PDA

View Full Version : 1st Spookbox song

deeaa
September 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
OK, here's what we managed when drummer was totally wasted and also others were a bit drunk - I was sober though. Recorded at our training place on my laptop with an 8-input soundcard.

WARNING lyrics contain swearwords, F and A.

I sing and play the rhythm guitar:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/spook_zerotolerance_b1.mp3

I tried to make it sound like a C-cassette recording, ahem, mostly to hide inaccuracies of playing here&there...and because it's supposed to be garage rock :-)

Any comments welcome...

marnold
September 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Your singing seemed to fit the vibe of the song just about perfectly. Given the subject matter, though, I expected an "angrier" guitar solo. In the context I understand why the profanity was in there, although it seemed a bit tacked on.

deeaa
September 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks! You're doubly right - there is really no solo at all, I do think we should add a proper solo. And 2nd the profanity bit is indeed a later addition - we felt it lacked something in the beginning and added that as an afterthought. Well hopefully it at least gets some attention if anything :-)

The more I listen to it the more it seems like it's terribly badly played all round, but what the hey...it's not that we're trying to make excellently conducted music, we just want to make *loud* and rotten sounding music and have fun :-) I'm trying to keep my guitar playing so simple and avoid lead bits and such as much as I can, so that I don't need to stress playing and singing at the same time, or worry about drinking maybe too much on a gig (once we get them some day). I also have adopted sort of a growling way of singing for this band - that too I think I can pretty much do even with a sore throat. If I sing pretty loosely and raw on record, I can do it even more raw live and nobody will mind.

I can always put my best stuff in other bands I'm have, I mean, guitar playing/technicality wise. This stuff - I just spank the plank and nevermind if it's absolutely in tune or what the sound happens to be like - just turn it to 11 and rock out and scream!

marnold
September 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I can always put my best stuff in other bands I'm have, I mean, guitar playing/technicality wise. This stuff - I just spank the plank and nevermind if it's absolutely in tune or what the sound happens to be like - just turn it to 11 and rock out and scream!
And there's definitely something to be said for that! Ahh, 11 . . .