PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good sounding delay pedal - reccomendations?

jpfeifer
September 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a good sounding delay pedal. I've had a Boss DD-5 for a long time but I sold it. I'm looking for something that will give me more of a warmer sound like an old tape echo, but with versatile controls to cover lots of different things. I'm willing to spend more $ for something that really sounds good. I use delay alot for doing accompaniment parts behind vocalists, etc. I use delay efffects and volume pedal swells to add spacious sounds, and sometimes use the whammy bar to imitate pedal steel sounds. I want something that sounds really warm and spacious.

Here are the ones I'm considering:
T-Rex Replica Delay
Boss RE-20 Space Echo Delay
Any others that I should look at?

Some of the features that I'd really like to have:
- good simulation of tape echo (without the tape, and reliability problems)
- tap tempo

Thanks for any suggestions.
-- Jim

Robert
September 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I think my Boss DD-20 sounds great.

Have a look at the Nova delay too.

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
My instructor's Nova was good sounding I thought. I love the sound of my MXR Carbon Copy, and I think it covers the warms sounds you are thinking about, but no tap tempo.

Monkus
September 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Line 6's Echo Park works well for me...!

sumitomo
September 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
^^^ MXR carbon copy good buy good pedal.Sumi:D

jpfeifer
September 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
The Boss DD-20 looks awesome. It has several different delay modes and presets, plus tap tempo. I could really use this. The youtube clips sounded very good for the modes that I would use (tape echo and modulation mode) I will check out this one for sure.

-- Jim

Robert
September 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I love it Jim. Best delay pedal I have ever used. In order to use tap tempo in a convenient way, you should also get the FS-5U - http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=57
Makes it easier to do tap tempo.

rylanmartin
September 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I REALLY like using a Nova Delay for several reasons....
1: best rhythm delay settings
2: small in size
3: it can light up a baseball stadium

mrmudcat
September 22nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
MXR analog FTW!!!

jpfeifer
September 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
I checked out the Nova delay pedal online. This one looks awesome too. I think that either one of these (Roland DD-20, or TC Electronics Nova) would be great for me. I have to decide which one would work best for my setup. I'll try to test drive these at Guitar Center. That's the only way to know for sure. The user reviews on both of these seem to be very good.

I like that rhythm feature on the Nova for setting the delay time, that's kind of cool.

-- Jim

mrmudcat
September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Our own FRET VOODOOMAN makes a great pedal to we had one made......he does nice work ..........but we have not fully discovered the ping pong delay yet ..................but we will !!!:master: He made us another T.S. on steroids pedal that gets worked out:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
I checked out the Nova delay pedal online. This one looks awesome too. I think that either one of these (Roland DD-20, or TC Electronics Nova) would be great for me. I have to decide which one would work best for my setup. I'll try to test drive these at Guitar Center. That's the only way to know for sure. The user reviews on both of these seem to be very good.

I like that rhythm feature on the Nova for setting the delay time, that's kind of cool.

-- Jim

did you see the vid I found of the Nova when I was shopping for a delay? It was pretty impressive. It was in my delay shopping thread: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=9184

hubberjub
September 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I've been gigging pretty heavily with the DD-20 for the last two years and it's been great. I think the Nova is probably a better pedal but the DD-20 has an interface that's easier to use.

Blaze
September 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
The TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay is the baby brother to the Nova delay pedal..Easier interface + it s cheaper..

hV4bke7EimY&feature

birv2
September 23rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
I've got the DanEcho. It's pretty low-fi but people say it's got a nice tape echo sim that sounds pretty warm. I'm not a delay expert, but I like it.

markb
September 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Have a look at the new model Tech21 Boost DLA with tap tempo and tape sim "flutter" control. Pretty simple but sounds great. The vid shows the old model without tap.

YL06DL2nKXo

schenkadere
September 29th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Have a look at the new model Tech21 Boost DLA with tap tempo and tape sim "flutter" control. Pretty simple but sounds great. The vid shows the old model without tap.

YL06DL2nKXo

I have the first model along with the Boost RVB. I love it. I would seriously consider this great pedal.

Spudman
September 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
You might want to check out the smaller version of the Line 6 M13 called the M9 that will be coming out the beginning of October. The delays are fabulous and you can stack 3 of them or whatever other effect you might desire for not much more $ than the Nova or Boss units.

Tig
March 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
I just bought an MXR Carbon Copy and love the warm analog sound. I read up and decided against a few other delay pedals, mostly due to them failing all too frequently.

I ordered it Friday night, as in late, and it showed up Monday noon. Sweetwater even threw in candy and a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm sharp pick. Nice to do business with!

Edit: Dunlop demo...
VVqhXuUaGQc

Robert
March 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
The M9 all the way, man! What you get in the M9 for the price is astounding, and there are mucho KILLER delays in it.

marnold
March 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I just bought an MXR Carbon Copy and love the warm analog sound. I read up and decided against a few other delay pedals, mostly due to them failing all too frequently.
I've been keeping an eye on that one too. Let us know what you think of it after you get a chance to mess with it.

sunvalleylaw
March 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
I love my MXR. It sounds good!

mainestratman
March 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
I want one. GAS ATTACK! ARRGH!

LOL

Spudman
March 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
The M9 all the way, man! What you get in the M9 for the price is astounding, and there are mucho KILLER delays in it.
Total agreement from me. I've got 2 analog delays and 4 digital delays and I now have no desire to use any of them because the M pedal is gettin it done!

marnold
March 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
The M9 seems like overkill if your main goal is just a nice delay. Of course, at the price I've seen some delay pedals . . .

sumitomo
March 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
I have one (carbon copy) but I never use it because I'm plugged in the m13 and having choices is great.I think I'll make a pedal board for here at work.The m13 has more pedals than I'll use in my lifetime,but I'm always finding more and more cool sounds,it never gets dead playing.Sumi:D

iohanr
April 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
I returned my M9 because I didn't like the drive sounds on it (except for the Tube Driver model...). The delays on it were on par with my TC Nova Delay. I would give the slight edge to the TC for "warmth". The downside of the M9 is that if you plan to use it in your effects loop, then the drives won't sound so good. If you use it in front of the amp, then the delays/reverbs won't be good unless you stick primarily on one clean channel of your amp...

Tig
April 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I've heard that the M9's weakness is the overdrive/distortion models, but that is for one that is still stock. You can download updates for a better selection for the M9, and a huge number for the M13.