PDA

View Full Version : Going from blues to shred?

hulder
September 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Quick question. I've been playing blues style soloing for quit some time now. Mainly slow hand or shuffle type blues. I love the blues but I also want to transition into more of a Vai/Satch/Slash/Tremonti style of shredding.

My Issue, I'm so used to playing slow hand that I can't:

1. Divide the beats of a measure more than 4th to 8th notes. I want to play
16ths and 32nd notes including triplets.

2. I get lost using a metronome and can't tell if I'm on beat.

3. Don't know what scales to use for this style other than maj/min pent, and maj/min scales.

Any advice?

SuperSwede
September 22nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Hello!

Use the search function, Robert (aka vein master flash) and other members have posted lessons that probably could help you out.
I also think that the rockinĀ“rev Marnold has some tips about books (Metal method?)

marnold
September 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
1. Divide the beats of a measure more than 4th to 8th notes. I want to play 16ths and 32nd notes including triplets.
That's a common complaint. Remember that you won't be a shredder in a day. Rather than divide up into 16ths, crank up the metronome and play with each click at first. If you can't play it cleanly, you can't play it. Back off a bit and work your way up. The nice thing about a metronome is that you have automatic feedback on how your improving. Even if you only got one bpm faster, that's still improvement!

2. I get lost using a metronome and can't tell if I'm on beat.
Then slow down :) Record yourself with the metronome or a click track. You might think you're off or spot on. The recording won't lie.

3. Don't know what scales to use for this style other than maj/min pent, and maj/min scales.

Any advice?
Phrygian and Dorian are other big ones besides minor/Aeolian. Harmonic minor comes in quite a bit too.

I would suggest checking out Metal Method and also some of Michael Angelo Batio's DVDs for more help on that.

sumitomo
September 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
and a pointy guitar! Sumi:D

FrankenFretter
September 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
and a pointy guitar! Sumi:D
...And practice your "metal face"!

ShootTheGlass
September 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
crank up the metronome and play with each click at first. If you can't play it cleanly, you can't play it. Back off a bit and work your way up.

This man speaketh the truth.

I have the Paul Gilbert Intense Rock, and although its pretty full-on, he does play each example nice and slow and the tab is clear at the bottom of the screen. Tremonti has said that if it wasnt for Intense Rock and other Paul Gilbert stuff, he wouldnt be able to play as fast as he does right now.