PDA

View Full Version : Close your eyes when playing

Robert
September 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Here is a playing tip I learned from the Joe Diorio DVD I just bought. Close your eyes, and play whatever comes to mind. Don't worry about scales and notes - just play freely and let that right side of your brain free.

I do this regularly myself, and for me it's a must. I sometimes (who doesn't) get bored of structured practicing, and by closing your eyes, you can tune into the creative part of you, and let it free.

Try it. :)

SuperSwede
September 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Here is a playing tip I learned from the Joe Diorio DVD I just bought. Close your eyes, and play whatever comes to mind. Don't worry about scales and notes - just play freely and let that right side of your brain free.

I do this regularly myself, and for me it's a must. I sometimes (who doesn't) get bored of structured practicing, and by closing your eyes, you can tune into the creative part of you, and let it free.

Good tip! Or you could do what I did last week, keep looking at that Christina Aguilera poster that I stole from my daughters magazine (and the wife tore down 3-4 hours later).. but MAN what a nice practice session :D

R_of_G
September 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
excellent tip robert

i often try to practice in the dark so even if my eyes are open, i can't see the fretboard

i find it's helping me develop my ear a lot more having to trust the sound rather than my eyes.

kiteman
September 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I close my eyes so I don't see the mistakes I'm making. :D

Seriously, I only look at my fretboard to see where I'm going while making changes. I don't need to watch my fretboard.

deeaa
September 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I think I keep my eyes closed something like 90% of the time when I play with the band..or just stare out into the void. The rest of the time I just watch the other players or something, but I don't think I usually much look down on what I'm playing.

sunvalleylaw
September 10th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I had done that at Spud's suggestion while playing with a backer, to focus on how I was playing the notes. Closing my eyes or having the lights off made it easier to focus on the attack, vibrato, etc.

I had not tried it playing chords, as I did not think I could make the changes. I tried it last night with a song with a ton of changes, but all open chords in first position. It worked fine, and was a good way to listen to how cleanly I was making those changes, etc.

Robert
September 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I'm also suggestion "close your eyes to thinking". Don't think of a G chord or anything like that, just play notes out of the blue and see what happens. You can create music by completely turning off the left "logical" part of the brain. It is good to free the mind sometimes. :)

birv2
September 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
This is how I practiced for the GC King of the Blues contest. I think it really helped. It's so easy to overthink everything, especially if, like me, you're just learning some of this stuff.

Good idea!

kiteman
September 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I'm also suggestion "close your eyes to thinking". Don't think of a G chord or anything like that, just play notes out of the blue and see what happens. You can create music by completely turning off the left "logical" part of the brain. It is good to free the mind sometimes. :)

That's akin to going into "the zone." Your right brain becomes dominant. :dude:

FusedGrooves
September 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Good tip this one.... :bravo:

I grew up on a farm and we didn't have power for over 10 years (we had a generator for power for a few hours each night) so I'd often find myself playing in complete darkness....

Being self taught meant I spent alot of time doing really really basic stuff on the learners acoustic I'd been given which really helped my ear and playing in the dark helped my finger memory to no end

These days I'm like most ppl who've replied above, I rarely need or want to look at the fret board. Since I can't make great guitar face the next best thing is playing with my eyes closed! LMAO

jpfeifer
September 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Yes,

This is a great piece of advice. I was doing this kind of practice to get ready for the King of the Blues competition. By closing your eyes it forces you to listen to yourself and react to it, otherwise your eyes are telling you where to go next on the guitar, instead of your ears.

Great advice!! Now I know why Santana does this, it helps him get into the zone :-)

-- Jim

justguitartalk
September 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Hi Robert,

Structured practise is boring. i recently wrote an article on practising in a musical way rather than just practising. It would be good to hear what you think, the article can be found here http://justguitartalk.com/2009/09/13/practise-modal-chord-progressions/ I look forward to hearing any comments you may have.

Steve
www.justguitartalk.com

Robert
September 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Steve, I think your posts are starting to look like SPAM.

Monkus
September 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
excellent !!! (thread I mean)

SuperSwede
September 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM

+1

hubberjub
September 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I got to play with a jazz pianist about 10 years ago named Kenny Werner. He's actually got a book out called Effortless Mastery which deals with trying to get in "the zone". His methods sound similar to Joe Diorio's. I would recomend looking into Kenny's book as well Robert.

ted s
September 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Serious ? why ? Looks like valuable info. to me.