PDA

View Full Version : Gibson to introduce a Hendrix guitar

Robert
September 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
What's your thoughts on this?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/janie-hendrix-introduces-915/

An entirely new and unprecedented Jimi Hendrix guitar model designed by the Authentic Hendrix and Gibson. This astonishing about-to-be-unveiled guitar brand is destined to inspire a new generation of players as well as the legion of musicians already under the influence of Jimi’s magical sound and style.

Not sure if it's just me, but anytime I think of Jimi playing guitar, I usually think of him using a guitar whose first letter starts with "F". :thwap:

(If we already have a thread about this topic, let me know and I'll delete this one)

Kodiak3D
September 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Jimi's rolling over in his grave. A GIBSON?

mrmudcat
September 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
I hope it is not out sourced first and yea J.H. and F come to mind more so ..............IMHO:confused:

oldguy
September 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I read the article and have mixed feelings.
I always picture him playing the F guitar, but he could make the G's scream, cry, and roar too. I loved the pics I always saw with him wearing the V.

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have very mixed feelings about it. The whole marketing effort using his "rights" just turns me off a bit. Gibson paid more to the folks with the "rights" to his work?

So he played some Gibsons some times. He still was not primarily a Gibson player, and his iconic images and sounds come straight from strat land. Interesting that the only photo of Jimi holding a gutiar in the "Gibson Lifestyle" article itself is a pic of him and the back of a strat with the back cover off, and the top horn with the strap peg clearly visible. LOL!

mrmudcat
September 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Yea I hope its not a G overseas or outside a working mans reach if home based:thwap: Same goes for F.....not that im against something just stateside I am not a snob..............really I am not:whatever: :rotflmao:

sumitomo
September 22nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
What can I say boy's sales are down and I have alot of Chinese employees to take care of. Sumi:D

bigG
September 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Phooey!

markb
September 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
First we brought you The Beatles remastered and the matching video game. Now, ladeez and gennelmen, I give you (drum roll)

Jimi Hendrix - this weeks' rock 'n' roll cash cow.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Who's up next, I wonder?

peachhead
September 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Strange.
Maybe there will be a Duane Allman Strat. That should even things out. :D

mrmudcat
September 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Strange.
Maybe there will be a Duane Allman Strat. That should even things out. :D

Or tele with strat neck,56 sunburst strat,61 sunburst strat 57,58 59 paulas (goldie, sunburst, flametop ),62 sg paul/68 sg or a 60 junior.. 335 ........etc etc ................;) I know I missed some:thwap:

WackyT
September 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Gibson making a Strat copy in the name of Jimi? Is this 'kosher' with Fender?

BLOG: When is a 'Strat' not a Strat? (http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/blog-when-is-a-strat-not-a-strat-220867)

http://mos.musicradar.com/images/Product%20News/Guitar/sept09/hendrix-gibson/jh-gibson-white-460-100-460-70.jpg

http://mos.musicradar.com/images/Product%20News/Guitar/sept09/hendrix-gibson/jh-gibson-black850-200-80.jpg

mrmudcat
September 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Touche........... brother.....this preserves jimi's legacy how:whatever:

Ro3b
September 23rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
I agree with one of the commenters on WackyT's link. Fender should come out with an authentic Jimmy Page Les Paul.

Kodiak3D
September 23rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
New for Christmas...The Eric Clapton Signature Vendetta by Dean Guitars!!

rjohnj
September 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I think most people regretably know that the guitar brands they dearly love are large corporate money making machines these days and it's just another marketing strategy to make money.
It just hurts and makes me scratch my head to think why Gibson would do such a thing that most guitarists would be opposed to. They just seem to be so out of touch at times.
I think Jimi would find it very funny and not play one.

FrankenFretter
September 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
It seems as though everything carries Jimi's name these days; perhaps the rights to put his name on something is fairly affordable. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the Northwest, you find the Hendrix likeness on many, many things. Jimi Hendrix coffee? You bet.

It's sad to see this happening. I think we can all agree that Jimi would not have wanted it this way. Can we look forward to more icons being milked for all they're [not] worth?

rugbynyc
September 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
What's your thoughts on this?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/janie-hendrix-introduces-915/

Not sure if it's just me, but anytime I think of Jimi playing guitar, I usually think of him using a guitar whose first letter starts with "F". :thwap:

(If we already have a thread about this topic, let me know and I'll delete this one)

I think it means Gibson was willing to pay more to Jimis estate than Fender was.

rugbynyc
September 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I agree with one of the commenters on WackyT's link. Fender should come out with an authentic Jimmy Page Les Paul.

Didn't he use a Strat for the solo in stairway to heaven?

How about an official STH strat?

