PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor fall gig

helliott
September 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The Hammer Daddies did a big birthday party at a rural location Saturday night. Lesson 1: Fall gigs outdoors in Ontario, maybe not. Warm near fire, freezing on the quite nice stage they built.
Lesson 2: Avoid mixed situations where part of the band is mic'd through a PA and the rest isn't. At least for me, this is a problem because I can hear myself well enough, but I can't hear where I am in the overall mix. Difficult to mix in well. Also, sound guy insisted on sidewash monitors as opposed to stagefront monitors. Again, not so good as monitor volume is fine at the front of the stage but iffy near the middle and back.
Still, all in all, a good experience. Working with a new singer, making us a 5-piece, and that's going well but we needed this opportunity to see how the five gel as opposed to the four. Our drummer and organist where spot on, I was a bit off due to the mix issues and also having fingers with no blood in them. They don't co-operate like warm ones, and my friend Arthur Itis doesn't help.
All in all, good learning and looking forward to a gig soon in a warmer and more controlled environment.
The crowd liked us a lot, for what that's worth.
Here's our set list:

SET 1

Call me the breeze..E

Further on up the road..G

I don’t need no woman..A

Close to you..A

I’m a man..E

Rack em up..C

Mustang Sally..C

Knockin’ on heaven’s door..G

Don’t you know..G-A

I got a line on you..A

SET 2

Jingo..B

Leavin’ here..A

All your love..Gm

She’s tuff..E

I’m a ram..C

Roadhouse blues..E

The weight..A

Black magic woman..D

Soulshine..Bb

Boom Boom..E

SET 3

Green Onions..F

Dead flowers..D

Old love..Am

Nadine..A

I wanna love you..E

We gotta get outta this place..C

Flip, flop, fly..Bb

Bring your fine self home..E

Before you accuse me..E

Little wing..E

Robert
September 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Good set list! I might steal some from it... ;)

Brr, outdoor gigs are always uncertain. Sounds like you had a good time.

helliott
September 22nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
As the Zepplin song says, steal away. Now that I'm warm again, it recalls as fun. Got some gigs flowing from it last couple fo days, so it was all worthwhile.

M29
September 23rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Congrats:AOK: I did not know Arthur Itis moved up north. I know him well...

Would love to do an outdoor gig. I remember playing drums in the cold but I can imagine how tough it would be on guitar.

Again, congrats on a successful gig:rockon:

helliott
September 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks. It's all good. Just happy to keep plugging away, working for those special minutes. They don't happen that often, but when they do, I can happily report they feel as great in mid-50s as they did back in the young man blues days.