PDA

View Full Version : i think, therefore i chew...

Childbride
September 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
[NB: THIS IS OFF-COLOR... DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED]

so maggie, our little beagle, is now going on 9 months old.

i had forgotten the joys of the chewing puppy.

when she first came home, she immediately destroyed two pairs of shoes; one of mine, one of shiner's.

shiner's were boat shoes, and i remember when she squalled in the backyard as she passed a grommet.

shoes go in the trash.

we go to petsmart. buy her toys galore to chew. get her rawhide, et al to chew. chew on your toys, dear.

[nope.]

tonight, she goes after my bag that dugly's gf AnnA gave me that i take my music in to my lessons, my guitar music bag. eats the handle off.

the puppy eats sticks. sticks. bugs, the runners in the hall, the coatings off of tennis balls. she chews.

the wed before my bday was the classic, tho.

i'm talking to my gram.

maggs comes running, scooting through the bedroom,

[ok, how do i do this visual]

you know the grinch that stole xmas?

she had a foot long trail of 'tinsel' [carpet fibers, tennis ball covers, and personal business] trailing behind her.

i screamed, as she jumped onto the coverlet to relieve her distress.

shiner came to the rescue, scooped her up, and aleviated the issue in the backyard, much to magg's indignation.

remind me again, when do they grow out of this?!?

[edit: Patrick Swazye's death from pancreatic cancer actually hit me really badly last night, and i felt the need to try to be funny to laugh it off. i am somehow going to find a way to fundraise for this cancer that kills so many people so young, including my father. ]

Spudman
September 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: OMG that is a funny picture. I'm so happy you got to experience that...rather than me.:D

mrmudcat
September 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
better you than me or shiner!!!!:rotflmao:

street music
September 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
CB,
puppies will be that way for quite awhile, especially beagles and labs. Some breeds take a long time to grow out of chewing on things, yes it's cute at first but so when they can destroy items such as your guitar bag.
Has Shiner tried beer in the water bow?
Might mellow her out a bit. If not she will at least smell more like Shiner.

M29
September 16th, 2009, 01:47 PM
That is funny. Animals do the funniest things. A friend of my had a dog I can't remember the name of it but it was huge. A Mastif of some sort. Anyways this dog was sliding on its but in the back yard like they sometimes do howling and carrying on. My friend went out to see what was wrong and it had a garbage bag hanging out its back-end. He grabbed onto it and slid it out and the dog run laps around the yard in bliss.
Another time it ate a box of crayons and in the back yard was a poop pile with and array of colors sticking up out of it.:rotflmao:

Nothing of any value loss but it sure sounded funny.

All the best on your fund-raising for pancreatic cancer research CB.

PAPPY
September 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I think I am going to change the name of mine to Exterminator. Same age as yours and sounds like they could be sisters in the chewing department. I hate to be the bearer of sad news but I think they will get out of the chewing stage in about six years.

Seriously though, one thing that causes them to chew is boredom and lack of exercise. I finally got mine to playing fetch with a ball and I work her pretty hard every day so that at night she is ready for bed and rest and during the day as long as I am here she has slowed way down on chewing things. It's when I am not here and feel sorry for her and leave her out of her crate that she chews everything in site no matter if it's nailed down or not. She has chewed the linoleum off the dining room floor in places. She is a holy terror but I think I will keep her around for laughs.

piebaldpython
September 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM
:rotflmao: That was a funny story about Maggie.

Breezy, a/k/a The Killer, just loves his toys, thank God. He plays with all different toys. You throw a toy and he runs after it, grabs it, that shakes it violently back and forth (to break it's back) and then brings it back for another throw. He's 7.4 lbs of Addytood (spelled Philly style).

He gets hair in him too and he does the "tinsel" thing on the lawn. Too funny.

Pancreatic cancer took my Mom last year too at 82 yrs old.

Childbride
September 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
thanks, y'all.

i slightly exaggerated for story-telling purposes.

i dunno if y'all have ever watched the petsmart commercial where the dog has his favorite floppy toy that he carries around like his woobie and they have to get another...

maggie has had like six of them, all blue [b/c it's my fav color]... we called them blue man. ['where's blue man, maggs?']

she loved them b/c they squeaked, then she promptly exploded them.

tonight, i was holding her as lucky jinx in the finals show for america's got talent, and skinner won. she got scared when i squealed. the other chick was from texas, but skinner is just an honest dude.

Pappy, i concur... as it gets cooler, we're going to start walking her around the park about a block from here [shiner says he'll take her running w/him] to wear her out.

M29... thanks. i give to several charities, cancer being one of the big ones... it runs rampant in my family. i just want to do something extra this time, and will coordinate something locally to make a difference. IMHO, one cannot sit around and cry about a problem if they do not take affirmative action to resolve said problem. nuff said.

y'all have an awesome weekend. my mom flies in to tx tomorrow and will be here fri.

will be interesting to have her meet gram's namesake.

can't wait until maggs eats mom's shoes or purse. will have to take precautionary measures. ;) :D :AOK: