PDA

View Full Version : Debut of new church side band... w/usual crappy pics!

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
The praise band leader from church writes his own material, so we formed a trio, called Pedagogy, to do his stuff separately. Not in services but at other church things and eventually even secular venues. We played at a welcome back BBQ for the college youth this Friday night and it went pretty well. In the trio I play bass, and the praise band leader sings and mostly plays keyboards but some guitar, plus the praise band drummer, a high school kid.

Prior to us going on was a girl who sang solo while playing acoustic guitar. She did OK but nothing special. Then there was a long break. We had a lot of PA problems as we were playing outside and the PA had to be carted out from the Fellowship Hall where it usually resides. Rather than tax the PA with running the bass through it, I brought 2 cabs. The big one, a 15", was pointed back towards the drummer so he could hear me. The little one, a 2x10 that had been modded from a Peavey PA cab (now w/Carvin bass speakers in), faced outward and towards me and the crowd. The keyboards ran through a little keyboard amp used as a stage monitor, and then into the PA. Not sure how the guitar was set up, but I'm guessing it was just played through a stage amp (a small Laney iirc).

Although the weather looked threatening at the start, it didn't rain. The set went pretty well, although the singer went up on his lyrics on one song and actually stopped it and restarted, which I would never do. By then it was dark, though I was the only one with cheats (a little light was brought out out so I could see them) anyhow.

Here are the only 4 pics, including probably the second-worst pic of me ever.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10524_127410566233_7149596233_2565745_6327874_n.jp g

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs258.snc1/10524_127410586233_7149596233_2565748_4210913_n.jp g

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10524_127410571233_7149596233_2565746_122339_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10524_127410576233_7149596233_2565747_1407400_n.jp g

The band that came after us was really really bad. Funny, but terrible. Made us look good though.

sunvalleylaw
September 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Cool! What does the music he writes sound like?

BTW, I have to agree. Not your best pic. You need to be on your knees or in the air or at least bent over from the weight of your amazing bass face. :D

Brian Krashpad
September 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Cool! What does the music he writes sound like?

Kind of like Ben Folds Five with a spiritual lyrical message.

If that makes any sense. Very very different than anything I've ever played.

Songs are here (as recorded by prior version of band):

http://www.myspace.com/PEDAGOGYMUSIC

M29
September 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Cool Krash!! Gotta love that SUNN amph. Hey are your shoes tied straight across or crisscross?

luvmyshiner
September 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Krash, Krash, Krash . . . gotta agree with SVL on this one. Where is your AWESOME guitar face dude????:poke:

Glad it went well and you enjoyed yourself brother.:beer:

Spudman
September 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Neato mosquito. It's always fun to see your projects.

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Cool Krash!! Gotta love that SUNN amph. Hey are your shoes tied straight across or crisscross?

That amph is a good'un. Pre-'69 Sunn 200S, same as Entwhistle used on the Who's first North American tour. 60W of all tube goodness. I use her for guitar as well, with different cabs. Bought from a netqaintance on another small forum for $300 USD shipped, so I reckon I paid ~ $250-$275 for the amph itself. It is a heavy beastie though.

I didn't even know you could string shoes straight across, would have no idea how to even do that. Mine crisscross. Is this some sort of social code thing I'm unaware of? Like skinheads' braces and laces?

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Krash, Krash, Krash . . . gotta agree with SVL on this one. Where is your AWESOME guitar face dude????:poke:

Glad it went well and you enjoyed yourself brother.:beer:

Haha, well, in the second pic I am making a "People say I'm ugly when I play bass" (extremely obscure reference to an early skit by Christopher Guest) face at least.

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
LOL!!! Cheers Mate! I am envious of all the fun you have playing and it is always great and inspirational to see pics of your exploits! :AOK: :AOK: :beer: :D

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM
LOL!!! Cheers Mate! I am envious of all the fun you have playing and it is always great and inspirational to see pics of your exploits! :AOK: :AOK: :beer: :D

Thanks, I'm truly blessed to have so many outlets to play live. In fact my Crash Pad guitarist called yesterday to bug me about setting up a practice for this weekend, haha. The trick of it for me is not to be overly concerned about skill level and prior experience and all of that. Obviously, I'm not going to do something so far over my head that it makes whatever group I'm working with sound crappy-- in fact, for this debut of Pedagogy the singer sprung a Ben Folds Five cover on us at the very last practice before the show, and I nixed doing it because I would've messed it up. It had a very specific bass line that the whole song was built on, I'd never heard the song before, and it was in a dreadful key (Eb, iirc). It wasn't beyond my eventual technical abilities, but no way could I learn it in one practice and do it justice.

That said, this whole type music is totally outside my prior experience--- in some cases the basslines are necessarily much more "active," in that the songs are way more chordally complex than any I've worked with before, including almost all of the contemporary church music I've played. Time signature-wise and tempo-wise this is a lot more challenging too, there are all sorts of odd rests and tempo changes and such, although fortunately that is much more of a "feel" thing for me, but I do have to pay more attention.

M29
September 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Not sure when the black tennis shoe cross lacing started but early rockers used to do it. It is kind of neat to see someone lace them like that every now and then.:D

Back in the early 70's our guitarist had a SUNN 1000S. I look back and I remember him playing on 8 and 9 in our basement. It is a wonder I can still hear. It was an awesome sound though. I have always loved SUNN amphs, hope to find one some day.

You all sound great, nice recording and vocals too!! God Bless:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
September 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Not sure when the black tennis shoe cross lacing started but early rockers used to do it. It is kind of neat to see someone lace them like that every now and then.:D

Back in the early 70's our guitarist had a SUNN 1000S. I look back and I remember him playing on 8 and 9 in our basement. It is a wonder I can still hear. It was an awesome sound though. I have always loved SUNN amphs, hope to find one some day.

You all sound great, nice recording and vocals too!! God Bless:AOK:

Thanks, the recording is the singer/keyboardist with a preceding rhythm section. He had lived up in Wisconsin while going to school and is down here now. So, the songs are our current material, with a slightly different sound. He's a good writer/singer.

Man, if you were in a basement with a 1000S on 8 or 9, I'm surprised you still have your head on, much less any hearing!

:D