PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom Gx

guitartango
September 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Looks like a really good guitar, anyone played one ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJoFEC1T-7g

msteeln
September 13th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Saw the LP and SG yesterday at a local shop. Caught my eye real well, but I was in vintage jazz box mode so maybe I'll head back over after seeing this and another ytube vid.

MIDIMan56
September 14th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I own both the Les Paul and SG Prophecy GX guitars and i am very happy with them! They both have all of the appointments you'd expect on a custom series guitar: full binding on necks and headstock and on both and front and rear body edge on the LP, gold hardware and beautifully flamed tops.

The Dirty Fingers pups are marvelous ... they crunch up wonderfully, but can also produce a terrific clean sound. The never muddy up! No matter how much distortion you pile on, every note in a chord rings out. The necks are amazing ... slim, fast and ebony.

Admittedly, they are a little "blingy" and might be a bit much for more traditional players, but they are fantastic instruments and I can't recommend them highly enough. Here's a picture of the pair:

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/midiman56/ProphecyTwins.jpg

Hope this helps!

Jim

msteeln
September 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
they are a little "blingy"This is what a good working guitar should look like.
The old school head stock shape contrasts with the theme of the body, and a modified headstock to accentuate the looks would have been better. But, headstock mass is always a possitive, and the more ornate shape denotes it is from the top of the line. From what I've been reading and hearing, these probably are, and your succinct post w/awesome pic clinches it.

Questions - How does the LP fare in the tradition jazz stylings?
A Les Paul can / should handle this in spades, that's what it was originally made for. And if it can do jazz, it can do country and rock-a-billy.
A guitar that covers all that territory and is an ebony necked Les Paul, w/killer looks/sound/playability, make's for a classic.

Is the bridge/TP a TonePro?

I suspect this guitar could be immediately improved with a quick bridge mode to this www.comptonbridges.com

Tig
September 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I own both the Les Paul and SG Prophecy GX guitars and i am very happy with them!

The Dirty Fingers pups are marvelous ... they crunch up wonderfully, but can also produce a terrific clean sound. The never muddy up! No matter how much distortion you pile on, every note in a chord rings out.

Jim

Wow, looks like Santa was kind to you! I think I need to let him know I'd like a Les Paul Prophecy. I've been eyeing them for a year now.

Thx for the review. I was under the impression that the Dirty Fingers pup's were too hot.

guitartango
September 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Gibson Les paul studio (secondhand) or brand new Customer GX......what would use choose.

MIDIMan56
September 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I was under the impression that the Dirty Fingers pup's were too hot.

They are hot pups, Tig ... but they are in no way EMG-type pups. I'd say that they are a good 20% louder than your average humbucker ... you'll really notice this when you switch guitars. They break-up beautifully with just a little gain and snap when you pick with a little extra pressure ... but they do not have that harsh, metalic sound. The tone is warm and thick with just the right amount of dirt in them.

To answer msteeln, both guitars are bone stock ... haven't touched a thing. The LP is completely capable of producing jazz tones ... actually my preferred sound for a Les Paul guitar. They can growl if provoked ... but they also purr wonderfully!

By "blingy" I was actually talking about the lightning bolt fret markers and all the gold. I personally love the custom look and think the Prophecy's are beautiful ... they are a bit non-traditional though.

Jim