PDA

View Full Version : My name is also Robert

Retro Hound
September 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hello,

Just to introduce myself, I’m 43 and just started playing guitar. I very happily married and have 4 boys ages 7-14. My job is a librarian at a mid-sized state university.

I’ve always been a huge music fan, I have over 600 vinyl albums and about 400 CDs. Makes me wonder what took me so long to start playing.

Well it all began with my 2nd son expressing an interest in learning guitar. We bought him a starter Squier acoustic for $180USD. I started fiddling around with it and really enjoyed it.

At a garage sale we found a blue 3/4 Harmony that looked brand new and sounded not too bad for $25 for the younger kids. While talking to the lady about the guitar, she said they had another full-size one they might sell. It was a metal flake red Squier with really nice resonance for $75 and it came with a hard case, a book, a stand, an electronic tuner, and a bright red strap (doesn’t match the red of the guitar at all). It also looked like it had never been played. My wife asked if I was really going to learn and I replied that I could sell it for more than $75 if I don’t.

After getting all the way to learning the 4th string in the book, I started lusting for an electric. So at another garage sale I bought a Squier Affinity Stratocaster that’s basically new and Roland Cube 15x. He said “You want a bag with that?” and I laughed, but he was talking about a gig bag. He threw in the cord, a Fender gig bag and a pick(!).

My lust still not satisfied, I wanted a Les Paul. One came up on Craigslist in my area so I got a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (a hollow body Les Paul). I kinda wish I’d held out for an Ultra II, but the price was $250 and I didn’t think I’d get an Ultra II for anywhere near that. Once again, I figured I could sell it for more than (or at least) $250 if I changed my mind.

I should mention that I live in a small town and the one and only music store in town carries only Fender (and Squier) for guitars/amps. There are 3 or 4 music stores in a town about 45 minutes away, and I’d like to get over there and try out some various guitars and amps, but that’s a half-day or more commitment and I haven’t had the time yet. I’ll probably be asking a question about modeling amps here soon.

My oldest son wants to learn banjo. We also have a Casio keyboard that the kids and wife play around with.

Music styles I like: just about everything. My favorites are probably blues (Buddy Guy, B. B. King, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Stevie Ray Vaughan), 60s fuzzy psychedelic (Jimi Hendrix, Big Brother & the Holding Company, Oxford Circle), bluegrass/folk (Doc Watson, Flatt & Scruggs), 50s & 60s R&B/Soul (Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin), 80s alternative (U2, The Cure, Mission of Burma), and classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Alman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd).

Robert
September 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Welcome Robert, that is a good name. Kind of balances things out here a bit, since we have bucketloads of guitarslingers by the name Steve...

Great intro, enjoy this place!

Spudman
September 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
, since we have bucketloads of guitarslingers by the name Steve...

And there is nothing at all wrong with that.:bootyshake:

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You are safe since the only dumb questions get asked by the guys named Steve. Isn't that right Renny.:whatever:

bigG
September 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Welcome aboard, Robert v2.0! Nice intro. You will really enjoy it here! :beer:

Kodiak3D
September 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Welcome, Robert! Plenty of new players on here (myself included). I hope your learning goes well. Just don't let yourself get too frustrated and keep rolling along.

mrmudcat
September 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
WELCOME:beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Welcome Robert! Nice intro! I also started playing guitar regularly at 43. Lots of us late bloomers here. I hope you enjoy it!

marnold
September 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Welcome, Robert! Mind if we call you "Steve" to keep it clear?

Tig
September 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Welcome to The Fret.

You had me at Lightnin' Hopkins!
Wow 4 boys between 7-14? Must be hard finding time to play guitar, eh? :messedup: :D
You'll find this is a great place to learn and discuss all things guitar, music, and you name it.

Retro Hound
September 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I don't get too frustrated except that I keep trying to jump ahead of my skill level. I just keep practicing 15-45 minutes everyday. Wish I had more time, but I don't. I don't worry about it too much though, practice is actually a great way to unwind and works as a stress reliever for me.

I have been pretty pleased with my progress and it's spurred the son to get serious with his playing. He seems to be leaning pretty fast and should pass me up in no time.

evenkeel
September 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Welcome to the group. :beer:

peachhead
September 24th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Welcome aboard, Robert! Glad to have you here!

luvmyshiner
September 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Welcome aboard Robert.

Rampant
September 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Greetings.

This is a great place. Mellow. Enjoy :)

Cheerz

Rampant

Trailer Park Casanova
September 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Welcome Robert.
Patience and perseverance is the key to the guitar.

My kids call Vinyl records CD's.
Yeah, it's that far behind us now BTW.

This is an outstanding forum.
A couple mustard seeds, can't get too blue with the posts,, but most everyone is really help full, and genuine.

Kazz
September 29th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Welcome to the madhouse Robert² I am seriously going to the wrong yard sales. I never find guitar deals like that in Southern Indiana.

Algonquin
September 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the Fret Robert.
Cheers :beer:

Brian Krashpad
September 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Welcome Robert! Good onya for supporting your boys (wow, four!-- better you than me, haha!).

Btw, a hint if you get a banjo, there are 2 common tunings, "C" and "G." I like G because the banjo is an open chord in G. Thus, once a player can barre the neck, she or he can play any song consisting of major chords only, simply by barring the correct fret. It's a great way for a beginner (I'm still one myself, haha) to be able to play a lot of folk-song type material without the tough learning curve of a batch of different fingerings.

Brian Krashpad
September 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
A couple mustard seeds...

Really tiny things used as Biblical allegory for describing spiritual growth?

:confused:

Retro Hound
September 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hey Brian, thanks for the info on the banjo.

MAXIFUNK
September 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
WELCOME RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE warned once this bug hits you there is never enough time for all the guitars you want, need , or wish for. Enjoy the ride of this journey.

Maxi........................... :rockon:

duhvoodooman
October 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Welcome to The Fret! Good to see another Robert here. That's my given name, too, but nobody calls me that, except my mom, when she's mad about something. Around here, I'm "DVM".

A Strat & an LP is how I started, too. But before you know it (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/mouseover_image_select.html).... ;) :D

Retro Hound
October 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM
DVH, that's funny. A year ago we didn't have a guitar in the house, now we have 6.

duhvoodooman
October 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM
...A year ago we didn't have a guitar in the house, now we have 6.
They call it G.A.S.--gear acquisition syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_Acquisition_Syndrome)--and it is a condition that widely affects (infects?) guitar players the world over. Which reminds me--it would be nice to have a black LP to go along with my black Strat. Those Agile AL-3100's (http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100bkslim.html)are pretty nice. Hmmmm....

Brian Krashpad
October 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
DVH, that's funny. A year ago we didn't have a guitar in the house, now we have 6.

Be careful!

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/7/m_fa5b5d5181ca46baa2bd513ee991bd6c.jpg

:AOK