PDA

View Full Version : Slim necks?

Pickngrin
September 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I see that there is a recent thread on neck profiles, but I have a question specifically about slim vs. wide (or normal) necks. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new Agile Les Paul-type guitar and I've seen a few second-hand ones with the slim neck. I don't know what it feels like to play one. I currently play a 50s MIJ Strat reissue and a Korean import Hamer SATF. I suppose that I should go to a guitar shop and try playing a slim neck. But is it generally a big difference in terms of feel? Or should I be patient and find one with a normal neck?

Trailer Park Casanova
September 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
My daughter plays a slim neck because of her tiny hands.

( BTW: The body on her mods I'm told has a "Boob slot" for chix too.)

Ya gotta play it and see how you like it.
Only you can make the call IMHO.

Enjoy it, it's a great instrument.

deeaa
September 10th, 2009, 03:47 AM
With big hands/fingers they can be difficult.

Otherwise, in comparison to normal - easier to chord on perhaps, lighter feel when playing riffs (less finger movement) and on con side harder to play bends/tapping etc.

I've played a 1973 The Paul with a slim neck and it was very nice, but in general I hate both very slim and very wide and flat necks. Normal ones are the best.

eyeplayguitar
September 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I have midget hands also, and I'm in search of a slim neck guitar. I really had my sights set on the PRS Custom, but it's way too wide.

Pickngrin
September 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I popped into Guitar Center today to get a feel for slim necks. First I tried an Ibanez, then eventually a salesguy came and helped me. I tried a Les Paul with a 60s slim neck and it felt fine, though I didn't spend much time on it. I've been scouting for an Agile 3100 in honey sunburst and finally found one, but it's got the slim neck. Hmmm.

brazenlane
September 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It's all about comfort and you should go with what feels good to you.

Big K
September 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM
go for it the slim neck Agiles are fine....

Pickngrin
September 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
OK, I pulled the trigger today on a beautiful Honey sunburst AL-3100 I had been watching on ebay. I'll see how the slim neck suits me (I did try a few slimmer-necked guitars the other day at Guitar Center). Can't wait to receive this Agile!