Tig
September 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
This different article provides a bit more info:
http://www.guitarworld.com/article/gibson_amp_authentic_hendrix_announce_3_new_hendri x_guitars (http://www.guitarworld.com/article/gibson_amp_authentic_hendrix_announce_3_new_hendri x_guitars)

From the article:
"Authentic Hendrix LLC, a Jimi Hendrix Family Company"
-This sounds to me like various relatives of Jimi have wisely incorporated his estate.

"The effort is also part of preserving his legacy so that generations to come could develop and appreciate his techniques and musicianship."
-Now we're getting into the cash cow department.

"every guitarist – from the beginner to the seasoned player – can find his or her inner Hendrix with this package. The “Experience” package will come with an official “Jimi Hendrix signature electric guitar” and all the necessary accessories and some fun extras including a Jimi Hendrix Signature “Voodoo Child” amplifier, a Foxey Fuzz pedal, a deluxe padded gig bag, an instructional DVD, an electronic tuner, two guitar cables, a Hendrix inspired strap, three picks and a USB drive containing exclusive Hendrix media content. In addition consumers will receive a Hendrix inspired tie-dyed tee-shirt and bandana. True to its name, this guitar package will give the music enthusiast the ultimate Hendrix experience. MSRP $449.99 USD. "
-Lots of catchy buzz words for marketing, but all this for only $449? I'm guessing the cheapest Squier Affinity Strat might kick this guitar's ***.
Look further down the article... There's two cheaper packages of $332 and $249!

Janie Hendrix, Jimi’s sister and CEO of Authentic Hendrix: “It was our own idea to approach Gibson in the beginning after the positive experiences we’d had with the Flying V’s that they made based on Jimi’s guitar some years back. Our excitement inspired their excitement, and here we are, creating these new branded musical instruments. This is just the tip of the iceberg.”
-If I comment on this BS, I might gag. :rolleyes:

mrmudcat
September 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
:puke:

OOPS TO LATE TIG;)

mrmudcat
September 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Considering by choice Jimi lived a very humble/dare I say poor lifestyle........as do alot of working musicians.............I am conflicted emotionally on extended Hendrix family cashing in.......but if not ......other corparate greed types will most certainly do so...........and have:thwap:

Lets get back to the actual fun making music.......atleast for me and mine it isnt about the money we play for the pure bliss.:dude:

Not that I am a hater on making money ....these days you have to survive:poke:

Peace & Luv Fo -Sho..........Mud

Auriemma
September 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Its just friggin' wrong!

Gibson sues everyone for copying their guitars.
Fender loses their case for body shape copyright.
And who is the first in line at the money grab.

Brian Krashpad
September 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Thoroughly disgusting.

I fully expect this sort of crap from the vultures at "Authentic Hendrix," who would apparently do just about anything to wring another dollar out of Jimi's corpse.

Shame on Gibson.

Blaze
September 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Should'nt they make a Dick Cavett special SG or a Isle of Wight Festival Flyin V...

VFZorStky7U

4b4gjJ_-tf8&feature

mrmudcat
September 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZYUaRKQkk&feature=related

guitartango
September 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Of course there could always be the Jimi Hendrix sick bag. Just supply your own drugs and wine...... maybe that's a little sick!

markb
September 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
How about the EVH banjo?

http://nedski.com/IMG_1390.jpg

ShootTheGlass
September 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
New for Christmas...The Eric Clapton Signature Vendetta by Dean Guitars!!

I laughed hard at that :)

Dave Mustaine doing rhythm backing for a Clapton eyes-shut solo.

mrmudcat
September 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
How about the EVH banjo?

http://nedski.com/IMG_1390.jpg

:rotflmao: :D :master:

Spudman
September 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I'm just going to sit back and hold out for the Angus Young Telecaster.

I think the best thing that could happen in cases like this when companies and families are obviously cashing in on the dead is for the public to simply ignore the product. Don't buy it and speak without using your wallet. Obviously most of us think this is bunk so we should all stand behind that right? I have a Strat for sale.:pancake:

MAXIFUNK
September 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I guess since there are images of him playing a Gibson they decided to run with it and cash in MONEY RULES ALL.

Most folks know he PUT STRATS on the must have wish list for most strat players wanting that authentic Hendrix sound.

I found picture of Bootsy Collins playing a Fender Jazz Bass but we all know
his space bass creation is his signature sound and axe.

Same goes for Jimi and the STRAT its his signature sound and axe.

Maxi................. LONG LIVE JIMI HENDRIX :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have very mixed feelings about it. The whole marketing effort using his "rights" just turns me off a bit. Gibson paid more to the folks with the "rights" to his work?

So he played some Gibsons some times. He still was not primarily a Gibson player, and his iconic images and sounds come straight from strat land. Interesting that the only photo of Jimi holding a gutiar in the "Gibson Lifestyle" article itself is a pic of him and the back of a strat with the back cover off, and the top horn with the strap peg clearly visible. LOL!

