PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Ovation Balladeer

saabing
September 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I recently purchased a vintage “shiny bowl” Ovation Balladeer with what appears to be the original hard case. It has a 3 piece natural top, Kluson (not Grover) tuners, dot fret markers, and thin rosette with the grape bunch at 4 o'clock position. The white paper label reads Ovation Instruments, Bloomfield Conn, Model – Ballandeer, Serial Number 077 (in black).

Going to the Ovation History website, it seems to indicate that this may have been produced between February and September 1967 after the move to the New Hartford factory. The label seems to state otherwise.

I am very interesting in learning more about this guitar, the age, the number that may have been produced, any specific care requirements and only out of general interest the approximate value. Any info would be appreciated.

bigG
September 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'd like to be able to help you, saab, but I know squat abt Ovations. Sorry.

Why not stop by The Fret Players and introduce yourself if you get a chance to. Welcome! :beer:

evenkeel
September 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Couple of things you need to make sure of.
1. Does the label really say "Ballandeer" Should be Balladeer. I'm guessing this is just your typo, but....
2. The serial number from that era is typically in red ink.

If the label is mis-spelled and the serial number is in black ink it is likely a knock off.

If you a great condition early Ovation you have a gem. Real piece of guitar history. Many of the early Ovations have a problem with the plastic (lyrachord) bowl-back disintigrating. They also, due to the use of the plastic Lyrachord, got branded as beaters. So they often are in kind of tough shape. Finally due to the solid wood top reacting to the environment and the plastic back not, other structural issues often pop up.

saabing
September 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thank you for your post. You are correct, the label reads Balladeer. The guitar is in great structural condition, with no separation. There are a few pick scrapes. I thought that perhaps being stored in the case for most of its life has kept the humidly and environment from doing damage. It is nice feeling to have a unique instrument. I ill try to attach some pics.1927

saabing
September 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Will try one more pic.1929

evenkeel
September 17th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Very cool. Great piece of guitar history. Looks like a bit of deep pick marks near the sound hole. I also see a bit of evidence of a couple of top finish cracks. Almost looks like two seams. On starts at the edge of the bridge, low "E" side, running parallel to the strings. The other is on the treble side, closer to the edge. But no matter.

FWIW the 2009 Vintage Guitar guide has a value of $450-$550 on early production Balladeer 1121's.

Auriemma
September 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Nice find. Head over to the Ovation Fan Club Forums (http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi). they can tell you all you need to know about O's.