PDA

View Full Version : Who is Jack White?

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 09:35 AM
...who Jack White is? I didn't know where to put this post so if it's not in the right place forgive me.

I saw the movie Cold Mountain again this weekend and as I watched I exclaimed HEY there's Jack White. He played some mandolin playin' character on the movie and I recognized his face and the fact that he was playing a mandolin....I don't even know the guy or what he does! I just remember his face from one of the guitar mags I had. What does he do? Anyone know?

Robert
August 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM
He plays guitar and sings in The White Stripes.

t_ross33
August 28th, 2006, 11:01 AM
He plays guitar and sings in The White Stripes.

He also produced Loretta Lynn's last album "Van Lear Rose", while not a huge commercial success (radio-wise - big surprise) it was critically aclaimed as some of Ms. Lynn's best work in years.

SuperSwede
August 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Tone, try to get hold of the White Stripes album "Under Blackpool Lights". They play a fantastic version of Jolene! Only drums & electric guitar! :)

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Tone, try to get hold of the White Stripes album "Under Blackpool Lights". They play a fantastic version of Jolene! Only drums & electric guitar! :)

You mean the Dolly Parton song?

SuperSwede
August 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Yup, here is the video (oh no a Youtube video :D )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8LEx8DfMf4

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Yup, here is the video (oh no a Youtube video :D )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8LEx8DfMf4

The rockin' part of the song is pretty cool. Love that drum beat with the song. His singing is a little funky though. Maybe the girl should have sang the song? heh And as my daughter would say (about his guitar)..."that is so punk rock!" :)

Spudman
August 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Don't forget that Jack is now fronting The Raconteurs band with mucho success as well.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Don't forget that Jack is now fronting The Raconteurs band with mucho success as well.

Since this question was raised I've been reading about this guy and ran into that bit of news along the way.

Ok so....The White Stripes is a band comprised of Jack and his ex-wife? 2 members? Guitar and drums thats it? Interesting.

t_ross33
August 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Since this question was raised I've been reading about this guy and ran into that bit of news along the way.

Ok so....The White Stripes is a band comprised of Jack and his ex-wife? 2 members? Guitar and drums thats it? Interesting.

Either that or his sister, I think that's the way they originally billed it, but then some documents surfaced that pointed to the fact that they were once married... who knows :confused:

I haven't seen them live, but apparently they put on quite a show with just drums and guitar. Not a huge fan, but from everything I've read on the man he is a very underated (or maybe just understated) guitar player.

Tone2TheBone
August 28th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Either that or his sister, I think that's the way they originally billed it, but then some documents surfaced that pointed to the fact that they were once married... who knows :confused:

I haven't seen them live, but apparently they put on quite a show with just drums and guitar. Not a huge fan, but from everything I've read on the man he is a very underated (or maybe just understated) guitar player.

...or maybe he's just "misunderstood." ;)

Spudman
August 28th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Meg was Jacks wife. Now she's just his drummer. How ironic.:rolleyes:

Tone2TheBone
August 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Meg was Jacks wife. Now she's just his drummer. How ironic.:rolleyes:

What's ironic is that not only did he take his ex-wifes surname as his own when they got married...his kid that he had from another woman (presumably his new wife) now has the last name as White. Thats crazy man!