PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of this Forum and fellow fretters

bigG
September 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I just wanted to take a few minutes to say how glad I am that I found thefret.net. I don't belong to, nor read, any other forums, but I know, from life experience, what a special forum and gathering place for friends with like-minded interests this place is.

Most everyone here seems so nice and friendly, and to truly care about motivating and helping each other along the way (and not just with gear, but in life). The moderators are sensible and not overly abusive of their power(s).

One of the things I like most, though, is that most everyone on here seems to understand the concept of SUBJECTIVITY. Every post made is one individual's subjective opinion, and is respected for what it is. There's no: "How can you not like The Beatles, you're stupid"...or: "You're a jerk because you don't think Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist ever"...or: "How can you buy a Gibson when Fenders are the best"...and on and on, ad nauseam. There are SO many arguments, misunderstandings and hurt feelings when the construct of "subjective opinion" is not understood, or appreciated.

Robert, and many of you long-timers, have developed an excellent, friendly place for all matters guitar and bass, to paraphrase. ;)

So, in closing, I applaud all of my fellow fretters and friends for what is accomplished here every day. Much love, caring and sharing is demonstrated day in and day out. I don't think I'm alone in saying that each time I log in, I know it will be enjoyable and informative, and, often times, spark an epiphany or two; a kind of inner sanctum - a respite from the daily grind of the outside world.

Much thanks and props to Robert, and all fellow fretters! :beer:

G

Robert
September 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks G, but the credit goes to all our great members. I'm just sitting here in the back. Thank you everyone for making this place so great!

Kodiak3D
September 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
You do bring up a good point about subjectivity. There's a mutal respect here for others' opinions that many forums don't have.

Monkus
September 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM
More amazing when you think of the age group spread...It really is a breath of fresh air in here. Thanks to all...

Spudman
September 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
It really starts from the top down. Quality brings in quality. I think early on we decided we'd rather have quality over quantity. If you want to get belittled and demeaned there are already forums for that. We wanted a place that you felt like you got a big warm hug and wet sloppy kisses every time you logged on. How did we do? :D

Thanks for the compliments though.:) Give yourselves a pat on the back for being the reason thefret is what it is.

hubberjub
September 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
We wanted a place that you felt like you got a big warm hug and wet sloppy kisses every time you logged on. How did we do? :D

Thankfully there are enough lawyers on this board to help with restraining orders should the moderators get too friendly.

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
What a stupid post! You must be a moron to believe this crap! Just like the other jerks here! :reallymad: :saw:

Oh, wait a minute--I thought I was on Dis-Harmony Central there for a minute. I'm OK now.... ;) :D

P.S. Nice post, bigG--points well taken. It's a great bunch of folks here.

Spudman
September 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
What a stupid post! You must be a moron to believe this crap! Just like the other jerks here! :reallymad: :saw:

Hey! You are the one that has to compensate for your inadequacies by having 3 P90 pickups in your guitar.

(warm hug is in the mail)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

SuperSwede
September 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hey! You are the one that has to compensate for your inadequacies by having 3 P90 pickups in your guitar.

P90´s ?? no one uses them anymore they are too noisy.

:p

Kodiak3D
September 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
P90´s ?? no one uses them anymore they are too noisy.

:p

That, and they look like ugly bars of soap too. :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks BigG, and thanks everyone for doing your part to make this the kind of place I like to hang out!

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, and believe me--I have inadequacies you can't even imagine! Three P-90's are....well, inadequate! I'm gonna get me one of these:

http://www.nettally.com/saints/Tufnel_Guitar.jpg

Tig
September 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Well said, BigG. That's why I joined and hang out here and not at the other guitar forums I've visited. This place is made of people... wonderful people, and everyone has been so supportive and respectful. This is quite rare in the online world.

//The only place that comes close is one of the RoadBikeReview forums, The Lounge (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57) (affectionately called "Teh Lownje" by the many "Lownjers" there). That place is very busy with plenty of joking and the genuine support of friends.

Tig
September 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
That, and they look like ugly bars of soap too. :rotflmao:

Bah! Ignore their P-90 Envy!
:tongue:

kiteman
September 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks G, but I'm just sitting here in the back.

and I got shotgun. nya nya. :rotflmao:

Yea, this is a terrific place to be. I'm members in other forums and browse forums I rather not sign up for (they're such nasty places) but this is my fav.

People are just swell here and mature (well, most of the time). :D

M29
September 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
The Fret is a very comfortable place to learn and hang out. Thanks all! :bravo:

FrankenFretter
September 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, I agree that this is an excellent place where all feel welcome. I'm relatively new here, but you've all made me feel comfy and warm. It is nice to have people that LISTEN, and, as you put it G, speak objectively. It's a great place, which is why I'm here as often as I can be.

-Sean

sumitomo
September 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, and believe me--I have inadequacies you can't even imagine! Three P-90's are....well, inadequate! I'm gonna get me one of these:

http://www.nettally.com/saints/Tufnel_Guitar.jpg

Vood where do you find these,Man I could strap a nitrous bottle on my back and rock out,all it needs is a 8 ball on the wanger bar.:rockon: :dude: :AOK: Sumi:D

sumitomo
September 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
G this is the best place bar none! Sumi:D

mrmudcat
September 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Well if I did not have this place or the brothers and sisters of the fret,id be lost:AOK:

birv2
September 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
A big amen to that! I'm personally grateful for the knowledge freely shared and for the encouragement from my fellow fretters. I frequent and post on several other forums, but this one always feels like home.

And I kind of disagree with Robert, because I do think it all starts "at the top" (or "from the back", if you like). Robert sets the example on his website, sharing lessons, tips, gear reviews, etc.

So thanks to everyone who makes this place what it is!

piebaldpython
September 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
A mighty fine place to hang out and get WORTHWHILE info and help on anything related to gits and gear.

The BONUS being that I made some great friends here too!

player
September 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
True.it it a great place with great people(musicians most) on it I joined because I love music and me guitar.although I do mod in another forum(also friendly).this one has things that does not.the Respect factor is huge.like that.Not that there is none where I mod(with my 5400+ posts)there is.

the fact I was able to bring another mod over and a few members from there is not shabby either.case in point:That other forum I doubt could pull off a T shirt deal the way thefret did or have the varied tools this has to um spice up yer posts(has some but members have to burn few brain cells to understand them),found this via Roberts video's(aka Dolphin street) which in turn put me on to the Guitar Player Forum.another goodie there from the Boss here plus here I did or was able to pick up another axe(thanks SVL).whereas mine picked up good book and a couple decent CD's.here I picked up Robet's dvd's very good.every now and then I still go back to them to see if I did something or showed another fretter the right thing the right way.
in conclusion Thefret Rocks

Algonquin
September 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
BigG... you nailed it! and you are part of the success of this forum :bravo:
Cheers :beer:
David

Brian Krashpad
September 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Great thread, great forum, great peeps, great vibe.

What's not to love?

Kazz
September 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Yep...there is a lot of knowledge and very little ego here....completely opposite of that site that alot of us matriculated from..... The "W"

bigoldron
September 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
What can I add that hasn't already been said? It is a great place to hang out. Good people, good topics and good admins!

peachhead
September 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Well said! :AOK: