PDA

View Full Version : New amp, need recommendations

Bandini
September 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hi!

I need to upgrade my gear, and I`d like to start with a new amp. I`ve been playing on a 50w transistor marshall, but I really want to change to a tube amp. I use a Gibson SG, and I mostly play music like, Stones, White stripes, Sabbath, Neil Young etc... When it comes to tube amps and guitargear I`m a total Newbie, so I hope you can give me some tips about amps (and maybe pedals)..

duhvoodooman
September 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
What will be the major use of the amp? Playing at home? Jamming with friends? Gigging in noisy bars? I assume not the latter if you're a "total Newbie", as you mentioned.

Also, what's your price range target?

hubberjub
September 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
There are lots of variables. Do you have ambitions of playing out with it?

markb
September 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
A budget and idea of size would be good.

FrankenFretter
September 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Vox Night Train. Yep.

ragnarpk
September 25th, 2009, 09:33 AM
just get a Diezel VH4S.

Dont worry about the cost. because its the ultimate in awesomeness.

Bandini
September 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
When it comes to gear, I`m a total newbie..I`ve never really bothered about that, but now I `m playing with friends in a basement, and amps really makes a difference.. Mostly I will use it for rehersals with the band, but maybe some day we will play for other people.. hmmm

Eric
September 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have a Crate V50 that is...discontinued, but that works great. Your current sizing of 50w and (I'm guessing) 1 x 12" is probably sufficient for your needs. I would think that most applications that would require more volume than that will have a house PA anyway.

Without knowing your budget, you might want to consider a used Fender Blues Junior. You might be able to score one for around $300. Yeah it's only 15w, but that's 15w of class A, so it's a lot louder than you might think.

I've heard good things about Behringer amps when it comes to bang for the buck, and people around here love Vox Valvetronix amps. Just some ideas...

VoodoChild
September 25th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I just bought 1 of these to down size my rig.Its 60W 2x12 combo has a good range of sounds , I see them on ebay for like $500-600 all the time .
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/amp.jpg

rylanmartin
September 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I just bought 1 of these to down size my rig.Its 60W 2x12 combo has a good range of sounds , I see them on ebay for like $500-600 all the time .
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/teampwr2/amp.jpg

Looks like a great amp. The only thing about Marshalls like that is I find it super hard to dial in nice tones at a low volume. I've found they tend to be super bright. If you're looking at something to play at a pants shaking volume, this would be badass!!

If you got that amp for 6 hundz I'd be very jealous...

msteeln
September 25th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds like you'd be best served by finding a Crate Vintage Club 30 w/2X12s.
They can be found cheap and are awesome all-round rock/country/jazz/whatever amps.
But keep it secret... :beer: