PDA

View Full Version : From Wooden Planks to Finished Guitar

bigG
September 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I found this last night, and was mesmerised as I watched.

I usually research everything I can about a guitar I'm thinking of buying or already own (and, many of those owned by some of you guys n gals). So, as I just purchased a used Taylor 310 acoustic (made in 2000), I read all of the professional and user reviews I could find on that guitar, and also went to Taylor's acoustic guitar site.

There I found this set of 15 videos (from 6 - 14 minutes each), showing, in quite nice detail, how selected pieces of various woods become a finished acoustic guitar. The 15 vids have a total running time of approx 2 hours, so, until you have the time to view all 15, I suggest picking out a few that seem interesting to you. It will be well worth your time. You'll not only see how Taylor does it, but also possibly learn, what might be, some new terminology re parts of a guitar (for those of you not familiar w those many terms).

I am in NO WAY promoting Taylor guitars here. This is simply the best, most in-depth tutorial I've ever seen regarding the manufacture of a guitar in general, and a Taylor in particular.

I hope you take some time to check this out. You can start-stop at any time, and pick back up where you left off within each of the 15 segments.

As The Tone King would say (incessantly!): "So, without further ado"...here's the page for the video tour of the making of an acoustic guitar:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/video/factory-fridays/default.aspx?edition=1&title=1%3a+Roto-shaper

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have! I thought it quite fascinating and, well...amazing! :D

G

wingsdad
September 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
You made a good choice in going with the Taylor 310 over the Crafter, notwithstanding my comments influenced by Taylors' propensity to die early deaths by nature of top-cracking in the arid SoCal desert climate that I've seen them discarded for. You're fortunate to be in a more temperate, humid clime in Florida that should serve the guitar well.

Nice set of videos; building a fine acoustic guitar is an art.

bigG
September 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks, wingsdad. It is a VERY fine guitar. I'm very happy with it. :AOK:

kiteman
September 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Nice find. I got it bookmarked for later. :)