PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Center King of the Blues - report

jpfeifer
September 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I participated in the Guitar Center King of the Blues competition this year again (it's my 2nd time in this event). I was selected from the first round a few weeks ago to compete in the store finals last night.

Unfortunately, I didn't win but I gave it my best shot. There were 6 players competing and all of them were good blues players. I did get a lot of complements on my playing, so I felt good about that, but I think that I could have played better.

Each time I do this competition I learn a lot in the process. The thing that I learn over and over again is that timing/phrasing is the key element, not necessarily flashy playing.

I've been practicing at least 1-2 hours per day, every day, for the last 3 months since I entered the contest. Although this was great for my chops, I developed some tendonitus since I also use the computer all day for my job. As a result I've had to ice down my arms/wrists every day, take Ibuprophen, etc. This was a little tough to deal with last night since I was first up (the hands were a little stiff).

The guy that won was a young guy (highschool age) who had only been playing for about 5 years. He had a really nice feel, played in the pocket, and kept it fairly straight forward. (Lesson learned, ... you don't have to wow them with lots of advanced licks, just play a good clean solo with nice feel)

I will probably enter again next year. It's a little discouraging to loose out (especially to someone who has only been playing for 5 years), however this kid was good! I know that I can do better the next time. I also have a better idea of what the judges are looking for, (and ways to avoid tendonitus :-), and areas to focus on improving my own style.

-- Jim

birv2
September 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Congrats on doing the work. I'm sure it will pay off in your playing. Which is what you want anyway, right? Though it would be nice to get some of those fabulous prizes...:)

Now take a break so you don't get carpal tunnel!

Seriously, I did mine for the first time last week. I didn't win, but I got nice comments and really built some self-confidence. I agree about playing a good clean solo with nice feel. Even if it doesn't "win", that's what I'm shooting for anyway.

Way to go!

M29
September 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM
All the best Jim! I wish I had the talent and guts to do that. Congratulations for entering and giving it a go.:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Nice report Jim. I really love your playing, and I am sure it sounded great. Your thoughts/notes on what is more important are very interesting too. It helps me, as a relatively new player myself, know what to focus on, and lets me let go of feeling that I have to learn to be really fast and fancy right away. Thanks again for the report, and I hope you enjoyed it.

jpfeifer
September 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys! It was definitely worth doing. It's a kick in the pants for the playing, and the experience is great. I'll be looking forward to it next year. -- Jim

sumitomo
September 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Is there a place we can hear what you guys played? Anyway you guys did good.Sumi:D

marnold
September 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Maybe if I weren't such a coward (and if the closest GC weren't an hour away) I'd try it next year. I wonder how everyone would react to black sharkies and a pointy headstock :)

sumitomo
September 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Marnold It would be great to see a pic of you going into GC in robe,collar ect.and announce THE REV IS HERE TO ROCK YOUR WORLD! with your pedal of course.Sumi:D

bigG
September 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Good report and glad to hear you did well and got the fire, jp! Man, that's gonna move you along so far and so quickly in your playing! Very good stuff! :bravo:

Trailer Park Casanova
September 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
My hats of to ya brother.
Great effort, excellent report and thread.

M29
September 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Rev is the rocker that rolled the blues away:rockon:

peachhead
September 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
My hats of to ya brother.
Great effort, excellent report and thread.

My hat's off to both of ya. Maybe next year you can get somebody to record it!

Trailer Park Casanova
September 13th, 2009, 07:34 AM
" A guitar can't play the blues right unless it spent some time in a Pawn Shop"
-BB King