I had mixed feelings as stated above when I thought it was actually a Gibson model they would be using. Now that I see the strat copy they are coming out with, my feelings are not mixed at all. Lame. Just lame. This company that supposedly represents the legal "rights" to his name sues people like the folks that came out with the Hendrix vodka (which was also lame) but this is just as bad. Like some others said, just because you can legally do something doesn't mean you should. That Gibson can get away with doing a strat copy does not make it right, and cheapens the company's reputation in my mind. I do not think Mr. Paul would have liked this very much either.

Kodiak3D
September 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Time for Fender to make a Les Paul copy. Gibson crossed the line.

Spudman
September 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Time for Fender to make a Les Paul copy. Gibson crossed the line.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

msteeln
September 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Should I give up my dream of a Les Paul Strat?

Plank_Spanker
September 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I realize that Gibson is in a very competitive business, but this guitar is definitely over the line.

A pseudo Strat copy built by Gibson..........................that is just wrong on too many levels...............

markb
September 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Gibson have obviously forgotten the complete commercial failure that was their Victory (sort of super strat) model. Mind you, the Les Paul wasn't that successful first time around so who knows? :)

sumitomo
September 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM
This gives me a good idea,When Eddie VanHalen kicks the bucket Im going to make the Frankenstrat paint job on bed pan guitars and sell 'em saying these are what Eddie was playing when he was locked up in a rehab.Sumi:D

mrmudcat
September 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
There would be a market I bet Sumi brother!!!!;)

oldguy
September 26th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I feel the same as sunvalley Steve now that I have the full story.
I had envisioned a Flying V or something with Jimi's name on it.
When I saw it would be a cheap Strat-style ripoff I went from mixed feelings to "this is wrong, wrong, wrong."
Actually it's downright disgusting........... the company that's sued anyone and everyone possible now ripping off the strat , partnering with a company designed to milk all they can, while they can, from the name of a dead artist.
And to me the worst part is...............
a complete pkg deal including "voodoo chile" amp for 3 bills? You know it's gonna be cheap junk to stick under the Christmas tree. A slap in the face to Jimi Hendrix if you ask me.

I want one.:pancake: (joking)

:D :D :D

SuperSwede
September 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
And since Gibson makes it, its going to be the most expensive strat ever.

markb
September 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Well if you thought the "strat" was bad, I give you...

The Gibson-Baldwin Jimi Hendrix grand piano.

http://www2.gibson.com/getdoc/0810ccbb-2d8a-45c8-8f35-155c952c805c/Hendrix-jpg.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Pianos/Grand/Baldwin-Custom/Jimi-Hendrix.aspx

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Tig
September 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Your post should have come with a warning... I almost lost my dinner! :puke:
:D

pes_laul
September 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Wow...I use to almost like gibson (the company not the guitars, I like the guitars) but after seeing them sue PRS and the Guitar hero company and then see them turn around and do this, it's messed up.

What I personally don't get is they have nice guitars already (Even know there quality is going down and there prices going up)

ugh...

SuperSwede
September 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM
$168,848 :d

marnold
September 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Bah, it doesn't even come with a case.

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Gibson has apparently taken down all references to the product, and the press release. As the article says: "The people are pissed!"
http://www.gear-vault.com/gibson-hendrix-strat-people-are-pissed/

if we were in Australia, that would mean we (the people) were all drunk, right? ;)

Here is another article on the same thing:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/gibson-removes-hendrix-content-from-official-website-221575

LOL!!

Kodiak3D
September 29th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm guessing there's more to this than just Gibson reacting to the public outrage (they don't seem to care about pissing folks off). I'm wondering if they got an angry letter from Fender's lawyers.

Lev
September 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
if we were in Australia, that would mean we (the people) were all drunk, right? ;)
LOL!!

or Ireland, in fact we're permanently pissed over here!!

Tig
September 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Gibson has apparently taken down all references to the product, and the press release. As the article says: "The people are pissed!"

Looks like they'll have plenty of wood available for a bonfire...

:thwap:
http://www.gear-vault.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/guitar-004.thumbnail.jpg

sumitomo
September 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM
or Ireland, in fact we're permanently pissed over here!!

You know what they do with a sober Irishman don't you?

They make him a Saint! Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
September 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
FWIW I though Jimi's blues tone was killer on the V. Especially on Redhouse.

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing there's more to this than just Gibson reacting to the public outrage (they don't seem to care about pissing folks off). I'm wondering if they got an angry letter from Fender's lawyers.

Perhaps Fender did lob a shot across the bow.

The sheer audacity of this is mind boggling even by Gibson's standards.................a Jimi Hendrix Strat copy built by Gibson????

There must be a new breed of suits steering the ship at Gibson, with a total disregard to the lineage and nothing but an eye to the money. To a casual observer, this may seem like a death rattle from a dying company, but Gibson isn't exactly in that boat. This is just unbridled greed.

If Gibson does indeed scap this monstrosity, I hope it sticks in their throat for a while and possibly refocuses them on what they do best