PDA

View Full Version : Used Crafter v Used Taylor...?

bigG
September 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have a chance at buying one of these two at a nice price.

The Crafter (based in Korea, made in Korea) is not really used, it's old backroom stock at a local shop. Originally listed at $1060, streeted for $799, now offered for $499! Sounds nice, plays nice. All solid wood: Englemann spruce top, mahog back n sides, mahog neck, maple body binding, rosewood fretboard and bridge, bone nut n saddle, very beautiful, original rosette of flying doves, which is repeated at the 12th fret and on the headstock, hi-end Grover tuners w pearl buttons. No warranty, no case.

The Taylor is a 310 dreadnought (no longer made), ebony fretboard n bridge, Sitka spruce top, sapele back n sides (all solid wood), mahog neck, tusq nut n saddle, Grover tuners...this was the entry level all solid wood Taylor up until a few years ago. Slightly wider nut than standard 1-11/16" (1.75", which I like) and the neck and action are super fast and the lowest I've ever seen on an acoustic (the famous Taylor neck). When available, listed for $1250, streeted for abt $899 (w case), used for $799 (w case - a bit beat up). There's a bit of buckle rash on the upper third of the back, and a few barely noticeable dings on the soundboard, none of which broke the satin finish thru to the wood.

I'm now on an acoustic buying jag, dont'cha know (since I recently bought the Martin 00X1 - marvelous instrument!). I would like to own the Taylor, but the Crafter is SUCH a deal, and almost as nice, and in "as new" condition. Of course, re-sale value comes into play, also... The easy way out would be to buy both, but my discretionary coin is slim right now, and I don't wanna sell or trade any more of my guitars.

If anyone has any input as to a preference, or experience w either, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

G

wingsdad
September 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Crafters are nice, well-made Korean guitars. I had one about 5 years or so ago when my dealer here carried them briefly, and I'm pretty sure I know the model you're describing. They're an excellent value.

As much as I personally don't care for Taylors because their tops are thin and they don't fare well in dry climate,susceptible to cracking, if you're concerned about resale value down the road, even a lower-end model like the 310 will hold up its value. The Crafter will be worth about $350 as soon as you walk out the door with it.

markb
September 12th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Buy on sound. Assume the Taylor is played in, they play in fast.

evenkeel
September 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
The new Crafter should improve with age, but lessen in value as has been noted. Certainly a good price. If you like the sound now, it should just get better.

That's a very good price for the 310, assuming no issues. I have never really warmed up to taylors. They sound a bit thin and airy to me. Lots of midrange and top end but not much of a bass so it lacks a foundation. This is so subjective however. I've heard a ton of them played by others and they sound good. The acoustic/electrics in particular sound very good amped up. The Taylors just don't grab me.

But all that means nothing really. If you like the sound, I'd tend to go with the Taylor. Better investment and all that.

wingsdad
September 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Taylors play in fast and can sound thin because of those thinner-than-most tops, that will crack if not correctly maintained (humidified).

OTH, it's their lack of deep bottom that allows them to be worked well as acoustic/electrics and stand out in a mix without much fuss, and thus, one of the reasons why they rose to popularity as recording and/or stage guitars.

Perception is reality.

bigG
September 13th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the input, fellow fretters! :D

Since I started this thread, I'm considering going a different route. I won't go into the details of how I'll pull it off financially, but I think I'm gonna go w a new Martin SWDGT (the Sustainable Wood Series). The same shop has two of them, and they are SWEET solid wood Martins w a beautifully understated look to 'em. Cherry back n sides, spruce top...we'll see. But I think that could be my "acoustic for life" guitar!

The next week or two should reveal what road I take.

And, btw, input and feedback on the Martin SWDGT is certainly welcome, also! :)

Thanks again!
G

hubberjub
September 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
As the owner of a Taylor 310ce I would reccomend it over the Crafter but I think there are better guitars for the money. I got mine almost brand new for $550. I use it as my beater festival guitar and have never had any problem with the top. Bob Taylor designs do incorporate a thinner top than most Martins do but it's not so thin that it causes problems. I've done everything to this guitar that you aren't supposed to do. It's been left in a car on a hot day and on days below freezing. I also left it out in a rain storm last summer. I am not familiar with the SWDGT but Martin does offer several solid wood models for under $1000. Play a lot of guitars and buy on sound and feel not price or brand name.

