PDA

View Full Version : How would you chain these?

Kazz
September 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Two guitars...Les Paul copy with EMG Select buckers and Telecaster with Vox AD30VT amp

Vox v847 Wah
Boss GE-7 EQ
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive and Distortion
Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
BBE Free Fuzz
GGG Brown Sound in a Box II

Leave me room for a Boss TU-2 tuner as that is next on the shopping list.

How would you chain these up...and why. Discuss away guys.

I just recently bought Jekyll and Hyde and have not even had a chance to test it out yet. It might be able to handle the role of the monkey, fuzz and BSIAB II.

What say ye?

markb
September 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have two questions about your pedals.

1. What sort of fuzz is the BBE? e.g. Fuzz Face, Tonebender, Big Muff type?
2. How do you use the eq? As an eq to modify tone or as a booster with some frequency control?

You might find the J&H does remove the Monkey and BSIAB from your chain. Jekyll is basically a TS808 circuit with a switch to defeat the bass cut. Hyde is sort of like a RAT so quite Marshally in character. You'll save one cable link and power connection. It won't save any space in my experience.

Spudman
September 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Vox v847 Wah
Boss GE-7 EQ
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive and Distortion
Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
BBE Free Fuzz
GGG Brown Sound in a Box II

Leave me room for a Boss TU-2 tuner

Just like this. In most cases I like an overdrive before a fuzz because it seems to smooth it out. You can do that with an overdrive after too for some different effects. I put the tuner last because you can mute your signal while you tune and you also have a buffer before the amph.

Kazz
September 22nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Mark....wish I could answer your questions better but I am just dabbling with the dark side as I have primarily been an acoustic player. I have played around with the BBE Free Fuzz and it is very fuzzy can almost be considered a distortion in my book....but with the knobs rolled back it is a creamy fuzz. It was one of those deals that was too good to pass up. As for the EQ I have only tinkered with it a few times....have not even really gotten around to researching how to best set it for the classic rock tone I seek.

I did notice that when I engage the EQ that it does give a pretty nice boost so I may use it like that or I may use it to dial in some more mids.

I think I am going to try to spend some time with all the pedals this coming weekend and see what I like or do not like. I know from the demos I watched yesterday that I am almost wishing I kept the classic 30 because the JH sounds awesome through a clean C30. As for being marshally.....that would be perfect :-) The BSIAB covers some of that Marshall territory too. I guess I should have done more research before buying the BSIAB.....as I knew it delivered Marshall land in a box...but I was really hoping to nail "The Brown Sound" as in Van Halen 1 and 2