PDA

View Full Version : Wilkinson Pickups - Are they any good?

Suhnton
September 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Has anybody installed/used/tried these pickups? In particular, the humbuckers. The set I'm looking at are 7.4Kohm (neck) and 13.8Kohm (bridge) with metal covers (Gibson LP style). I did a google for reviews but didn't have much luck.
I'm essentially looking for pickups that have a bit of punch and clarity but aren't too hot (i.e metal-sounding). Cheers.

thekiwidisciple
September 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't bother. I had a set of Telecaster pups way back when and they were ridiculously underwound. They sounded horrific. Check out Tonerider!

Suhnton
September 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't bother. I had a set of Telecaster pups way back when and they were ridiculously underwound. They sounded horrific. Check out Tonerider!

Cheers, will do.

syo
September 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hey Suhnton...
I can't speak for the Wilkinson tele pups but those Humbuckers aren't bad at all for the money. I am interested in trying the Toneriders out myself. I believe they're both made a stone's throw from each other in South China.

I think I have an extra set of the Wilkinsons here if you want to try them out. You're still in Japan right?

hubberjub
September 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Keystone Pickups. Handwound by Bill and Becky Lawrence for ~$60.

Suhnton
September 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hey Suhnton...
I can't speak for the Wilkinson tele pups but those Humbuckers aren't bad at all for the money. I am interested in trying the Toneriders out myself. I believe they're both made a stone's throw from each other in South China.

I think I have an extra set of the Wilkinsons here if you want to try them out. You're still in Japan right?

Hi Syo,

Yes I'm still in Japan. I'd be quite keen to see how they sound. I'm intending to install new pickups in an SG. How much are you wanting for them?

ZMAN
September 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I have a set of Wilkinson P90s in a Gibson knock off by Vintage guitars, by JHS in Britain. They are made in the east with Wilkinson hardware and pickups. They are quite nice and I seriously thinking about getting a set of their mini hummbuckers.

Suhnton
September 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have a set of Wilkinson P90s in a Gibson knock off by Vintage guitars, by JHS in Britain. They are made in the east with Wilkinson hardware and pickups. They are quite nice and I seriously thinking about getting a set of their mini hummbuckers.

From the videos on the JHS website, the "P90 LP" sounds quite nice, a lot brighter than a standard HB LP. What are you intending to install the minis in?