PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Guitar Solos of All time

Myles
September 19th, 2005, 05:59 PM
In the article, The 100 Greatest Guitar Solos (http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm), they suggest that the following is the top 10 best guitar solos of all time based upon reader through Guitar World magazine.

song: Crossroads
guitarist: Eric Clapton
band: Cream
album: Wheels of Fire

song: Crazy Train
guitarist: Randy Rhoads
band: Ozzy Ozbourne
album: Blizzard of Ozz

song: Hotel California
guitarist: Don Felder/Joe Walsh
band: The Eagles
album: Hotel California

song: One
guitarist: Kirk Hammet
band: Metallica
album: And Justice for All

song: November Rain
guitarist: Slash
band: Guns n' Roses
album: Use Your Illusion I

song: All Along the Watchtower
guitarist: Jimi Hendrix
band: Jimi Hendrix Experience
album: Electric Ladyland

song: Comfortably Numb
guitarist: David Gilmour
band: Pink Floyd
album: The Wall

song: Freebird
guitarist: Collins/Rossington
band: Lynyrd Skynyrd
album: Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd

song: Eruption
guitarist: Eddie Van Halen
band: Van Halen
album: Van Halen

song: Stairway to Heaven
guitarist: Jimmy Page
band: Led Zeppelin
album: Led Zeppelin IV

Trying to grade 100 solos and properly classify them is nearly impossible, but what are your opinions on the top 10.

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I'll take a shot at it...

song: Crossroads
guitarist: Eric Clapton
band: Cream
album: Wheels of Fire

Were these in order of preference? To me this is quintessential Eric and I really hoped I spelled quintessential right.

song: Crazy Train
guitarist: Randy Rhoads
band: Ozzy Ozbourne
album: Blizzard of Ozz

Randy's solos were so melodic. I have so many favorites of his. But in terms of song popularity yes I would imagine that this song makes it to the top of his best and memorable solos.

song: Hotel California
guitarist: Don Felder/Joe Walsh
band: The Eagles
album: Hotel California

I have ALWAYS been a big Joe Walsh fan and again...I think most people remember this song more than others so...good choice again.

song: One
guitarist: Kirk Hammet
band: Metallica
album: And Justice for All

There are solos on the CD Load that I think are pure genius. Many people thought the Mighty Met sold out though when they cut their hair (friends don't let friends cut their hair) and started playing a bit differently than people were used to...but I really like a lot of that stuff. And Justice for All is just amazing. Saw the tour...I still play the CD at least a million times a year. I think James Hetfield should get top honors for some of his best rhythm work on this CD.

song: November Rain
guitarist: Slash
band: Guns n' Roses
album: Use Your Illusion I

Slash is not one of my favorite guitar players. Although he DOES play Marshall Jubilees like me so...he's ok in that respect. ;)

song: All Along the Watchtower
guitarist: Jimi Hendrix
band: Jimi Hendrix Experience
album: Electric Ladyland

I would have picked Jimi's solo in Red House Blues.

song: Comfortably Numb
guitarist: David Gilmour
band: Pink Floyd
album: The Wall

Yup.

song: Freebird
guitarist: Collins/Rossington
band: Lynyrd Skynyrd
album: Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd

Again...most popular and remembered tune. Solo is cool. A little too long though for me.

song: Eruption
guitarist: Eddie Van Halen
band: Van Halen
album: Van Halen

Absolutely Eruption!

song: Stairway to Heaven
guitarist: Jimmy Page
band: Led Zeppelin
album: Led Zeppelin IV

Jimmy Page is THE REASON I took up playing guitar Steve Vai was once quoted as saying. I happen to subscribe to that idea. Jimmy Page was just a GOD during that time. The perfect rock star persona. And he could play too. His acoustic stuff was always better I thought...but during the 70s he just kicked everyone's ---! Definately 2 thumbs way up. -RobJ

Robert
September 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I haven't even heard "Freebird", but I think most solos on Jimi's "Band of Gypsys" would qualify as belonging on the list. Most of those solos are good though. Slash? Nah, not for me. Page - yes, good solo there for sure. I think Page, Clapton, Beck and those guys played so much better than most 80s and 90's guitar players. Nowadays, we don't have many guitarslingers any more, it seems.

tremoloman
September 26th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I think it's impossible to say "<fill in the blank> are the best 10 guitar solos ever" since it all depends on what kind of music you are referring to. To a classic rock fan, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, and the like are all "crap", and fans Eddie & Co. feel the same about classic stuff - it's all just a matter of opinion and personal taste.

Consider my choices as the "top 10 guitar solos that inspired me to play guitar". (These can change at a moments notice though!)

1. Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun (live w/the Band of Gypsys)
2. Jimi Hendrix - Johnny B. Goodde (from live at Berkley)
3. Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze/Guitar Improvisation (from Woodstock performance)
4. Kirk Hammett - Fade To Black
5. Dave Mustaine - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
6. Eddie Van Halen - Hot For Teacher
7. Nuno Bettencourt - Decadance Dance
8. Alex Lifeson - Working Man
9. Randy Rhodes - Crazy Train (live from 'Tribute')
10. Jimmy Page - Bron-Yr-Aur

Ok, let the flaming begin. :)

Robert
September 26th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Oh, I sounded crabby there didn't I... well I like EVH, Nuno, Kirk, Vai and others too... There were quite a few good players in the 80s, when I think back!
I like your first pick there, Tremoloman! That solo is divine. Jimi is, was and will always be The Man.

Tone2TheBone
October 4th, 2005, 02:10 PM
...Hey Robert...let me borrow your Octave Fuzz pedal man........

Robert
October 4th, 2005, 02:17 PM
The Octave Fuzz is a cool pedal. Not as good as the Fulltone ones, though.

I know - I should record some clips with it and post on my website! After that, you can borrow it.

47Taskmaster84
February 8th, 2012, 09:31 AM
ANgus young from AC/DC his solo from dirty deeds is awesome, not neccasirly (Spelt that wrong) the top 10 but still an amazing solo. Also one of the greatest guitars ever.

kiteman
February 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Whoever voted the top ten haven't heard Buck Dharma. :socool

Ch0jin
February 9th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I haven't even heard "Freebird",

Umm...... What? How are there 6 posts after this bombshell without anyone mentioning it!

Robert, go listen to it. I mean, who else but a guitarist could appreciate a ten minute song that's like half guitar solo :)

You likely wont consider it the best guitar work of all time, I sure don't when you've got guys like Hendrix in the mix, but if there was ever a song for guitar players to enjoy it's Freebird.

R_of_G
February 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I haven't even heard "Freebird"...

You are truly one of the luckiest individuals ever. I wish I could say the same.

Eric
February 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I kind of like revisiting these threads from the old days. Ahh, 2005. Robert was so innocent back then.

I like the solos from Comfortably Numb and Stairway to Heaven; I agree with those. Those are good candidates for learning. I've been trying Stairway to Heaven for a while, but it's the speed and the transitioning up the fretboard to the 12th fret that have me stuck right now. All in good time.