evenkeel
September 14th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the input, fellow fretters! :D

Since I started this thread, I'm considering going a different route. I won't go into the details of how I'll pull it off financially, but I think I'm gonna go w a new Martin SWDGT (the Sustainable Wood Series). The same shop has two of them, and they are SWEET solid wood Martins w a beautifully understated look to 'em. Cherry back n sides, spruce top...we'll see. But I think that could be my "acoustic for life" guitar!
The next week or two should reveal what road I take.
And, btw, input and feedback on the Martin SWDGT is certainly welcome, also! :)
Thanks again!
G

Let me start this by saying I'm a big fan of Martin guitars. But, the SWDGT just does not do it for me. I've played a few and they were all rather dissapointing. Just did not have that Martin rumble I expect. Not as bright and way less low end presence. But, if the ones you have played you like then go for it. They are very handsome, beautifully built guitars. Very possible the ones I played were duds. It does happen.

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I agree play a bunch. Our local shop here in Ketchum that unfortunately closed last year was a Martin dealer and had many in and out of the store. That, and Harvest era NY recordings is where I developed my very distinct preference for what I want in an acoustic for life. I tried a Martin Smartwood at the urging of my instructor, a very advanced player who owns several nice Martins, but it was not for me. My instructor, btw, is a D-18 sound guy, and I am definitely in the D-45, D-28 camp. I am still looking for that D-28 sound in a Martin around a grand, and I think the GC customs in satin finish might come pretty close. For some reason, the D-16RGT does not give it to me, though it is a nice, solid, american made Martin.

So, the point is, play them and see what you like. You might love that smartwood sound even if I don't. My instructor did, and he is no slouch.

mrmudcat
September 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Iam a martin man ,but the taylor will hold its value.:beer:

evenkeel
September 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I am still looking for that D-28 sound in a Martin around a grand, and I think the GC customs in satin finish might come pretty close. For some reason, the D-16RGT does not give it to me, though it is a nice, solid, american made Martin.

SVL. If you get a chance give the Martin D2R a go. I have one and it's very, very close to that classic D28 tone. In some ways I like it better, as it's slightly more mellow. The D28 can be a bit brittle. The D2R is a solid top, rosewood lam back and sides which is a turn off for the purists. But, you can pick them up for $600-$800.

bigG
September 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Once again, thanks for all your input. Much appreciated! :beer:

Alot has transpired in my world in the last 12 hours. W/o unnecessary details, I'll cut to the chase. I purchased the used Taylor 310 (made in 2000) for $799, incl HSC, strung w new Elixir Medium NanoWeb strings (comes from Taylor fitted w these new), and 3 free String Swing wall hangers (from my friend and guitar tech and shop manager Chris, just 'cause he appreciates all the business I've done w him over the last 3 years...good guy!). I really warmed up to the sound and look of the 310, and the 1.75" nut width, low action, and ebony fretboard and bridge just clinched it.

From what I've figured out, the 310's replacement is the newer Taylor DN3. Same exact git, near as I can tell. Here's the zZounds page on the DN3 if you care to see it. The description is exactly the same as the 310 in every way:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYDN3

AND, here's the HC page on the 310 that I bought (nice, high ratings!), if you care to check that out:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Taylor+Guitars/310/10/1

I'm a very happy G, and once again, thanks for your help. I think I made the right decision! :D

G

evenkeel
September 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Way cool!! Congrats on the new Taylor. Sounds like you made a terrific decision. :beer: :bravo: :beer: :bravo:

Almost forgot, how about a few pics!!!!

hubberjub
September 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Good for you. I like my 310. It's a well built guitar that sounds good.

bigG
September 15th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks, guys. I am loving it! So many wonderful guitars, so little time! What a nice problem to have, eh!? :D

evenkeel: re the pics - I don't have any digital camera or video gear, and have no interest in it. As I mentioned in one of my first posts when I joined thefret.net, I'd much rather spend my money on guitars and gear (and home theater/audio). BUT, if I run across a friend or acquaintance who has either, and will take the time to flash some or all of my gear, I'll definitely do it.

Then, however, comes my relative computer ignorance, and "uploading" pics or vids is something I have absolutely NO idea how to do. And, from what I've read on here abt how to do it, it makes my head swim! :thwap:

But, if the opportunity presents itself, I will definitely give it a try! :)

G