PDA

View Full Version : Gear Of Yesteryear #2

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
The 60's were a wild and wooly time , those of that generation saw crazy trends , Beatlemania, a man on the moon , mini skirts, and the most visually distinctive of all amplifiers, those wild colored, naughyde covered Kustom amps.
The first examples were built by Bud Ross in his garage located in Chanute Kansas sometime in 65. full on retail began in 66 and popularity grew throughout the 60's and up to the mid 70's.Closely associated with John Fogerty and Credence Clearwater Revival , those solid state tuck and roll amps made a unforgetable visual statement and some put the Kustom 250 among the best sounding solid state amps of all time. The K250-4 is the best feature wise. It has reverb, with its own tone control, built in Wah Wah, when using the boost pedal, Tremolo, Vibrato, Fuzz and a special Select Tone feature called "Selective Boost.

anyone out there with any Kustom amp stories to tell .... 6S9L

Spudman
August 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
My first real guitar amp was a Kustom IIIL. 130 watt top with a 4x12 partially open back cabinet. It didn't have the upholstery finish just the regular tolex. I was afraid the padded cover would be sticky and smell like the seats on my friends old Pontiac.

I could get that amp to feed back so well with my Fender Fuzz Wah pedal. While it was feeding I would play with the amps tremolo and reverb to get some great space sounds. I drove my parents nuts. That amp never failed on me. It was well built.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM
It didn't have the upholstery finish just the regular tolex. I was afraid the padded cover would be sticky and smell like the seats on my friends old Pontiac.

Spud THAT IS PRICELESS.....I do remember those tolex covered Kustoms ..they showed up on stage with lots of gigging musicians , and they didnt smell....6S9L