PDA

View Full Version : Tubes question

vroomery
September 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I'm in the market for some new tubes for my fender deluxe. I've read up and found some suggestions, but everything people suggest seems a bit pricey. I know that you get what you pay for a lot of the time, but there has to be a solution that sounds good and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm looking to replace both 6l6's and all 3 12ax7's.

oldguy
September 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM
My suggestion would be Eurotubes. I've had good luck with them, and the service is fast and friendly.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=7&sub_category_id=32

deeaa
September 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I really don't know what's the situation where you live, but at least here the basic options that aren't really pricey are for instance JJ tubes and Electro-Harmonix plus Sovtek.

Preamp: I don't really think/find there are huge differences in tubes used, as long as they are the right variety, *except* for the 1st input tube amp. You'll want to use the best available tube for that...crap tube there spells buzziness and an evil kind of cold fizz in overdrive.

I've been really happy using Sovtek Mil-spec 'everlasting' tubes for preamp tubes everywhere but the first slot, where I try to get a real good tube - currently a 60's Telefunken...anything _but_ a hi-gain tube or a cheapo tube. I hear them Tung-Sol Mullard copies are good; the first series had quality issues but they should be more stable now.

JJ 12ax7 'S' tubes are kinda nice&warm, and cheap here.

Power tubes may have more of an effect overall...but any matched pair seems to work just fine. Mine are mostly TAD, JJ or Electro-Harmonix. I have a bunch of Sovteks as well, also mil-spec but they do sound a bit cold IMO.

Far more important than tube type is right biasing, however.

So my recipe is get as good a 1st preamp tube as you can and just nice sturdy tubes for the rest.

I have maybe 40-50 pre-and power tubes I've tested every which way to arrive to this conclusion. No doubt you _can_ detect differences with better tubes in most any position, but IMO it's such a small difference it's not really worth the hassle. Can't always be using matched pairs of same age anyway...chances are, you get some superb vintage etc. tubes and blow one the first gig, and after that you have a mismatched set anyway.

So go for reliable tubes, but NEVER underestimate the importance of the 1st tube the signal sees in the amp.

Just my 2c.

deeaa
September 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM
ps. that Eurotubes site looks OK, they seem to peddle JJ's as well which is a nice enough tube...but the descriptions are rather funny IMO...as if gold plating in tube pins would make anything to the sound, LOL...gold plating is necessary if you have gold plated sockets, not otherwise...it only offers corrosion protection...won't affect the sound ANY....in fact, since inferior metals corrode faster, if you use goldplated tubes, it's the amp sockets that will corrode...I'd like it the other way round...and you can bet changing a reverb driver socket ECC83S (12ax7) to a non-S and loop driver tube the other way will NOT change your sound from 'Eric Johnson' warmth to SRV power or whatever...

Radioboy950
September 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
ps. that Eurotubes site looks OK, they seem to peddle JJ's

I believe JJ stuff is the only brand he sells. If you like JJ tubes, Bob is a good source. I've ordered before. Happy with the tubes and the service, for what it's worth. Ask him for a recommendation. No obligation.

kiteman
September 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I retubed two of my amps with Mullard Reissues and I like 'em. I don't have much experiences with other tubes so I can't make any comparisons. I'm just glad they sound good.

Plank_Spanker
September 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM
From what I've researched, there are only a few tube manufacturers turning out the brands we see. Some of the tubes are the same line / same plant, but with different brands.

xStonr
September 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Go to DougsTubes.com (http://www.dougstubes.com/index.html) Tell him your amp and the tone you're looking for and you'll get a great set of tubes as a more than reasonable price.

vroomery
September 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I just checked out that doug's tubes site. It looks pretty cool to me. I filled out the form so we'll see what they suggest for me. The prices they have are really good too. Hopefully that will work out. Thanks for all the help guys!

vroomery
March 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
Super late update! (yes i just rhymed)

A ways back send Doug at dougs tubes that tube suggestion form. I told him what amp I have, what style of music I play, and what I want from my new tubes. Well I finally got the money to get it together.

He suggested:

2 JJ's 6l6 GC
V1 Tung Sol
V2 Penta Labs
V3 Sovtek

It came to just under 100 bucks total and mannnnn did it make a difference. First I just changed the power tubes to see what made the most difference. That was definitely it. So much sweeter than the GT's that were in there. Then I put in the preamp tubes and it just got better. I feel like I have a brand new amp. I definitely suggest Doug's Tubes to anyone looking to re-tube.

MAXIFUNK
March 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Super late update! (yes i just rhymed)

A ways back send Doug at dougs tubes that tube suggestion form. I told him what amp I have, what style of music I play, and what I want from my new tubes. Well I finally got the money to get it together.

He suggested:

2 JJ's 6l6 GC
V1 Tung Sol
V2 Penta Labs
V3 Sovtek

It came to just under 100 bucks total and mannnnn did it make a difference. First I just changed the power tubes to see what made the most difference. That was definitely it. So much sweeter than the GT's that were in there. Then I put in the preamp tubes and it just got better. I feel like I have a brand new amp. I definitely suggest Doug's Tubes to anyone looking to re-tube.

Great good to know! Did you have to adjust the bais up or down or at all?