money I dont.Its just a thing with me,mother nature provided when I needed,I have nothing against hunting,heck my neighbor is out there now and I told him get some meat man I can taste that backstrap now.Sumi:D

M29
September 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah Sumi, our family eats good for quite a while if I gets one.......or two.:D

Kodiak3D
September 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Street_Music and I used to do a lot of 3D shooting (went to the IBO Championships once :D ). While I hate to hear of anyone's bow coming apart like that, I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse than you were. I've heard stories of some horrid accidents. Today's bows are truly amazing, but the amount of potential energy they store when at full draw is mind-boggling.

What exactly happened? Hard to tell from the pic.

Sorry about your bow, but again, glad you're OK.

M29
September 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The string was frayed where it goes around one of the cams, I really didn't think it was that bad. I never messed with replacing a string before and thought I might be able to get by for one more season.
I have a bow press now and my neighbor helped me put a new string on and I can put the peep sight and kisser button on my self. Yeah I heard you could really get hurt bad. It might have put my eye out or something. It was pretty powerful.

Trailer Park Casanova
September 8th, 2009, 10:30 AM
It's against the law to even say the word gun in Cali.

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Holy Cow Barry that's too sad for words. Haven't seen a bow blow up but I have seen several dry fires at the shops. Scariest sound you'd ever hear. CRACK. Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Got back from an elk hunt and lets just say it was less than stellar. Didn't get to murder any this time around. :(

M29
September 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Oh man an Elk hunt...that would be sweet! I absolutely love it out West but I don't think my back would hold up in all that walking and lugging equipment. That is one thing my son and I have always wanted to do.
Did you do any bugling? Did you set over a water hole?

Did you happen to see one of the Primos elk hunting video's a couple years back where one of the guys is calling and he calls the elk right to the bow hunter? It was awesome the elk is steaming mad and charging right toward the hunter. His nose is running and he is slobbering and snorting and all of a sudden he is about 6 feet in front of the hunter and comes to a sliding stop, just in time to see the hunter and then dart back the other way. The hunter is standing there shaking in his boots, I think it might have been Will but that is the kind of hunt I would like out West as would many others I imagine. That would be thrilling.

M

Tone2TheBone
September 8th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Oh man an Elk hunt...that would be sweet! I absolutely love it out West but I don't think my back would hold up in all that walking and lugging equipment. That is one thing my son and I have always wanted to do.
Did you do any bugling? Did you set over a water hole?

Did you happen to see one of the Primos elk hunting video's a couple years back where one of the guys is calling and he calls the elk right to the bow hunter? It was awesome the elk is steaming mad and charging right toward the hunter. His nose is running and he is slobbering and snorting and all of a sudden he is about 6 feet in front of the hunter and comes to a sliding stop, just in time to see the hunter and then dart back the other way. The hunter is standing there shaking in his boots, I think it might have been Will but that is the kind of hunt I would like out West as would many others I imagine. That would be thrilling.

M

Didn't bugle. Should have though the morning we heard a young bull toward the north. Other than that the elk were pretty quiet as the rut hasn't even begun yet. They weren't herded up yet and the only sign we saw was sparce at best. We found 2 wallows/waterholes in one canyon that had sign and track all over the place. There were also 2 blinds set up already in those wallows but no one was using them. I guess they will be used this coming week when the 2nd phase hits the unit. 2 factors contributed to our unsuccessful hunt...the moon phase and afternoon thunderstorms. One hunter was killed by lightning the day before the hunt began. He and a partner were scouting around on their ATVs when a storm came through. Both stopped riding and parked under a tree (bad idea) and one of them was killed when a bolt hit the tree they were standing under. Needless to say we were pretty wary of storms and got off ridges as soon as the clouds came.

Kazz
September 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
ahhh Eastern Oregon Elk hunting trips.....several bottles of Vodka....10s of cases of beer....ah yeah the good ole days.

street music
September 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
WE have over 14,000 elk here in eastern Kentucky now. I'll gun hunt for whitetail this year but my bow hunting days are over since I enjoy my guitar more during the cold weather.

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
WE have over 14,000 elk here in eastern Kentucky now. I'll gun hunt for whitetail this year but my bow hunting days are over since I enjoy my guitar more during the cold weather.

How about selling me your Bowtech then? :D

street music
September 12th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Hey Tone, it's already gone man. I've been called several times since from others who wanted to buy it. I sold it and got that white Tele and then my Super Champ XD. I plan to stay out of the archery season, the pain in the shoulder is gone since I quit shooting, I can still get in gun season and since I don't get the huge desire I use to have at this time of year I just want to become at least a good guitar player and be able to sit and play with others.
Hunting is a tradition around here, I have harvested many nice deer and am very selective on what I shoot. Does for the best meat are easy to find, and I enjoy watching the smaller bucks grow up , so I can sit in the woods and relax whenever I want to go out. As Kodiak stated above we use to do a lot of competition , I have paid the price with damage to my shoulder. I still hope to some day go on a hunt up north or Texas.

Tone2TheBone
September 14th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Hey Tone, it's already gone man. I've been called several times since from others who wanted to buy it. I sold it and got that white Tele and then my Super Champ XD. I plan to stay out of the archery season, the pain in the shoulder is gone since I quit shooting, I can still get in gun season and since I don't get the huge desire I use to have at this time of year I just want to become at least a good guitar player and be able to sit and play with others.
Hunting is a tradition around here, I have harvested many nice deer and am very selective on what I shoot. Does for the best meat are easy to find, and I enjoy watching the smaller bucks grow up , so I can sit in the woods and relax whenever I want to go out. As Kodiak stated above we use to do a lot of competition , I have paid the price with damage to my shoulder. I still hope to some day go on a hunt up north or Texas.

Sorry to hear about your pain. I think you have a good plan and :beer: I know you'll do well with your playing.